The 2007 DCI QuarterFinals in Theaters.

Very good crowd in Dayton tonight with lots of knowledgeable and PASSIONATE drum corps fans (the best sort!).

And boy did we let Hopkins have it!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so rest of SA scoupe... basically everything you heard so far. The broadcast didnt start on time and the fat ### manager was just standing there and smiling and i went to ask what was wrong cuz i didnt pay 18 bucks to look at a no signal sign and watch a 5 minute counter count down 20 times. Finally they got it on the middle of the scouts and on top of that the sound was still out!!! totally ###### at this point finally the crossmen came on and everything seemed to settle down and we actually started enjoying the show only to get to the blue stars and have a false fire drill go off because of problems with the alarm. no fire no emergency. at first the lady told me its ok just a problem with alarm and we can stay in only to be followed by a cop and then yelled at to get outa the building were an almost sold out crowd stood very angry outside. I talked to a mom whos son was in the cavies and she drove all teh way from dallas!! because dallas was sold out only to get this crap. Then they decided to let only the dci people back in the building since the even was live and we missed spirit and academy. We all came back to a nice fuzzy front only speakers (no surround on) and plus the sound flickered now and then and the projector was out of focus. Im truely fed up and dissapointed in Regal Celio Vista because this is the 3rd time i went to a DCI event there and they screw somthing op. If anyone from DCI reads this, please do your fans a favor and do not do business with this pathetic excuse of a movie theater. Instead go with Santikos, there facilities are well maintained and the staff is way more professional and nice. hint, =you should use the new Santikos Palladium next event, they have IMAX capablilities and that would draw alot of money. All the Regal bs asaid I had a great night watching many fabulouse shows. I truly feel bad for teh cadets kids because there what looked to be, stoned director caused them 2 points when Im sure they could very well have marched with no hashes... cavies did. Stop crying hop, no ones gonna goldbond you anymore.

Eagan MN. was sold out I liked everything but Hoppy and the pit was way too loud.

Peace

King of Prussia PA, yes indeed, the mallet instruments were far too high in the mix

they seemed to have the ability to focus the audio, it moved around

pit volume was way out of balance and really irritating

KoP cheered for Jersey Surf

loved Crown (no surprise)

reacted to 78 Crossmen footage

and yes booed that one guy dressed in black

Edited by BeinGreen

I don't know if it's the theater's fault or the sat company's fault, but we had horrible picture color at first (so very pea green, yuck!), then it all went blank in the early part of Pacific Crests' show. It came back intermittently in a lovely shade of purple for a few minutes. Finally they got it fixed right as Madison entered the field.

We had a couple of other small blips throughout the night, but at least they only lasted a second or two. Oh, it totally freaked out when they played the ONQ.org promo. What the heck is that, anyway? And I would swear the volume of horn lines toward the end of the night was making the signal cut out.

So, who should get my letter of complaint? Fathom Events? DCI? Theater? All?

(edited to add I was at the theater in Austin)

Edited by TerriTroop

Atlanta was a huge crowd as usual.

Biggest cheers were for Academy, Spirit (of course), Crown, and Regiment.

The crowd was pretty much indifferent to the last 4 performers.

Crowd booed Hopkins, cheered 2 point penalty.

On a personal note, this is the first time I have seen the shows this year and there are a lot of good shows!

Felt bad for Madison but did not think their show was as bad as I had heard.

Thought Academy was great, if not in Finals this year, should be next year.

LOVED Crown, what a great show.

Loved Regiment (big surprise there)

I expected MUCH more from the Cavaliers. I did not think this show was up to the standard they have set the last 5 years or so and was a step backward for them. (guess it wouldn't kill us if someone else won LOL)

Cadets did nothing for me, didn't care for their show a bit. Again thats just my personal opinion, I have been a HUGE Cadets fan for 20+ years but the last 3 years have been a downward slide.

In all honesty I thought they deserved the penalty if for nothing else holding up BD.

I didn't see any drill going on that put anyone in danger if the front hash was a bit faded.

(Cavies managed just fine)

BD has a fun show, but didn't really strike me as anything special. Didn't seem to have that "championship" feeling.

All in all I thought this years shows are a great bunch of shows.

I watched the Quarterfinals at the Irvine Spectrum (Irvine, CA) tonight and had a great time. I hate to say it, but Hop made the evening even more interesting. Talk about making your $18.00 dollar ticket work. Controversy aside, I had such a fun time with Carolina Crown and Santa Clara Vanguard. Very entertaining shows. Having said that, I felt Blue Devils' show was spectacular and was clearly the strongest show of the evening. Their show is so brilliantly evil and powerful. It assaults your senses relentlessly. Quite honestly, the sound beats you into submission.

There were a few minor blips at the Pavillions in Denver, but nothing half as bad as what you experienced. Might want to get ahold of Fathom as I don't think DCI had anything to do with the quality of the feed.

We had some sound mix ups every now and then. But I hated how DCI did the camera work for MANY of the corps especially Cavies. I've never seen that many pit and guard shots in my LIFE during one drum corps show! I love how they said "this corps is the most athletic out there today". YOU SHOWED THE PIT MORE THAN THE 8TH PLACE CORPS IS GOING TO GET AIRTIME FOR THEIR WHOLE SHOW ON THE ESPN Broadcast! JMHO B)

I caught QuarterFinals in Sacramento and the crowd was on the lighter side. I have a hunch many of 'em are down in Pasadena. Wish I could be down there as well, but so it goes.

The crowd was overall appreciative, especially for the Top 8 or so. SCV, Crown and BD got the biggest reponses, and many Cavies fans were also representing. And yes, there were some WTF? moments when Hopkins pulled Cadets off the field. I did think the sound was a little too trebly at times, and a bit of hum sometimes came through the feed. But overall, I got my $18 (plus concessions) worth.