IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

I don't agree at all with this...Drum corps is about hearing and sight...2 things. When one of those is "ruined" with something you don't like, you are only left with half a show. And when the one thing that was "ruined" is the most important part to a person, well, they aren't gonna like the show. That's not necessarily closed minded. That's just how people tick...

I hate pickles...with a passion...make me nauseous at the smell of them, and if I mistakenly taste one, clear the area. I was eating a meal, when a friend (yeah, he's still a friend..hehe) decided he was gonna sneak up on me and rub a pickle under my nose. Obviously, it ruined the whole meal for me...

That's what narration is to a lot of the people that are anti-narration. The pickle. We CAN'T separate out the narration, because that's how we are wired. I came to the show to hear horns blazin, drums bangin' and color guard topping it off with a visual feast. Talking ruins the show for us. Do you like it when you are sitting watching a movie at the theatre and the kids behind you are talking the whole time? Talking to the point where it is VERY distracting....can you just tune that out?

Leave talking to the rap stars and talk show hosts...leave drum corps to horns, drums, and color guard...

Ohhh good, this debate again. Lets see, the whole kids talking behind you thing is old...whether or not you like it, the talking in the cadets show IS a part of their show (this point is not open to debate) whereas talking behind you in a movie theater is not part of the movie. To compare it to non-related babble, regardless of how you feel about the narration, is a faulty comparison.

As far as the pickle thing goes, i guess you can dumb it down however you want. We had a guy on here in june say that he wouldnt try being gay just to be open minded, which just shows that you can use just about any example to prove any point. I am still more of the mind that any person should be able to find something to like in a show. Its well known that I cant stand the way the cavaliers integrate their brass book with their marching (its complicated)...like, it literally annoys me. Guess what....I think their music is the best its been in years, i whistle the opening solo all the time, and I still think some of their drill (ground rolling included) is pretty darn cool. Do i still have a major beef with them that I am probably not going to get over? - you bet, but I will still find things to enjoy, especially when I'm paying nearly 1000 bucks for my finals experience :)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave talking to the rap stars and talk show hosts...leave drum corps to horns, drums, and color guard...

^OO^ couldnt have said it better myself.

To be clear, i used to be a HUGE Cadets fan. I was taught by Cadet Age Out staff, and just loved them. 05 i liked, it pushed my limits but i liked it. 06 confused me and completely made me sick. This year: GREAT music, wonderful show....its just too bad i cant appreciate it because there is constantly someone talking, its very distracting. I would like to just sit and enjoy the music, why is that so wrong? Hop even wanted to put spotlights on the members narrating, but its against DCI rules. <**>

I love broadway, and musicals as next as the next person, but I like those shows for different reasons than i like drum corps. Drum corps is one of a kind, keep it that way...dont merge it with the stage shows.

I just think Cadets need to go back to how they were 90s,early 2000...THOSE are the Cadets people fell in love with, those are the Cadets that made me want to march.

I just think Cadets need to go back to how they were 90s,early 2000...THOSE are the Cadets people fell in love with, those are the Cadets that made me want to march.

I am/was the exact same way when I chose to march. Apparently, people are still falling in love with them, if their talent levels this year are any indication....

Lol....no offense to you specifically, but the most annoying thing about the cadets show to me, is that we have to endure post after post of people ending with 'this I believe' and a devil sign, thinking they are clever or something.

sheesh

sorry....its 2 am and im ranting waiting for scores :)

It's similar to my situation as a Barry Bonds and HUGE Giants fan sitting at Dodger Stadium. I root for the Giants no matter what. I root for Barry no matter what. When I do so at Chavez Ravine, I'm not gonna care what those around me say. It's going to be enough just to dodge all the M&Ms and unshelled peanuts bouncing off my Giants cap.

As a Cadets fan, you have to suck it up. Consider what Barry's going through. Can't be worse than that.

I do suspect that the Cadets are on steroids with that show they've got there. B)

Don't expect much more than polite applause if the Cadets do take it, however.

I'm rootin' for SCV and Phantom, but I won't boo the Cadets, I'll just politely clap.

Go Barry! ^0^

Pretty much. Either way, if they do win, I'll be screaming for them. But if not, I will still support whoever wins. It's all about having fun and enjoying what the kids provide. That's what I love about drum corps.

First, I'm very old school. Heck, just a few years ago I was still having problems accepting the pit! I've been reading about the Cadet's narration all season and I was almost dreading the time when I would see them live this year. Well tonight was the night and the Cadets put on a show that absolutely blew my mind. The debate is over as far as I'm concerned. Well done Cadets! I'm one new fan that will be cheering you on to the championships!

Edited by Strutters '72

If The Cadets win, I say great for those kids! The judges appear to be recognizing elements in the corps' show that gives a reasonable basis for awarding more points to The Cadets. That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

For example - never really like Cavaliers music - but I can always enjoy the corps for the great visuals and guard. Plus - still can admire the *quality* of the musical performance even if you don't like the actual notes.

Ah, but the BIG difference is that Cavies could not perform their show without the music. It is the Cadets narration that distracts from the music and drill that is most bothersome. The show could be perforomed without the narration.

And it is certainly not an innovation, its been done by bands before. I don't see it as a new direction for drum corps, I see it as another step towards turning drum corps into marching band.

Do I think people will boo if they win, unfortunately, yes. But I think more people will give them polite applause. I don't see a roar of approval coming from the crowd if they win.

Look past the narration. Cadets will win with a great core group of kids.