Booing and the Cadets

This is true. Just as it is the show coordinators responsibility to inform the audience on what is happening during an evenings show. What if the Boston Pops left the stage in the middle of a performance and did not say a word......do you think this would confuse/upset the audience? DCI has a BIG problem with communication. It is a constant problem with them........ <**> <**>

I can't say I agree there. I can usually find everything I need to know on the website. But again, regardless of how you feel about them in this issue, people are still responsible for their own behavior, and I don't think DCI should be their out.

I can't say I agree there. I can usually find everything I need to know on the website. But again, regardless of how you feel about them in this issue, people are still responsible for their own behavior, and I don't think DCI should be their out.

I guess we don't agree.......

When are the 2008 DCI Championship Tickets going on sale ? I was at Quarters, semis and finals in Pasadena and did not hear one mention of tickets. I have bought the super 3 tickets for the last several years. Why wouldn't DCI want like to keep repeat customers (At the very least) informed about these things?

Phone call to DCI......

Me: When are the tickets for the Allentown Regional going on sale?

DCI Response: I don't know......

How about them saying, A date has not been determined. Keep checking the dci.org webpage for updates....

DCI is by no means perfect.........they have got a lot to learn..........

No one else? Yes, a good idea on the announcing, but poor communication or not, people are still responsible for their behavior.

The heck, you say? People responsible for their own behavior?? You are so 1950's. No no no. If little Johnny does poorly on a test, it's because he as ADHD and needs to take an untimed test. If little Lisa is having troubles with the rules in school it's because the teachers and administrators are out to get her. Good modern helicopter parents go to the school to angrily lodge complaints and demand satisfaction. And, some day, when little Tommy doesn't get that job offer, maybe mom can drive over to the company and chew out the CEO.

The heck, you say? People responsible for their own behavior?? You are so 1950's. No no no. If little Johnny does poorly on a test, it's because he as ADHD and needs to take an untimed test. If little Lisa is having troubles with the rules in school it's because the teachers and administrators are out to get her. Good modern helicopter parents go to the school to angrily lodge complaints and demand satisfaction. And, some day, when little Tommy doesn't get that job offer, maybe mom can drive over to the company and chew out the CEO.

These parents would be the same people booing in the stands.

I had a long drive home to think about what I wanted to say. It was much worse while I sat in the parking lot of the Rose Bowl, fuming over what I had just seen and heard. And now, I’m just sad; for the kids, for the activity, and for the morons in the stands.

I did not attend this year but let me say this ( and excuse me for not reading through 77 pages of this topic )

I was there when the Scouts and Cavies were booed in 1971 for their break from military style. I even bought the tee shirt that had the white rabbit standing on a tombstone holding the clock with the caption " it's later than you think, drum corps died in 71. ( I actually loved the show but I thought the tee shirt was clever )

I was there when the Cavies were booed in 75 ? for calling Muchachoes on the over age members,

I was there when people booed Bridgemen for their new style.

I was there when Star was booed for presenting a show so far above what the average fan in the stands could understand.

And now we have the Cadets. No, not the Holy Name Cadets. No, Not the Garfield Cadets, no, not the Cadets of Bergan County. Ir's the George Hopkins Cadets.

I was a member of several corps and later went on to instruct and judge and I'm a band director.

While "I" would never boo any corps, I support a fans right to express their feelings. This is not a junior high event where we support the kids no matter what, this is an activity that is performed outside in a football stadium, not a concert hall.

The young ADULTS who marched with the Cadets, did so of their own choice. They PAID to further the ego of their director. Mr. Hopkins is a wonderful businessman who had made a pretty good life for himself through drum corps.

Mr Hopkins has continued to try and change drum corps ( sometimes for the better, sometimes not ). His arrogance and ego is directly supported by the young ADULTS who pay his way. Mr Hopkins and his actions has caused a line to be drawn in the sand, either you are for him, or against him.............sorta like George Bush.

When someones ego becomes a problem so large that this many people in a stadium boo him and HIS corps, we must consider the possibility that the problem just might not be with the people in the stands.

Had the crowd left their seats and all went for a hot dog, that would be a direct slap in the face to the "kids" on the field, yet the people who did boo Mr Hopkins, stayed and supported the "kids"

" I believe you should take a much closer look at the cause, not the effect"

And be careful about who in the stands you call a moron, many of them are real drum corps people who still wear their corps colors and don't take kindly to being called names.

And be careful about who in the stands you call a moron, many of them are real drum corps people who still wear their corps colors and don't take kindly to being called names.

Well, then maybe those people should just get a tougher skin. I mean, when I call them on their booing, I am only looking at the cause of the booing, and not the effect.

This whole yardlines excuse, to me, is making a mountain out of a molehill. Most people can march the show blindfolded at this point in the season.

No, they can't, esp as they were adding pages of drill the very last week of the season.

I thought I was pretty clear when I mentioned I booed when Hopkins was laying into Acheson (visible to the crowd), AFTER the Cadets quarterfinals score was announced, AFTER the Cadets had left the stadium.

Is that ok with you?

No, because anonymous booing is a totally cowardly act that shows the true mettle of a person's makeup.