Booing and the Cadets

I'm pretty sure it does. Unless its written elsewhere.

Where is it written that you have that right?

When I buy a ticket to a movie, do I have the right to enter the theater and belch loudly? Perhaps. But just because you have a right doesn't mean it's appropriate to exercise it.

My problem with this entire episode is that there is a man who is hiding behind a large group of kids/adults making them do things for him and his visions; and then ducking behind them when shots are winged back at him.

George Hopkins.

He has used this incredibly talented corps to try to force unwanted change on the entire activity; and then castigated those who react as being mean to the performers...knowing all the time that he is using those performers as a shield from criticism of his actions and his visions. I know most of these members know they are performing controversial works...but when George gets booed (which he probably deserves himself) it gets deflected onto the kids...because they are always close by.

Don't think it does not happen....I have seen this too many times just in the marching activity alone...and IMO it is nothing short of cowardly.

Therefore there is one more person who I would add to the list of those who ought to be embarassed and ashamed; and that is the director of the corps himself...for knowingly becoming a lightning rod for such venom that it gets soaked up by the young adults he is in charge of. <**> <**> <**>

Why do drum corps Fans Hate Cadets? Its funny because I did until I marched there. I was at Glassmen for 3 seasons 98,99,00 and I hated Cadets and wanted to go to Blue Devils to age out, but I could not move all the way out there in January, Cavaliers were full, SCV was full and I did not want to go back to Glassmen so I tried out for one Baritone spot at Cadets in March with 4 other people gunning for it and got it. Up until that moment I hated them, but I don't even remember why now because after marching there I realized that this is the drum corps where you really figure the activity out and I wished I could have marched all four years there. I love the Cadets and when your up close in the organization you realize the class and respect towards the activity.

So WHY DOES EVERY ONE HATE THEM I'M JUST CURIOUS?

Where is it written that you have that right?

When I buy a ticket to a movie, do I have the right to enter the theater and belch loudly? Perhaps. But just because you have a right doesn't mean it's appropriate to exercise it.

You weren't stating weather or not it was appropriate to exercise a boo or 2. But you do have the "right" By being in a movie theatre you are expected to adhere to a conduct that respects the people around you, or you may be asked to leave. I dont believe DCI has much of a system set up for dealing with crowd control.

Edited by PhantomMullet

Buying a ticket does not give you any rights to boo.

Is it prohibited on the ticket or in the policies of the venue? Unless prohibited, you would most definitely have the right to try it.

I've paid a lot more money to see some pop concerts, classical concerts, Broadway musicals, and the like...many of which I absolutley hated for one reason or another. I guess I had the right to stand up and boo at the conclusion of the performance? Yeah, just like they would have the right to remove me from the venue if I had done so...

Of course. When is the last time somebody was removed from a DCI event for booing? When was the first time it happened?

Or isn't it assumed that the purchaser of the ticket will respect the performers and other ticket holders?

I don't think that is assumed at all. I've been to plenty of events, even involving symphonies/orchestras where the audience happily chatted away during the entire event. Of particular note would be the Chastain Music Park, or whatever it is called, here in Atlanta. Artists have been known to walk off the stage because of the crowd choosing to talk amongst themselves. It happens almost every single year and people pay a lot of money for a summer full of tickets to this stuff. Artists still keep coming there, though, and people still keep going. I wonder how that can be explained...

Edited by Tekneek

I am a INSANE Cadets Fan and I think everyone hates them because of the amplification and speaking... I mean come on. Stop boo-ing and start not saying anything at all if you hate them. HAVE SOME ####### RESPECT!

It's the same reason people hate the Yankees.

this has turned into easily the single most mean-spirited thread i've ever witnessed on drum corps planet.

all because of some half-truths about hash marks and a man who no one really knows, but everyone really hates.

this place is like the o'reilly factor of drum corps.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find even a handful of fans who hate The Cadets.

You will however be able to find quite a few who don't like their director or his taste in show design.

Yes, there is a difference.