Here's a random thought...All female corps

My mind drifts on Fridays and this thought just floated in there...

What if there were an all female corps...how well would they do? I think quiet well...I could see the top talent wanting to go there, guard would be outstanding, best female horn players from all corps would converge to be a part of that, I think. The weak park would be percussion, specifically snare and tenor, but everything else would be the best females in DCI coming together. It'd be like a female DCI all stars corps.

Random, yes I know...

• Like 1

My mind drifts on Fridays and this thought just floated in there...

What if there were an all female corps...how well would they do? I think quiet well...I could see the top talent wanting to go there, guard would be outstanding, best female horn players from all corps would converge to be a part of that, I think. The weak park would be percussion, specifically snare and tenor, but everything else would be the best females in DCI coming together. It'd be like a female DCI all stars corps.

Random, yes I know...

you do know this would be nothing new dont you. There were some great Nationally known all female corps

• Like 2

Its not a foreign concept capitalairs were in Madison they merged with Madison Jr scouts to form capital sound which is now folded. Then there were the bandets from canada. I'm sure there were more but on a world class level it would be interesting to see.

If I recall closely, The Ventures finished somewhere around 23rd in the mid-80's....1985, possibly.

Since a high percentage of DCI mm are more talented than mm of days gone by, an updated version of all female corps would be interesting. Don't count out the percussion gals. BD has had a female center snare recently.

• Like 2

Someone should bring it back then...

Imagine pulling the best players from the top corps...I'd love to see that.

And I agree, more females are marching snare/tenors. The girl who was center for BD, the girl who was the tenor for SoA...I guess to start with they could march 5 and 3...I think it would encourage more females to pick up snare sticks.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

I guess to start with they could march 5 and 3...I think it would encourage more females to pick up snare sticks.

But, if this came to pass, other talented female drummers might consider D&BC and have a standard section from the get go.

• Like 1

But, if this came to pass, other talented female drummers might consider D&BC and have a standard section from the get go.

Totally agree...wouldn't that be cool to see?! 9 snares, 5 tenors, 5 basses all female ramming tasty notes.

I bet too you pitched this concept some top designers they'd be interested... Get Harlof (dude who works Crown's horn line) to come on board...they could be some serious competition.

I think that the "all girl" corps are relics of another day. If Madison and Cavies had not had traditions of being "all boy" corps dating back to their origin, I don't think they would have traction today either.

From what I recall of the all-girl corps, remembering Massachusetts favorites Jeanettes, Joanettes, Arabella, Debonaires as well as those who ventured to the World Open such as St. Ignatius, it was not percussion where the corps were not considered strong, it was in the horn lines. It was believed that the young women did not have the lung power. I'm not sure that would be the case today. I remember they were always clean as far as marching and maneuvering. They didn't always fare as well as their coed and all boy counterparts, but they were crowd favorites.

Where is lindap when you need her? I am going to steal info from her until she shows up.

There actually used to be an All-Girl class in DCI, in the 70's. Members included Alberta All Girls, Ventures, Jean-ettes, Mello-Dears, St. John's Girls, CapitolAires, Belles of St. Mary, Socialites and St. Ignatius Girls. They are all from Canada, east coast or mid-west.