Should they pull a 1976 and cancel appearences for the next two weeks, and completely redo the show?

For you newer fans, in 76 they had a disco/funk show that did not score well. The pulled out of 2 weeks of shows, learned a new show based largely on the previous years show, and came in 2nd at DCI.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should they pull a 1975 and cancel appearences for the next two weeks, and completely redo the show?

For you newer fans, in 75 they had a disco/funk show that did not score well. The pulled out of 2 weeks of shows, learned a new show based largely on the previous years show, and came in 2nd at DCI.

I do believe that was '76.

You mean '76? Yeah, it's been discussed. As awesome as that would be, foctors that need to be weighed in include the fact that that was then, this is now (tour isn't spent cleaning for nothing), and that in 1976 they were coming off a chamionship year with many vets and members with a lot of experience.

Another thing that would be interesting is: would dci allow it? All of their promotions have a corps doing a certain show, and all of the programs have that show in them. What would happen with those?

How well would something like that work today? I mean, it would seem unrealistic unless maybe they scrapped a tune or something. But was it easy to pull off in 1975?

And what would DCI's stance on backing out of performances be today? I can't imagine they'd be too happy with it, but think of how much they could accomplish. I'd guess with how they finished last year, they are slated for an early performanace, causing a lot of ineffective rehearsal time...

You mean '76? Yeah, it's been discussed. As awesome as that would be, foctors that need to be weighed in include the fact that that was then, this is now (tour isn't spent cleaning for nothing), and that in 1976 they were coming off a chamionship year with many vets and members with a lot of experience.

Another thing that would be interesting is: would dci allow it? All of their promotions have a corps doing a certain show, and all of the programs have that show in them. What would happen with those?

focters?

Also, it's a different era. In today's DCI, you can't just up and change your show like that. In the 70's before there were really thought out themes, you could keep your drill but change your music.

Now, vets, if I'm wrong, then please speak now.

How well would something like that work today? I mean, it would seem unrealistic unless maybe they scrapped a tune or something. But was it easy to pull off in 1975?

And what would DCI's stance on backing out of performances be today? I can't imagine they'd be too happy with it, but think of how much they could accomplish. I'd guess with how they finished last year, they are slated for an early performanace, causing a lot of ineffective rehearsal time...

It's NEVER easy!

I look at it this way ..... DCI can stomp their feet ..... they could be major jerks and sue the corps for breaking contracts ... or they could do the right thing and let them do what needs to be done so that the Madison tradition carries on into the future.

I look at it this way ..... DCI can stomp their feet ..... they could be major jerks and sue the corps for breaking contracts ... or they could do the right thing and let them do what needs to be done so that the Madison tradition carries on into the future.

What does this mean, exactly? Is Madison in danger of folding? Are they having financial issues? Are their major staff problems that are causing the kids to have a miserable summer?

I don't think so. All thats happening is that they are scoring lower than we're used to seeing. What in the world does "doing the right thing" have to do with anything? Its not DCI's job to make sure Madison is a top 12 corps...its Madison's job. Is that Madison "tradition" somehow in jeopardy because they have a low scoring season? I'd like to think their "tradition" is built on something a teeny bit more than that.

From what I hear, those kids are having a good time this summer. THAT seems like a more important tradition to me.

Should they pull a 1976 and cancel appearences for the next two weeks, and completely redo the show?

For you newer fans, in 76 they had a disco/funk show that did not score well. The pulled out of 2 weeks of shows, learned a new show based largely on the previous years show, and came in 2nd at DCI.

No. Bad idea.

This is not 1976. The show's are far more complex and I doubt they could pull it off. Also, they don't have the same level of experience in the corps as they did then (coming off of a Championship year.) Also, you had a much longer "season" back in the '70s (typically started the week after Memorial Day and went until mid-late August) ... with probably only a four week tour. This left more time for refinement/reworking at home.

The cure for Madison's ills, if there truly is one, is not going to be a quick fix and not something done within the the six weeks left in the season.