The Cadets at Quarterfinals

part of the issue I have is that the delay also hurt BD.

They showed up at the gate on time and ended up having to wait to go on.

They were delayed just as much as Cadets.

You have a point. I thought BD was pretty incredible tonight. They do not seem to have been affected...not nearly as much as Cadets were. I do think Cadets will pull thru and kill the next two nights. They work so hard already, did they need another reason? Maybe its genius motivation.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta wonder about the fans without an Internet connection. They will show up for Semifinals and find a different performance order and scores than the ones they wrote down tonight.

Oh, they'll find out.

They relined the field duning the 60 minute break, but not the hash marks I am told. Why? The DCI guy in charge of the field blew this one I would have to conclude.

However bad the hash makrs looked from the seats, I know they looked much better from the field.

If you do something that has no precedent, you take your chances. Reversing the penalty set a new precedent. Timing rules are not nearly as absolute as they were yesterday.

Uhhhm, not the first time DCI has reversed a Quarterfinals Penalty, only the last time changed who won quarterfinals

How is DCI going to explain this though? It changes the order for Semi-finals quite a bit.

I say make The Cadets still perform before PR and The Cavaliers.

Edited by i_play_percussion

No kidding! All of those out-of-towners in hotels tonight came home from Quarters and will show up tomorrow afternoon thinking WTF?!

And they're sleeping right now while the rest of us are hanging out online on a website forum past midnight: suckers!! :P

I wonder if the presumption that George has exercised undue influence upon DCI will result in even more backlash for the corps now. They might just get booed for the rest of the weekend now. Too much of this played out in full view of the fans to just be swept under the rug. Given the accounts of his antics on the field, public opinion may be harsh on this one.

I know this may sound weird, but i was talking to my friend on the phone about it and he said, you know what... Compare Hopkins to George Bush. Now Bush has made some crazy decisions (like going to war in Iraq) cuz he thought we were in danger. At first it was a good idea, now its a different story. We have the whole world hating Americans for the "so called Weapons of mass destruction", and who do we have to blame but Bush. Thankfully we have elections and laws and we can change leadership to remedy mishaps and blunders that the Bush administration has left us. Now its time for Cadets to do the same... Hopkins has made some pretty rash decisions and his corps has been affected by it for almost three years now (as far as contraversy). The drum corps community will continue to view the organization (mostly Hopkins) how the rest of the world views Bush. Unfortunately for them, they can't impeach the director.

No offense, but GH is no George Bush. Bush can nuke the world, Hopkins makes us lose sleep. Big difference...

If you think the crow reaction was bad tonight...it'll be 10x worse tomorrow after everyone finds out what happened. Y'all that are going to be watching on webcast will findout how unfortunate the crowd will be...I just hope that many of them will show some class

Here's my view.

Hop made the right decision.

I don't like how he went about it.

It was made with safety in mind and also that The Cadets rely heavily on hashes for cleanliness. Yes, I think a lot of it had to with both of those reasons.

The penalty should be assesed.

DCI should have known better, which almost gets me to agree with taking the penalty away.

Booing tells a lot about a person.

My guess is Hop threw the tantrum more about DCI dropping the ball, which caused the delay, than the penalty. I know many will disagree with this, but knowing him that's my guess.

Really, the penalty wouldn't matter either way. What matters is that delay that threw off the feng-shui. When something like that happens at a show, it's very easy for the mind to wander like crazy. Brass, 5th? I agree, but I'm positive it was a bad show for them. I haven't heard that many stick outs since June and that comes from the somewhat frazzeled minds of some of the members. The members are mature enough, but when you have 135 people, they all react a different way. The delay had much more effect on the score than the penalty. That said, looking forward to an anticipated bounce back tomorrow.

Without the penalty I'm not suprised that BD won pretty handily. I am suprised how close Cadets and Cavies were.

At the level The Cadets are at, the hashes are used heavily for guides. If you think they should perform just as well with out them, go get some more marching experience.

You are right about the way he went about it. It was REALLY awkward. I totally agree with his decision, only next time I hope it's not so public so we have no more of these threads about it. I felt like I was walking on eggshells in the stands, but I stood up PROUDLY for The Cadets and will it ALWAYS!!

part of the issue I have is that the delay also hurt BD.

They showed up at the gate on time and ended up having to wait to go on.

They were delayed just as much as Cadets.

Yes, but they didn't have to go thru the confusion of setting up and then have to leave the field. That had to play with their heads, at least a little bit

Uhhhm, not the first time DCI has reversed a Quarterfinals Penalty, only the last time changed who won quarterfinals
The thing that is without precedent is a director pulling his corps off of the field. One can not make such a decison and expect a certain outcome.