Utterly Disgusted!

Major League Baseball parks are ejecting fans who refuse to remove t-shirts such as "Yankees Suck", and some Barry Bonds bashers were ejected for wearing t-shirts that simply said, "Cheater". What if suddenly people started wearing "(insert corps name here) Suck!"

On the other hand, while in poor taste, the anti-Cadets tee is not offensive in its language.

Discuss.

I think that is the main point in question. Offensive language is a trigger. "Cheater" could also be defamation of character.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major League Baseball parks are ejecting fans who refuse to remove t-shirts such as "Yankees Suck", and some Barry Bonds bashers were ejected for wearing t-shirts that simply said, "Cheater". What if suddenly people started wearing "(insert corps name here) Suck!"

On the other hand, while in poor taste, the anti-Cadets tee is not offensive in its language.

Discuss.

Trust me, if someone wore a shirt that said any corps sucks, I'm sure I would find ample support from others in the audience to destroy that guy.

I might buy it just to have. Maybe wear it somewhere once or twice.

However, in Pasadena I'll be wearing the T-shirts/hats/stuff of the corps I'm supporting and cheering for. ^OO^

1. It's freedom of speech.

2. It's much better then booing or being disrepectful during an actual performance.

Trust me, if someone wore a shirt that said any corps sucks, I'm sure I would find ample support from others in the audience to destroy that guy.

They used to be for sale around 1976 at DCA.... It was a drawing of a guy in uniform carrying a horn and the word balloon said "Drum Corps Sucks". The uni he was wearing plus a tymp and flag in the background had the emblems from different corps. There was another shirt with the same guy but no word balloon. Instead it had the 1975 DCA Finalist names on the shirt.

The DC sucks shirt was tongue in check humor. Guy looked like he was also thinking "What the #### am I doing this for."

LMOA - Forgot this came from the slightly twisted mind of JJ..... :P

PS - Still think it's cleaner than the "BLOW THIS" shirt I saw few years back..... (had the picture of a mouth piece on it).....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Be careful about playing the 1st Amendment "freedom of speech" card here. The 1st Amendment states that the GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your freedom of speech. DCI is a private organization and they can place whatever restrctions on attire they want for their events. If they want to impose a dress code, they can, although it would likely be bad for business, which is probably why they don't. But they COULD. Some restaurants have dress codes. The MLB examples above have nothing to do with slander -- MLB is trying to create an environment where those kind of shirts are not welcome. They are free to restrict whatever clothing they like. They feel that attendance will not suffer with the removal of the above examples, but they are FREE to draw that line wherever they want -- and must live with the possible market forces reaction -- i.e., lower ticket sales. DCI, too.

Ok so I was at Allentown (both nights) and I saw the most disgusting shirts. These horrible shirts say "This I believe Shut up and Play". I think that this shirt shows a lack of respect for the activity.
I would think it pretty likely that some of the people wearing those shirts believe that a show dominated by narration shows a lack of respect for the activity.

In 1986, The Cadets sold a shirt which had a circle slash around the corps logo and read "Anybody but Garfield!"

Although the United States Constitution guarantees the freedom of speech, it cannot guarantee that such speech is in good taste. It used to be that you bought a corps' shirt to show off your loyalty for a corps. I hate to see drum corps fans lowering themselves to the tastless, low-class mentality that seems to be permeating our society.

I would love to have one.Know where I could get one????

I love the No amps and no mics shirts and hats.

The Friends don't let freinds shirts I made up sold fairly well.Ive got a few sizes left.Close out Price is $10 if anyone wants one.

Bb_tshirt2.jpg

edwardamason@yahoo.com

Bb? You mean the note?

While we're on the subject of shirts, here's a shameless plug for one I created:

tl-Nailed%20My%20Dot.jpg

http://www.zazzle.com/fieldpaint/product/235715690203426077

I would think it pretty likely that some of the people wearing those shirts believe that a show dominated by narration shows a lack of respect for the activity.

In 1986, The Cadets sold a shirt which had a circle slash around the corps logo and read "Anybody but Garfield!"

To the '86 shirt: If you're good, you're good :D

That year, the Blue Devils were good, so that guy got his wish.

I forgot.... Drum Corps doesn't suck....

DRUM CORPS IS EVIL

For you DCI types, it's on a shirt the SF Renegades sold a few years back.

Still one of my favorite shirts and usually get a few WTF looks when I wear it. ^0^ :P