IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

1. no one is telling you how to think

2. the winner is NOT booed "every year" - which is what I am wondering about / of course there is nver 100% concensus on the victor - but since 1991 I can't remember too many huge boos about who won

Yes, you "borgs" are continually telling me how to think. Every time you say "get over it," or "look beyond it," or "you're close minded," or "drum corps must evolve," or "that's been decided - move on," etc. etc. etc., that's telling me how to think, in my opinion. In my opinion.

I recall lots of booing in pre-1991 Finals; but since you said "since 1991," how about 1993 - I recall all sorts of booing, I'm guessing, by those who thought Phantom should have won. How about 2000 - was the booing all about the tie for first? Or was it displeasure that Cavies rose from 2nd in semis to tie to first in finals (to tie the CADETS)? My point - there has been booing, and, what it's about is in the eye of the beholder. Is it because Cadets win, or because some peoples' favorite corps didn't win? I wouldn't necessarily conclude that booing is an anti-Hopkins anti-amps anti-narration thing.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one booed the victor in 1993 - that's what I'm referring too

& do not mean to "tell you what to think" - I hate that too so if you feel I have - I apologize.

Maybe the booing was because the Finals was in Jackson, Mississippi (which I'm sure is a nice place, indoors, in air conditioning, in August. But in a football stadium......)

No need to apologize - all I'm trying to say is there's lots of diversity of opinion, and, we shouldn't dismiss each others' views (and I'm not talking about you, George, I'm saying in general). Maybe some people can express their views more eloquently than others, so some come across wrong, but, that doesn't diminish the real feelings people have. I know I type things I regret or that didn't convey what I was trying to say. And on the other hand, I know, sometimes it's fun to argue, when you're in the mood, so people take contrary positions, just because..... Anyway, one thing "I believe" is that we all love drum corps. Peace.

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this opinion, but I've been sitting on it for a while. I would imagine a vast majority of the big time corps (top 7 or so) are either in college or at a minimum juniors in high school. Last time I checked, people booing in college or even high school sports was not only accepted, but it is to be expected. Are we suggesting that since these performers are musicians that they are softer than athletes? I see no problem with corps being booed. People will say "it's not right to boo because they have been working hard all year". Tell that to the 110,000 spectators at Ohio Stadium when Michigan comes to town. How rude of them to boo those poor football players. You don't hear that too often, do you?

By the way, I've never booed a corps even tho I have greatly disliked their shows (see Cadets '06)

Edited by Lancerman07

Will people boo? Simple answer is, I hope not. I feel much as you do George, that I enjoy the music of this Cadets show, even if it isn't my favorite. I enjoy some of the narration, probably about half of it, though the other half is disappointing. If the Cadets are named championships, I'll cheer as hard as I did last year for the Cavaliers (well, maybe a little less, but we all have our favorites :P)

With that said, I'd honestly be disappointed if this show wins. Certainly the performance is stellar, even on the preseason CD I was highly impressed with what I was hearing from the corps. However, I don't feel this show should be scoring so high in GE. And I'm not one to talk about GE as though it means "entertainment".

I just dont' feel that this show is as well put together as its competitors. There's no real flow, it's a tale of two halves. There's vocals, some music, more vocals, different music. When you listen to the show without any vocals at all, you can really feel how disjointed a production it is. And when you listen to the vocals by themselves, you realize how unfocused the entire narration is.

I don't have any problem with this show philosophically, but I feel it could have been done better. The idea, the concept that the show is based on, is never refined or defined to my satisfaction. I like that the Cadets are pushing buttons with their show, and I truly appreciate that they're reaching out... I just don't think they grasped their target well enough to be scoring where they are.

They booed in 2005. Cadets have a great show this year. I think most people are bothered by the loud narration. But I honestly don't think the show would mean as much without it. They sound fantastic.

This I Believe, if the Cadets did the Blue Collar Comedy Tour Version of "I Believe," it would be a hands down winner.

RM - I believe I'll shut up now

ampssuck

And on that note, can we close this thread. No offense to the debate going on, by I think the OP, as an outspoken proponent of closing threads with the same topic would agree - as there is another thread on the same exact topic, and it includes a poll....

just a thought :)

Couple thoughts on this, some may have already been touched upon.

First off, in regards to the close-mindedness argument. I don't think that people who do not like the narration are automatically "closed-minded". But I do feel that when you start going into the whole If-Cadets-Win-Where-O-Where-Is-This-Activity-Headed meme, that you may be walking that line. It's been stated before that the only corps out there that's following the direction of the Cadets are the Cadets themselves. If Hop would be in danger of ruining anything, it would be his own corps, not the activity as a whole. It seems there are people out there who harp on the Cadets as though they have the power to single-handedly wipe drum corps off the map....

Secondly.... Things may be different out there on the west coast, but I've seen the Cadets twice this summer and at each show, they've gotten the biggest reaction. Their opener alone had the stands on their feet. I have a hard time thinking that they would get full on booed if they won in Pasadena.

Personally, I love their show this year. It's my favorite since 2000. And I wish them (and all the corps) the best of luck on the 11th.

Secondly.... Things may be different out there on the west coast, but I've seen the Cadets twice this summer and at each show, they've gotten the biggest reaction. Their opener alone had the stands on their feet. I have a hard time thinking that they would get full on booed if they won in Pasadena.

Personally, I love their show this year. It's my favorite since 2000. And I wish them (and all the corps) the best of luck on the 11th.

This is an excellent point. Although it pains me to say it, this show is (imo), much more fan friendly than 2005, although it wont break 99. While 2005 was designed to leave people feeling confused and uneasy, this show is actually, at the heart of the matter, much more straightforward. An incredible, angry, opener (not that liquid was bad), a rockin middle tune, a decent ballad (the one place 05 wins...duh), and a ridiculous closer (far better than 05 imo). While this show may offend the anti amp crowd a little more than 05 because the voice is so prevelant, i think it just plain garners more reaction because there is more musical and visual candy.

My "closed-minded" comment is about folks who head into the show deciding ahead of time to hate it - I've seen that first hand and I feel that is close-minded. Also - "hating" an entire show due to one aspect. I tend to take the approach of "looking for something to love" and "ignore the aspects I don't care for"

For example - never really like Cavaliers music - but I can always enjoy the corps for the great visuals and guard. Plus - still can admire the *quality* of the musical performance even if you don't like the actual notes.

It's about being open minded - if there is something on the field you don't like / just look somewhere else - these corps have so many things going on for folks to dwell on one aspect they hate. That's the "close-minded" - all or nothing - approach I am referring to.

I don't agree at all with this...Drum corps is about hearing and sight...2 things. When one of those is "ruined" with something you don't like, you are only left with half a show. And when the one thing that was "ruined" is the most important part to a person, well, they aren't gonna like the show. That's not necessarily closed minded. That's just how people tick...

I hate pickles...with a passion...make me nauseous at the smell of them, and if I mistakenly taste one, clear the area. I was eating a meal, when a friend (yeah, he's still a friend..hehe) decided he was gonna sneak up on me and rub a pickle under my nose. Obviously, it ruined the whole meal for me...

That's what narration is to a lot of the people that are anti-narration. The pickle. We CAN'T separate out the narration, because that's how we are wired. I came to the show to hear horns blazin, drums bangin' and color guard topping it off with a visual feast. Talking ruins the show for us. Do you like it when you are sitting watching a movie at the theatre and the kids behind you are talking the whole time? Talking to the point where it is VERY distracting....can you just tune that out?

Leave talking to the rap stars and talk show hosts...leave drum corps to horns, drums, and color guard...