Here's a random thought...All female corps

If I recall closely, The Ventures finished somewhere around 23rd in the mid-80's....1985, possibly.

Coincidentally, I just mentioned the Ventures in the "16-22 Corps" thread, as an example of an Open Class corps that scored higher than some World Class corps in the past.

In World Class, they placed 23rd, 24th, 24th, 22nd, and 20th, respectively, in the years 1986-1990.

Where is lindap when you need her? I am going to steal info from her until she shows up.

There actually used to be an All-Girl class in DCI, in the 70's. Members included Alberta All Girls, Ventures, Jean-ettes, Mello-Dears, St. John's Girls, CapitolAires, Belles of St. Mary, Socialites and St. Ignatius Girls. They are all from Canada, east coast or mid-west.

I was catching up in this thread and saying to myself "OMG, Does nobody remember the All-Girls division?"

Thanks.

• Like 3

Its not going to future happen, so I wouldn't waste much time thinking of something that probably has no shot of ever happening again.

But for history buffs here, in the 50's, one of the top 10 Corps in the entire Country( among several hundred back then ) was in fact an All Female Drum & Bugle Corps... the Audubon, N.J. Bon Bons. They won a couple of national titles against the guys ( even beat Holy Name Cadets ( today.. The Cadets ), all Male Madison Scouts, All Male Chicago Cavaliers, a time or two ), and hundreds of other Corps in competition made up of all male brass and all male percussion sections. They represented the state of New Jersey in the 1960 Presidential Inauguration Parade of JFK, among other things. They competed well into the 60's, but it was the 50's that was their national prominence stature heyday.

Edited by BRASSO

Where is lindap when you need her? I am going to steal info from her until she shows up.

There actually used to be an All-Girl class in DCI, in the 70's. Members included Alberta All Girls, Ventures, Jean-ettes, Mello-Dears, St. John's Girls, CapitolAires, Belles of St. Mary, Socialites and St. Ignatius Girls. They are all from Canada, east coast or mid-west.

There was also Les Chatelaines from Laval, Quebec. They won the A-Girl class a couple of times in the early 80's.

They were the first corps to use chairs on the field.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

Its not going to future happen, so I wouldn't waste much time thinking of something that probably has no shot of ever happening again.

But for history buffs here, in the 50's, one of the top 10 Corps in the entire Country( among several hundred back then ) was in fact an All Female Drum & Bugle Corps... the Audubon, N.J. Bon Bons. They won a couple of national titles against the guys ( even beat Holy Name Cadets ( today.. The Cadets ), all Male Madison Scouts, All Male Chicago Cavaliers, a time or two ), and hundreds of other Corps in competition made up of all male brass and all male percussion sections. They represented the state of New Jersey in the 1960 Presidential Inauguration Parade of JFK, among other things. They competed well into the 60's, but it was the 50's that was their national prominence stature heyday.

Which national championships did Audubon win against all male/co-ed corps BRASSO?

Which national championships did Audubon win against all male/co-ed corps BRASSO?

Aw geez, why do you guys need evidence.. ok.. here goes... just ONE of several examples of Audubon beating all male Corps:

1958 American Legion Finals ( not prelims ), Chicago, IL, Soldiers Field:

1) Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights.................... 91.850

2) Garfield ( The ) Cadets.........................................91.550

3) Chicago ( The ) Cavaliers.....................................90.370

4) Black Knights.........................................................90.290

5) AUDUBON BON BONS.......................................... 89.430

6) MADISON SCOUTS............................................... 88.900

7) Norwood Park Imperials......................................... 87.560

8) Patterson Cadets...................................................87.440

9) ST. VINCENTS CADETS.........................................86.420

10) ST. Catherine's Queensmen..................................85.980

11) RACINE KILITIES..................................................81.160

12 ) St. Louis Cadets...................................................80.160

There are shows where Audubon beat the Cavs too... and keep in mind that in 1958, some of these Corps were all male, with all male Guards too... but thats a start anywayfor you ( and others ) and I'm too tired now tonite to list others for you ( and others). Audubon did win a couple of nationals titles, against Corps that were all male... maybe I'll check on that tomorrow or whenever, Ghost.

Edited by BRASSO

When Blue Devils used chairs a few years ago I flashed back to a very good all girls corps. Les Chatelaines de Laval were quite good and used chairs to great effect. Their uniforms were about the strangest thing I had ever seen from a drum corps..... at least up to that point.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 1

Aw geez, why do you guys need evidence.. ok.. here goes... just ONE of several examples of Audubon beating all male Corps:

1958 American Legion Finals ( not prelims ), Chicago, IL, Soldiers Field:

1) Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights.................... 91.850

2) Garfield ( The ) Cadets.........................................91.550

3) Chicago ( The ) Cavaliers.....................................90.370

4) Black Knights.........................................................90.290

5) AUDUBON BON BONS.......................................... 89.430

6) MADISON SCOUTS............................................... 88.900

7) Norwood Park Imperials......................................... 87.560

8) Patterson Cadets...................................................87.440

9) ST. VINCENTS CADETS.........................................86.420

10) ST. Catherine's Queensmen..................................85.980

11) RACINE KILITIES..................................................81.160

12 ) St. Louis Cadets...................................................80.160

There are shows where Audubon beat the Cavs too... and keep in mind that in 1958, some of these Corps were all male, with all male Guards too... but thats a start anywayfor you ( and others ) and I'm too tired now tonite to list others for you ( and others). Audubon did win a couple of nationals titles, against Corps that were all male... maybe I'll check on that tomorrow or whenever, Ghost.

well you did say Cadets....and for the record Bon Bons came 2nd to them at a nationals

How can you do a tap dance away from this discussion? The Sox are winning, it's Friday night, and it's only 8:45 back East. Annnnnd, I want to know what National Championships they won "against the guys"?

Edited by Ghost

According to DrumCorpsWiki, in reference to the Audubon Bon Bons: In 1957 they took high drums and GE at the American Legion Nationals, placing second to the Holy Name Cadets.

• Like 1