Could the cadets be heading for the most unpopular dci victory ever?

most unpopular dci victory?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. are cadets maybe heading for the most un popular dci win of all time

• yes
    • no

:unsure: one question asked. Are the cadets heading for the most unpopular dci victory ever?

.... unpopular with the majority of dcp posters... i think so. But this poll can't speak for the entire dci fan base.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in that case, I hope you will not be sitting near me either.

You never know - I'll be proudly wearing my green Madison Polo and rooting for the Scouts and Crossmen and troopers above all.

Edited by Jazzycat1

Was 1991 Star unpopular? It seemed that a lot of people liked it even then; though the most popular show isn't always going to win. Didn't ALMOST everyone enjoy 2003 PR or 1995 Scouts?

Back on topic:

It seems that the OP was asking a simple question to me.

"are the cadets maybe heading toward the most un popular DCI victory ever?"

To answer that question; it doesn't seem so unpopular in the least or "no". I've read some pretty good reviews and listened to their youtube posts. Though the narration was distracting to me and many others (as I've read on DCP), it seemed like an enjoyable and great show all at once.

Edited by ravedodger

.... unpopular with the majority of dcp posters... i think so. But this poll can't speak for the entire dci fan base.

It could speak for a good sampling of the DCI fan base. I believe that both sides of the Cadets (and anti-Cadets) and narration fence are represented well.

It could speak for a good sampling of the DCI fan base. I believe that both sides of the Cadets (and anti-Cadets) and narration fence are represented well.

Oh, I disagree. DCP is not even close to a cross-section of the average show audience.

The problem is that I'm coming to my opinion by ranking this show against the champions going all the way back to the beginning of DCI, and I ask myself, "Would I listen to ALL those other shows before I listen to this show?" and "Would I be willing to listen to the shows from those years or even this year that finished 2nd through 6th BEFORE I'd listen to this show?" If the answer is yes, then I'd say it's the most unpopular winner of DCI. If your answers to those questions are no (especially the first question), then it's likely not the most unpopular winner.

Oh, I disagree. DCP is not even close to a cross-section of the average show audience.

I wouldn't say that the average show audience is actually comprised of DCI fans either. Meaning that a huge percentage of the audience is going to have lots of band kids, band boosters and band parents. Do these people represent anywhere near 50% of the people in attendence? Most likely not even close, but enough to skew numbers.

edit--left out something important.

These band members, boosters and parents can have some DCI fans in the mix, but typically, most of these people are here (at shows) to support the band programs and will not likely attend another DCI show again. I see it all the time. The majority of these people look at drum corps as nice marching bands and want hot dogs and a soda every time a new group takes the field.

Edited by ravedodger

The problem is that I'm coming to my opinion by ranking this show against the champions going all the way back to the beginning of DCI, and I ask myself, "Would I listen to ALL those other shows before I listen to this show?" and "Would I be willing to listen to the shows from those years or even this year that finished 2nd through 6th BEFORE I'd listen to this show?" If the answer is yes, then I'd say it's the most unpopular winner of DCI. If your answers to those questions are no (especially the first question), then it's likely not the most unpopular winner.

Not sure about that, as the context of time is missing from what you say. A lot of people of today, apparently, do not care for 70's drum corps, so the wildly popular winners of that era would not be as popular as the wildly popular winner of a more recent year.

I don't think that approach has much validity, at least in determining the least...or most...popular DCI champion.

You never know - I'll be proudly wearing my green Madison Polo and rooting for the Scouts and Crossmen and troopers above all.

Well, there is one thing we do have in common. . .I will be loudly and proudly rooting on The Crossmen.

I wouldn't say that the average show audience is actually comprised of DCI fans either. Meaning that a huge percentage of the audience is going to have lots of band kids, band boosters and band parents. Do these people represent anywhere near 50% of the people in attendence? Most likely not even close, but enough to skew numbers.

edit--left out something important.

These band members, boosters and parents can have some DCI fans in the mix, but typically, most of these people are here (at shows) to support the band programs and will not likely attend another DCI show again. I see it all the time. The majority of these people look at drum corps as nice marching bands and want hot dogs and a soda every time a new group takes the field.

But a lot will come back..I see THAT all the time. DCI is targeting those people, and it seems to be working. IMO a site like DCP is for the truly drum corps fanatical people...a small yet vocal subset of reality. And...as they are the ones who are fanatics about the activity...and like it the way it is/was when they were participants...they will tend to not like changes like amps. Look at the HUGE furor mulit-key caused in RAMD before DCP was created.