Booing and the Cadets

I was in the fourth row right on the 50 and I didn't see a need to paint anything except some rusted metal seats. The guy next to me used his cell phone to call Ace Hardware for white paint, but they only had enough for a door. Hop iced his own corps. Lines, new paint, white, pink or sky blue wouldn't have helped against the likes of BD. No amazing trumpets this evening.

That may be true, but not relevant. The OP's point was that booing the director and his show design is no different than booing the performers, and that the performers can't tell the difference. The OP is wrong.

Its my point that its still not classy. If there is one thing I learned over the years of marching at BK, there is a considerable lack of class in the activity. That includes many corps, many directors, many staff members, and many "fans" that post on this board. If anything, I learned marching that the most important value that a corps has is their class. For example, I will always admire SCV for how they ran their corps in '05 and they will always have me as a fan. I think we, as fans, do not recognize the importance of class in the activity. Maybe there is a reason that many housing sites are no longer available for DCI - I know this to be a fact.

That may be true, but not relevant. The OP's point was that booing the director and his show design is no different than booing the performers, and that the performers can't tell the difference. The OP is wrong.

No, that wasn't my point at all, go back and reread.

To sum up:

What happed tonight was disgracful and embarassing. Regardless f who you were booing, there is no place for that in this activity, period.

And I never said the performers can't tell the difference, and if i did, then I am sorry, let me make my point. Booing Hoppy IS the same as booing his kids, especially when they are out on the field. While I am sure that most of them are intelligent, well-read kids (being as that I am 20 years older than most of them, I will call them kids, because to me they are!), saying that this won't affect them in some way shape or form is #########. I saw the kids after the show, I talked wth a few of the staff members, the kids were shaken up in the tunnel.

Now, argue with me that this didn't affect them. becuase regardless whether you or anyone else thinks that it shouldn't have.. the fact of the matter is, it did.

Additionally, MnM is right. For an activity that is based in education, what type of education are we giving the kids? It's ok to act like a complete moron at the expense of someone else?

Guys, you can hate Hoppy, that's cool. He's an adult, he knows what he is getting himself into, and he lists his email address for everyone to see. hate him, that's cool. But these kids are there to perform for YOU. Give them the respect they deserve.

s

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

I was there. There was SOME booing. There was MORE cheering. There was definitely booing directed specifically at Hoppy, after the scores were announced and he was arguing with someone on the field.

What I did hear a lot of -- by hundreds if not thousands of people -- was spontaneous groaning and/or laughter at various points of the show, brought on by something particulary lame in the script. "Athletes of God", "When I play my trumpet AMAZING things happen" and emo guy particularly elicited this reaction. There also was quite a bit of cheering following the "now we're going to do something without voice" line.

IMHO, the Cadets brought THOSE reactions upon themselves. It was not people being snarky or rude. It was just genuine, spontaneous reaction to something they experienced.

And also, IMHO, it is a real shame that the Cadets' staff has done this to the kids. They have a kick ### corps this year. After their performance, I told my friends that I think they are going to win on Saturday. But the narration just sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. It's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

I don't know about the theaters that everyone else was at, but at my theater, there were serious signs of disrespect. Before the intermission, when DCI shows 10 second or so clips of all of the corps that perform after the break, as soon as the Cadets came up, there was a chorus of boos from the back of the auditorium. This was before the Hopkins field lines controversy, and there was no picture or Hopkins reference on the screen at the time of the boos. These people booed the Cadets, not Hopkins, not YEA!, they booed the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps.

Was it like this everywhere, or is Rochester, NY particularly disrespectful?

Seems like it was like that everywhere.

And from what I've observed the last couple years, booing Hoppy/The Cadets is becoming as much a part of the show as Blueing for Bluecoats or doing the Vanguard yell.

Booing Hoppy IS the same as booing his kids,

No. It's not. And any performer with enough talent and experience to even come close to making the Cadets is already going to understand that.

And they're not kids. They are almost all college-age young adults with plenty of performance experience, including but not limited to rejection.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

IMHO, the Cadets brought THOSE reactions upon themselves. It was not people being snarky or rude. It was just genuine, spontaneous reaction to something they experienced.

And also, IMHO, it is a real shame that the Cadets' staff has done this to the kids. They have a kick ### corps this year. After their performance, I told my friends that I think they are going to win on Saturday. But the narration just sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. It's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

At one point in the broadcast, they talked about how George said in an interview for the ESPN broadcast that he was upset that he and the corps got booed last year.

So, um, WHY SET YOURSELF AND YOUR CORPS UP FOR MORE OF THE SAME??? :laugh:

I am rather appalled at recent events. I was taught both by my band director and my corps director that you never boo other performers. You give them the same respect that you would want them to show. It's about RESPECT and it's about CLASS. This applied to the members, the staff, the parents, and the fans.

I think a lot of people are missing out on the fact that there is a really good show there. I think as time goes by people will realize that. I seem to remember how nearly everyone hated 93 Star, but now people can't get enough of that show.

Edited by SpookyKid

Anybody who has marched knows that these last few days are very emotional. So yeah, I would think the kids were effected by the booing. Booing the director is just booing the corps. A football coach makes a bad call, who gets boo'd? Everybody! And yes that one moment can change the game dramatically.

New DCI Rule proposal:

Only the following items can be uttered by anyone viewing a drum corps activity:

Bluuuu

Vanguard

SUTA

An occasional baby cry (only from when the baby is tossed, err hurled, onto the field because of something amazing, and not the crying because they pooped themselves)

Do you have any paint?

Did you bring any more babies to throw?

Splooie

and finally...

CHEERING