Your Most Embarrassing Moment in Any Performance

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in PR05, there was a part of the show where we had this 4 count hold (I think 4?) in the 2nd number where the guard did a weird 45 toss, catch it and then GO again. I was almost right on the 50 but my next, oh... 5 sets or so were in a DEAD SPRINT over to about the 10 or 15 yard line. Well this one show... which was a regional in, I think, San Antonio... I did something crazy like either drop to toss or screwed up my hands after I caught it and managed to lose it. Which was BAD considering I was basically dead center, it was a regional, and I was basically SCREWED for my next so many sets!

I also had a really funny fall in a run thru or practice one year. It was KK 03 and we had this dance where we were trying to be cute or something. There was this move where we kinda pushed our butt out... well, I must have been TOO into it because I hit that move and slipped and fell RIGHT on my face! Everyone laughed.

I have a couple... but both are very mild. I think it's safe to say that thankfully I never had any serious incidents performing. But there were a few times that were pretty close.

#1 - 1997 show in Alton, IL. The field was muddy as heck... it was the very end of the show and we had some pretty crappy drill in our "original" ending that had me hauling straight backwards at something like a 4 to 5 or whatever. I don't know what it actually was, nor do I care. It never mattered to me though because I'm tall and I never had problems with it.

It was the "silent" drill we had for the flag feature right before we hit the last loud note to end the show. I am hauling... back, back, back, back... locked to change directions to go forward... and it was a HUGE mud puddle... but I remember then going those last 8 counts - slip, slip, lunge, slide, skid, slip, slide, slip, halt to finish off the show. I wish I had it on video! I literally did everything except fall or drop my horn. Thankfully I was the point of this "star" form and if anyone was around me I may have taken them out.

I never fell in my 4 years of marching corps, but that was by far the closest and probably looked a lot worse than it was. But while it was happening, pretty scary moment. I know I flailed a bit... went left and right... came SO close to crashing and burning, but I landed that ending without any harm.

But what makes this story stick out to me is the fact that jeff gave me marie czapinsky's vis effect tape from that show where she basically congratulated me on my "save". On the tape you hear her go "whoa, whoa, whoa... whew... you go!! nice save!" :) So, that makes it somewhat embarrassing. haha! (I have that tape someplace but no tape deck to play it back).

#2 - Now this one was actually embarrassing to me. My age out year, 1998, I was blessed with being the closing soloist for our corps song/Rainbow. It was the HUGE home show in Des Plaines and there were numerous alumni in attendance and it was quite an event for The Cavaliers. We did a standstill performance and closed it as usual with our corps song/Rainbow medley.

At this point in my short career as a mellophone player with the corps (playing 1996 and 1998) and having played that solo at least 100 times, I was confident and always made sure I nailed that solo F at the end. Thankfully I never missed it in any performance, nor a rehearsal... I don't think.

But at this performance, the one in front of all these alumni, parents, family and friends who ALL stayed late to listen to our encore ended up getting a good taste of what it sounds like to have a horn gurgle at you at the (second) most beautiful part of the tune. I took a breath and played the note... and it started just fine... but then... gurgle, gurgle, dahhhhh, gurg-gur-gurgle-gur, dahhhh...

Oh my lord... I felt so bad. I was actually more angry than embarrassed, because I always remembered to empty my spit before we played Rainbow, and I think I forgot this one time. Grrrr!!!

:)

Oh well...

Those are my experiences.

Edited by GeorgeHester

2 More

1) Our drumline hit a drum judge in three straight shows and he went off on our staff claiming that we were intentionally coming after him.

2) Not me, but one of the guys in our snare line in 94 left his drum outside the truck and Ralph Hardimon (who taught our line that year) took it and put it in the window of his camper.

Edited by trwiggin

Magic 02 was it, tenor drums?

'Twas '03 during the opener, tripped over a drum on the field. Judge helps him up and he finishes the show. If you listen to a recording of that show you will hear a random applause at a very quiet part of the show and that's why.

1990...we had just added the "Bernstein Nightmare" a day ago, as it was called....after the Galop (yes, correct spelling...), we did this statement from "Sanctus"...yadda, yadda, and then there was this statement from Appalachian Spring where we did a "Stop and Go", and I blew it by 2 counts.....you guessed it....TRAIN WRECK!! I was next to the center snare, and 3 other cats came crashing into me!

Thank God it was a quick recovery, and by the time we hit the "Tonight, Tonight" company front, it was over. Lee Beddis was the center that year, and boy, did we ever go head-to-head that night! Of course, it was my fault, but in the Cadets back then, there was a No-Screw-Up policy in effect at ALL times!

Not a good time, but hey...everyone has to tick at least once, right? :)

'Twas '03 during the opener, tripped over a drum on the field. Judge helps him up and he finishes the show. If you listen to a recording of that show you will hear a random applause at a very quiet part of the show and that's why.

No, he was right. It was '02 in Madison, Magic's return year in D2 and then making it to Semifinals in D1.

Guard girl was moving a drum off the field and tenor player marching backwards tripped over a leg on the stand. You are correct about the rest though.

1997-

I fracked at least one note on one of my solos for a good portion of the season. But on Finals night I made it past the two that I ussually fracked on only to mis hit a pitch on the third solo on the CD!!! AHHHHHHHHHH ^0^ The good news about the whole thing is that the camera was pointing at my friend Andy Smart instead of me, so I was a little hidden until now.

1998-

1) I was so excited that my hometown was hosting us for the San Antonio show. They cooked us BBQ and gave us quite the welcome. We were rehearsing in the stadium that broght back so many fond memories and I was running towards the sideline coming out of the Tchikosvky and I slipped in front of my family and friends and fell flat on my a@@!!! My last great moment in that stadium!!! :doh:

2) We got quite the rousing ovation at the beginning of the New World Ballad and I thought the guard must have been engaging the crowd big time!! As I found out one of our member's was, her pants had fallen down revealing pink undies. :sshh:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

This isn't the worst thing in the world, but in terms of exposure it was pretty bad. At least when somebody has an embarrassing moment during a show, there are other things to look at, and only a fraction of the audience notices. Everyone saw this one.

At Madison's home show, a number of the hornlines played a mass "You'll Never Walk Alone" at retreat. It was huge--SCV, Scouts, Junior Scouts, 27th Lancers, Blue Devils, and Bridgemen IIRC. We formed two arcs, and I ended up in the front arc right on the 50. Madison's DM gave a dress-center, then a ready-front, and my mouthpiece came flying out. It had been raining earlier, and the ground was soft, so of course my mouthpiece landed bore-down and took out an unremovable hunk of turf.

So after retrieving it, I turned around and the Madison Junior Scout to my left was giggling. For a split second I was going to throw an elbow when I got back to the line, but fortunately thought better of it.

I fell at the Charleston, WV show in 93. In additon I think around three other hornline members fell, at isolated times during the same show. I remember the speach George gave after the show he just point blank told us 'you have to stop falling'. It was particularly embarrasing for me because all of my high school friends were at that particular show.