Booing and the Cadets

towards the front where I was sitting... that night, more of the people that were booing made it perfectly clear that it was directed towards Hopkins as they were screaming out his name.

i do feel bad for the kids that they had to endure what they did because of someone else's mistakes.. the director.. the design team.. it wasn't their fault..

but all-in-all, those guys have talent.. and that was clearly shown. however, i do strongly believe that the overkill of narration, on due part of the design team.. was what cost them their win at finals

it's a bit sad for the crowd's reactions... but at this point i hope they pick up their things and work harder next year, learn from their mistakes, and come back with a show they can really win with.

congrats to everyone. everyone did an awesome job and it was the best birthday i've had for a very long time.

Maybe some posters are being a little too light on Hopkins hash mark hisseefit, who knows. It's a sidebar to the real story....

The Cadets Physically Can't Talk More Next Season!!

Don't you mean in your opinion, they" shouldn't talk more " next season instead of they " physically can't talk more " ? I think the Cadets Corps members are fit enough to talk for 13 minutes flat without missing a ( drum ) beat.

Oh get over yourself. I can promise you that the vast majority of people were booing George Hopkins, and rightfully so! For someone to pull their entire corps off the field after they have already been announced and were in starting positions, just because you didn't like how the field was painted was akin to a child throwing a temper tantrum. And of course, DCI gave in to their favorite son we all love to hate. In case you forgot, there was a LIVE broadcast that was held up because of Hoppy's little "stunt". And the Blue Devils were forced to wait while at the gate because The Cadets failed to start on time. They were penalized...kudos DCI for that. Someone needs to take GH down a few pegs, and I'm glad someone finally had the guts to do it. Every other one of the 22 corps that were there marched on that field without incident. Did you see The Cavaliers pulling their corps off the field cause they didn't have hashes? No. I did however see George out on the field whining to the head judge about the penalty that was charged them. Poor taste George. I was disgusted by your obvious power-trip. You need to realize that this activity does not revolve around you, and when you throw a sophomoric tantrum over something trivial, YOU WILL GET BOOED! Kudos to every true fan in the Rose Bowl that had the guts to stand up to the hop!

HEY...don't hassle the HOP!!!!

Oh get over yourself. I can promise you that the vast majority of people were booing George Hopkins, and rightfully so! For someone to pull their entire corps off the field after they have already been announced and were in starting positions, just because you didn't like how the field was painted was akin to a child throwing a temper tantrum. And of course, DCI gave in to their favorite son we all love to hate. In case you forgot, there was a LIVE broadcast that was held up because of Hoppy's little "stunt". And the Blue Devils were forced to wait while at the gate because The Cadets failed to start on time. They were penalized...kudos DCI for that. Someone needs to take GH down a few pegs, and I'm glad someone finally had the guts to do it. Every other one of the 22 corps that were there marched on that field without incident. Did you see The Cavaliers pulling their corps off the field cause they didn't have hashes? No. I did however see George out on the field whining to the head judge about the penalty that was charged them. Poor taste George. I was disgusted by your obvious power-trip. You need to realize that this activity does not revolve around you, and when you throw a sophomoric tantrum over something trivial, YOU WILL GET BOOED! Kudos to every true fan in the Rose Bowl that had the guts to stand up to the hop!

Classic. If you didn't boo Hop/Cadets, you are not a true fan. You heard it here, folks.

This from a news article on YEA!.org

"The Cadets knew Friday morning there was no looking back. Many admit they were shaken by those sitting in the audience who heckled and booed when the corps exited the field so the hashmarks could be re-lined by DCI.

“You do get upset when something like that happens,” said Joe McCarthy, a trumpet player from Westminster, Mass. “We work so hard for so long on something and it gets shoved back in your face.”

Rachel Nelson, a member of the colorguard from Detroit, Mich., found the crowd’s chants hurtful, especially given the fact that the Cadets, and every other drum corps in the show, are there to entertain the very people voicing their displeasure."

So much for "We're booing Hoppy, not the members."

Here's what I don't get. Since when are hash-marks a safety issue? Hash-marks were there in 1984 when 6 Cadets went down in Whitewater. Were those hash-marks too high? Other corps members fell because there were no hash-marks? I guess I was lucky to survive the 70's with only a line on the 50 and each 25, or those ghastly Canadian fields with their TWO 50's, a Centre Line, and totally different hash-marks. Or a stadium marked for college and NFL with TWO SETS of hash-marks! I shudder at the thought.

Garry,

You have GOT to be kidding in trying to compare the high velocity drills of today to the 70's.

Trivial? Hash marks?

Perhaps the Cadets use hash marks moreso than their competitors? They do in fact move more than most, if not all of the other corps on the field.

Perhaps the drill writer wrote their drill so that hash marks are quite important to their exectution?

So what if the other 22 corps marched without incident? This was one of the final three shows of the year for the Cadets, and if George saw that the hashes were not visable enough, he had the right to ask for them to be re-painted. He didn't care, nor would he have probably known, if the other previous corps had a problem with the hash marks or not, as he was there for the Cadets only.

At this stage of the game, small minute details can cost points. If George thought that the invisable hash marks were a problem, then he did what was right in removing his corps until the problem was fixed. It was DCI's obligation to have the field in acceptable condition for all corps. Again...SMALL DETAILS cost points, and at their last meeting, Cadets topped BD by only .025...the slimmest of margins. A small detail or error could cost any corps a championship when you are that close.

So much for "We're booing Hoppy, not the members."

Mike, did you notice I never got an answer on the other thread.

Question went something like: If 120+ people are on the field and you're in the stands booing. How can they and the crowd know which person you are booing......

Edited by JimF-3rdBari