Booing and the Cadets

Just do drum corps and shut up. That's what the crowd said,

I was in the stands tonite. You are exactly right. There is a revolution brewing. And it is not directed at the kids, it is directed at the staff. There may be a riot in the stands if Cadets win on sat. night

To the people that booed last night: You're making me buy a Cadets shirt in support. I'm giving money to YEA! BECAUSE OF YOU!

I think that's a backfire.

well if you go out and do that everytime someone boos teh cadets hopkins will make us boo everyshow for teh moolah :beer:

Given the controversial nature of the Cadets' shows the last couple of years. One would think that the kids should expect some negativity from people given that they are pushing the limits of the fans comfortability with their show concepts. Tonight was just a culmination of the fan's exasperation with the attitude of George Hopkins, and the fans pleas for him to "tone it down".

I personally feel the cadets have an insanely talented corps, however no matter how talented, the incessant honey coated gag-inducing disneyesque "everyone is a winner" message they're trying to ram down our throat is not going to make me listen, and quite possibly it will cause me to have an adverse reaction to the littlest faux pas done by the corps. If BD would have done the same as the Cadets did with regards to the hash marks, I doubt much would have be said.

People are pretty much fed up with being uncomfortable with listening to the Cadets. I believe they should just shut up and play.

I don't know about the theaters that everyone else was at, but at my theater, there were serious signs of disrespect. Before the intermission, when DCI shows 10 second or so clips of all of the corps that perform after the break, as soon as the Cadets came up, there was a chorus of boos from the back of the auditorium. This was before the Hopkins field lines controversy, and there was no picture or Hopkins reference on the screen at the time of the boos. These people booed the Cadets, not Hopkins, not YEA!, they booed the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps.

Was it like this everywhere, or is Rochester, NY particularly disrespectful?

In my theater (in Tulsa, OK), when they had those ten second clips of each corps, everyone was clapping each time they announced one...but when they announced The Cadets...there was silence. NOONE clapped. That's saying something. After we all "heard" the silence, everyone started cracking up about it. The fans (at least in that theater) are fed up with this show. Too much cheesy narration.

That being said, I would NEVER boo a corps, but I understand why they got booed. This is a sport, no? How many other sports have you heard folks boo? Like, ALL of them, pretty much. The "kids" are tough. They can take it. I thought it was ridiculous how Hopkins after the show was so upset about the audience's reactions when it is HIS FAULT that this happened (co-designer of the show, and the hash mark thing...). Maybe he'll finally start listening to us fans...(yeah, right...)

I boo'ed. I'll say it. I am fortunate I didn't have to spend thousands of dollars to come to this drum corps show, and be made uncomfortable by the the incessant emo monologue.

Edited by VKCanosUSMCContra

Gee, I thought spelling out "THUMBS DOWN EMOTICON" would erase all doubt that I'm ripping on some of the Sanctimonious Sallies here. Oh well. I approve of your decision to express yourself, and I'm not really much of a Christian, for the record.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

Gee, I thought spelling out "THUMBS DOWN EMOTICON" would erase all doubt that I'm ripping on some of the Sanctimonious Sallies here. Oh well. I approve of your decision to express yourself, and I'm not really much of a Christian, for the record.

If you were being sarcastic, it was hard to understand the intended sarcasm sorry.