Hopblog thoughts on "Hash-gate"

No amount of explanation can change the fact that he handled the situation poorly. I'm not saying he didn't have the right, just that He was very unprofessional in the way he went about it. I still want pictures of the mess if anyone took any!
But he knows that and he admitted it. You should really be able to accept that and move on.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I buy "safety"? No. But that's the rule. It was intended to be a weather-related option. After some close lightning strikes, a rule was added that a corps director can remove his corps for "safety" reasons. This is why that word is being used. For continuity of shows, this needs to be revisited by the BoD, but the guy bent a rule in a way he needed to for his group. Kudos for it, but I think the unintended consequences were more significant than expected.
I do. Keep in mind, back in 84 or 85, the Cadets had a pileup at a regional, and one of the members broke a leg.

Besides, how would the delay help the corps? They're like racehorses chomping at the bit--the delay was more likely to hurt them than help them.

Ok, that made me laugh! I had forgotten about Phantom's Director doing that in 1992.

I’m happy I have the “live” PBS broadcast. Need to pull that out and watch again.

Thanks!

Totally forgot about that :)

THat was a horrible show, not that ours was much better :rolleyes:

Well, unlike David St. Angel, he didn't give anyone the middle finger.
He also probably did not scream down a volunteer from another corps who had nothing to do with anything that had gone wrong for him that night.

I do. Keep in mind, back in 84 or 85, the Cadets had a pileup at a regional, and one of the members broke a leg.

Besides, how would the delay help the corps? They're like racehorses chomping at the bit--the delay was more likely to hurt them than help them.

Yeah, this is another thing I don't get about this entire ridiculous argument. What possible advantage could be gained by delaying the show for no reason?

I think it's interesting that on one side there's a claim that the hashmarks aren't a safety issue and that by that point in the season they shouldn't even need them -- I mean, after all, the Cavies didn't need them, right???....

.... but then there is also the claim that the Cadets got an unfair advantage by having the lines repainted for them. So which is it? Are the hashmarks needed or not? How could it be an advantage if we're also saying that you don't need them anyway?

Or could we all just settle on the fact that the rules agreed to in advance weren't followed. DCI admits this and have apologized. The other corps directors have sent their words of support for what was done. And Mr. Hopkins himself has admitted that in the heat of the moment, he went too far in some actions.

What's to argue about anymore??

Edited by Liam

100 percent correct.

Name me one person involved with drum corps who hasn't made a mistake, or made a wrong decision, big or small, public or private, at one time or another.

Still waiting......

That's right. NO ONE is perfect. God knows I've made my share of mistakes....some more public than others.

Did George act "perfectly" that night? No, probably not.

But did he make the right call for his corps that night? Yes, he did. This I believe. :)

Fran

I'd make a more detailed response, Fran, but I'm late for my walk across Lake Mead. :P

I'm glad this excerpt from the HopBlog was posted. Clears a few things up. If we do, in fact, learn from our mistakes, then everyone can approach this in the proper way if it happens again, and that would include directors and DCI...and DCP posters, like me.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I'm not weighing in on George or his contention that not having hash marks was a safety issue. I do know that 23 DCA corps marched DCA prelims last year with no hash marks, only one line on the field (the 50), in the middle of hurricane Ernesto's storm surge, and it wasn't considered a safety issue.

Talk about differing perceptions of what is a safety issue...