Here's a random thought...All female corps

I'm trying to figure out how to watch 2 shows on FN tomorrow and get the weekend chores done.

I'll be watching the La Crosse, WI show and will catch up on Denver the next day. I'm too old to try and follow both.

I'm wondering how the fan network is going to function doing two shows on the same night. Have they ever done a two show night up to this point?

I'll be watching the La Crosse, WI show and will catch up on Denver the next day. I'm too old to try and follow both.

Oh Crap - weather not looking good for the La Crosse, WI show. Denver has a bit of rain in the forecast as well. Maybe there won't be any shows to watch tonight.

I think that the "all girl" corps are relics of another day. .

From what I recall of the all-girl corps,, it was not percussion where the corps were not considered strong, it was in the horn lines. It was believed that the young women did not have the lung power. They didn't always fare as well as their coed and all boy counterparts, but they were crowd favorites.

I know you mean well, and your history knowledge only goes back so far. But it would be a total disservice to the once young Women ( now old , or deceased) of the Audubon ( NJ) all Female Drum & Bugle Corps to have their accomplishments obliterated because we do not know, or value this history of this enterprise, we call " Drum Corps ". For the record, ( MikeD mentioned a bit of it ) here were just snippets of how the All Female Audubon " Bon Bons " fared at their height against " the guys" or the other Corps where females in these other Corps played neither Brass, nor Drums. :

In 1957, at the American Legion Nationals Championships, Audubon scored a 90.950, and placed 2nd, just 3 tenths behind the winner, Garfield ( The ) Cadets. Audubon won Percussion, beating the Cadets in Percussion. They also beat Blessed Sacrament, Boston Crusaders, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, Argonne Rebels, Selden Cadets, St. Catherine's Queensmen,, etc in both placement AND in Percussion as well.. Audubon beat 27 out of 28 national competitors in placement at this National Championships( the forerunner of DCI championships ), and topped all of them in Percussion.

In 1960, in Miami, at the American Legion National Championships, the All Female Audubon Drum Corps placed 3rd, and they won Brass. Yes, the " girls without lung power " as you said ,took home the High Brass Trophy at the National Championships this year.. Their Brass line beat Cadets, Chicago Royal Airs, Sky Ryders, St. Lucy's, Bracken Cavaliers ,etc among others.

In their heyday, they beat all ' the Guy " Corps at one time or another, ie Madison Scouts, Racine Kilties, Cadets, Blessed Sacrament, Cavaliers, etc... and most of the Coed Corps, ie Boston Crusaders, St. Lucy's, St. Kevin's, Chicago Royal Airs, and hundreds of others. In their heydey ( 50's ), they were a national top 5 Drum Corps, despite not having a male marcher anywhere in their marching ranks at any time for the over 40 years that they were in existence and in competition with others. In 1967, the entire Corps itself was elected into the Drum Corps Hall of Fame, and the coolest thing is...... they did not go into the Drum Corps Hall of Fame as an " All Female category " Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I'd like to be the first to congratulate our very own BRASSO on just being announced the recipient of the 2014 NOW Humanitarian-Of-The-Year Award. This is a most respected and honored achievement. Congrats, Big Guy!! :silly:

BTW...I fully agree with you (or at least your implied inference) that the achievements of these fine Corps have been sadly overlooked. It's good to see their accomplishments recognized -- even if it is so sadly belated.

Edited by HornTeacher

I'm sort of surprised that no female (AFAIK) has tried to force the issue and tried to gain membership in Madison or Cavies - or has a female tried? When Shannon Faulkner challenged the all-male student body at The Citadel and was was accepted into the school (and subsequently graduated), you would think that perhaps a female would eventually have challenged Madison's and Cavies' tradition as well. Obviously there are females from all sections that have the chops to make each of these corps.

I have a friend who sort of half-joked/half seriously said that she wanted to be the one to challenge the Cavaliers - but she reached her age-out age and never did it. She is now an excellent professional (French) Horn player and teaches at a university.

Edited by Quad Aces

I'm sort of surprised that no female (AFAIK) has tried to force the issue and tried to gain membership in Madison or Cavies - or has a female tried? When Shannon Faulkner challenged the all-male student body at The Citadel and was was accepted into the school (and subsequently graduated), you would think that perhaps a female would eventually have challenged Madison's and Cavies' tradition as well. Obviously there are females from all sections that have the chops to make each of these corps.

I have a friend who sort of half-joked/half seriously said that she would have be the one to challenge the Cavaliers - but she reached her age out age and never did it. She is now an excellent professional (French) Horn player and teaches at a university.

This is coming from someone with very progressive views and someone who didn't start following DCI until just a few years ago: let some tradition remain. It may seem like gender discrimination to not accept females into these 2 corps but the all male aspect of these corps is their identity. To take that away from them would kill the identity of the corps itself.

• Like 1

This is coming from someone with very progressive views and someone who didn't start following DCI until just a few years ago: let some tradition remain. It may seem like gender discrimination to not accept females into these 2 corps but the all male aspect of these corps is their identity. To take that away from them would kill the identity of the corps itself.

The would have to prove harm from not being allowed to join....kinda hard to do when every other competing corps in both divisions has girls all over the place.

"It was believed that the young women did not have the lung power. "

Yeah...I hate that kind of thought. We had the same thing in fencing, where women fenced shorter bouts (in score and time allowed) and ONLY in foil for years and year.

I'd kinda like to see those who pushed that idea go up against Mariel Zagunis or Carolyn Golubitsky in a 15 touch sabre or foil bout and get back to me on that....either one of those ladies would easily do the job.

The would have to prove harm from not being allowed to join....kinda hard to do when every other competing corps in both divisions has girls all over the place.

Yes, for some , there is a very restrictive transfer policy in place that strictly forbids transfers between certain Corps based exclusively and entirely upon one thing and one thing alone :..... gender. It is what it is, and all are encouraged to not rock the boat on this.And so nobody does, and thats that.

I'd like to be the first to congratulate our very own BRASSO on just being announced the recipient of the 2014 NOW Humanitarian-Of-The-Year Award. This is a most respected and honored achievement. Congrats, Big Guy!! :silly:

BTW...I fully agree with you (or at least your implied inference) that the achievements of these fine Corps have been sadly overlooked. It's good to see their accomplishments recognized -- even if it is so sadly belated.

I must return a compliment to you here, Horn Teacher.... from reading your posts, it came to my attention that you never marched, but that you go back a bit with this activity. You have an open, curious and inquisitive mind regarding the activity, especially its history. I personally find this an appealing aspect of your postings here. Now that I've said this, get off my lawn ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO