Could the cadets be heading for the most unpopular dci victory ever?

most unpopular dci victory?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. are cadets maybe heading for the most un popular dci win of all time

• yes
    • no

Hey Folks -- I just had this email exchange with a good friend of mine -- we went to High School together.

He typed the words that I've been thinking --- enjoy:

Hear you with regard to fan reaction. I guess it is to be expected, though, same as any other

"sport". You certainly won't find Red Sox fans cheering the Yankees...I’m afraid we have a lot of

narrow-minded Folks following the corps activity. Too many people have their identity wrapped

up in a corps. I mean, SCV will always be my favorite and my bias, but I certainly recognize and

acknowledge better corps and lesser corps just the same. I don't always think they should win;

they aren't always good enough to win.

I get tired of the immature behavior, too. There are more

constructive ways to express an opinion, and certainly not to the kids that are out there doing

what they've been trained to do at the request of the leadership. That is just so unfair and

wrong.

My own bias at this point at least with the corps I've seen: Cavies, Devils, Cadets, Bluecoats...is

that the Cadets has the more engaging and entertaining show. Cavies are enjoyable but break

no new ground.

I think the narration is a little over the top,but I can appreciate the concept and my

oh my do they move and play with passion and do they ever command the field from the opening

statement to the closing remarks. Attributes that I didn't pick up at all from any of the

aforementioned corps.

Crown and Crusaders who have programs that engage the audience to a higher

level than some of those above them in scoring. so, at the end of the day, we should be asking

who is OUR personal winner and let the judges have their own little party. I mean, do we go and

watch to associate ourselves to a winner only? Or are we there to appreciate the diverse

offerings and efforts of all the corps respecting their differences with regard to concept, talent,

and of course, leadership? It would seem the former is all that is in play and being lost on the

audience is truly what these groups are doing to challenge not only their own members but our

thinking as an audience.

Will I ever see a show that I'm as partial to as the 1980 SCV? Probably not. but there are plenty

of programs better, right? They didn't even win or come close...but that show that year was my

winner. And it has stood the test of time....how often I pull that show out to watch and marvel,

and of course, let it take me back.

I fear that people are losing the ability to appreciate the activity for what it is and while competition

is certainly what has advanced the activity, it shouldn't be also what kills it.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know the kids at the Cadets work hard. All kids in drum corps work hard. What's your point? At least half or more of them are there because they think they can get a ring. They have enough talent and parent money to make it to any Div 1 corps but they choose to march Cadets because they think they can get the prize! And they just might get it this year. My problem with the Cadets has never been with the performers, but the Narration, Rabbits, Pink tables, Boxes, and Singing. I doubt that there are many of us here that dislike the Cadets simply because they are the cadets. It's because of the direction they are trying to take our beloved activity. Get a clue already! :rolleyes:

And how do you know this? Have you polled the membership?? What do you really know of ANY of the kids who march Cadets or even why they choose to march there? Betcha didn't know that the kids are told in the beginning of the year that if they've come in search of a ring then they've come to the wrong place. The Cadets have NEVER been about winning DCI. As for who needs a clue you need look no further than the closest mirror.

We all know the kids at the Cadets work hard. All kids in drum corps work hard. What's your point? At least half or more of them are there because they think they can get a ring. They have enough talent and parent money to make it to any Div 1 corps but they choose to march Cadets because they think they can get the prize! And they just might get it this year. My problem with the Cadets has never been with the performers, but the Narration, Rabbits, Pink tables, Boxes, and Singing. I doubt that there are many of us here that dislike the Cadets simply because they are the cadets. It's because of the direction they are trying to take our beloved activity. Get a clue already! :rolleyes:

You are the one who needs to get a clue. You know absolutely nothing about the organization if you think that most of them are there to get a ring. How many rings have they won in the past seven years? If most of them thought that, I would think they would join the Cavaliers. And most people have always had a problem with The Cadets before the Narration, rabbits, pink tables, boxes, and singing. Trust me. I know. I've marched there. So next time you want to make statements like that, make sure you have the facts to back it up.

You are the one who needs to get a clue. You know absolutely nothing about the organization if you think that most of them are there to get a ring. How many rings have they won in the past seven years? If most of them thought that, I would think they would join the Cavaliers. And most people have always had a problem with The Cadets before the Narration, rabbits, pink tables, boxes, and singing. Trust me. I know. I've marched there. So next time you want to make statements like that, make sure you have the facts to back it up.

OK - you are both correct but it's always fun to ruffle some Cadet panties!

OK - you are both correct but it's always fun to ruffle some Cadet panties!

It's even more fun to attack your rediculous statements.

It's even more fun to attack your rediculous statements.

Good for you! You are learning!

Mods, please, can you follow the same criteria you have with Madison, and just combine any new threads about the "controversial" Cadets' show into ONE thread?

Unless someone has something fairly original to bring to the table, all of these various Cadets thread are revolving around one rather tired point with two polar positions, so would do just as well being lumped together, imho.

Edited by mobrien

Mods, please, can you follow the same criteria you have with Madison, and just combine any new threads about the "controversial" Cadets' show into ONE thread?

Unless someone has something fairly original to bring to the table, all of these various Cadets thread are revolving around one rather tired point with two polar positions, so would do just as well being lumped together, imho.

Here here!!!

Unfortunately, you are not.

Nope - I'm not. I'll never learn to enjoy narration, gay rabbits, and pushing the envelope just for the sake of it. Now just give up! You will never win this debate with me. I'm an old fart that LOVES drum corps, but not Cadet borgs that defend them no matter what insanity they try to put on the field! Now just unbunch your panties and get on to the next Cadets love topic...... BYE!