Uniforms (or Costumes if you prefer)... Hits or Misses over the years.

Oh Goodie. Just what the activity needed. Another corps wearing blue, black, and white trying to pretend they're from Concord, California.

http://www.seattlecascades.org/#!new-uniforms/c1bkd

Uniforms were not Cascades problem. Bodies with talent, good instruction, and depth of design and development are what this corps needs to wear to ascend the ranks.

Another new drill designer seeing different fabric as the panacea for better scores.

I don't think so.

Cascades just posted their new uniforms on their Facebook page (can't post the photo from my phone). Very different from what they've done before. Thoughts?

10403176_628021327299635_264116734672288

Can't say as I'm all that big a fan of the new look.

Uniforms were not Cascades problem. Bodies with talent, good instruction, and depth of design and development are what this corps needs to wear to ascend the ranks.

If this was the same corps as 2013 I'd agree with you in this aspect. I think all the things you mentioned were put into place last year and it showed with their show design which was superb in 2014. I have a lot of faith in what staff last years revamp brought in. New corps, new look is fine by me.

And they didn't just pick blue for the hell of it, they explained that they wanted to go back to their original colors. BUT I will agree that it's not my favorite uniform. We'll see what it actually looks like, but after their last look which I loved, this is a miss. Not the worst uniform I've ever seen, but definitely not my favorite. Not so bad that I cringe.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I suspect that some pert drill designer will think it clever, Eleran, to pull the intestine from the wound across the field and, voila, we will have a filler covering several yards, maybe even criss-crossing each other so to cover the field like a grid.

But alas, that too has been done before, not only in dci and drum corps but by many, many, many marching bands.

The reason, DMT, that colors were changed were because the other Seattle corps (Seattle Imperials) had used the red, white, and blue color scheme very well as they introduced the marching arts to ballet and Japanese movement concepts, attaining national stature in the process for the corps and the guard. When one said Seattle, one thought of Stanley Knaub and what he and the Imperials were creating there.

The green, white, silver and black embraced by the Cascades as their new identity were to remind one of the colors of the Pacific Northwest: trees, water, forest, fresh air, fog, mountains, rivers, etc.

Edited by xandandl