What do the Scouts need to do to become more competetive?

Guard used to be so different in the 60s and 70s. Not better or worse...just different.

That would be an interesting discussion topic, the size of guards through the years.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get what happened to Madison. At one time them and the Blue Devils were the two corps with the most talent hands down. Madison just picked less technical but more GE shows. I mean if you were a prodigy horns player, you tried out for either Madison or BD probably all the way up until 99. Then something happened. What happened? All that crazy talent they had did not get replaced. Someone just explain this to me. I had a friend in 98 that tried out for Madison soprano line he was a music major in his 3rd year and was really really good. He got cut on the first weekend. He went to a Cavies camp and made it right away over kids that had gone to other camps. It seems anyone would make it there now. Its really sad.

I feel for you Madison fans. I know its not even close in comparison, but I marched Glassmen 98,99,00. Those by far and away are the best 3 straight years Glassmen has ever put on the field both show wise and competitively and probably will be the best since now they struggle just to make finals. I remember 98 not filling the hornline until JUNE. In 2000 it was filled ready to go by March. You felt that something good was about to happen something big and then all the staff left that helped build it or were asked to leave by the Director and the members followed and its been a downward spiral since. The Staff they have teaching there now especially in Brass is a joke to what we had when I was there. Don't even get me started on the visual program now.

Sorry for the rant

BUT WHAT HAPPENED MADISON?

Edited by thecadet20012001

Are you buying? Because I'll be there.

People pitching the Queen shows, in another thread I had this lineup ...

Queen: A Night at the Opera

1. Death on Two Legs

2. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

3. Seaside Rendezvous

4. The Prophet's Song

5. Love of My Life

6. Bohemian Rhapsody

Would love to see Madison take something like this to the field. Harmonies would kill.

Bohemian Rhapsody and the Madison Scouts...that's a happy place :)

I lost my recording of their '79 show, though, which is not a happy place :(

Bohemian Rhapsody and the Madison Scouts...that's a happy place :)

I lost my recording of their '79 show, though, which is not a happy place :(

Hmm.....after the marvelous 2004 Crown show I'd stay away from Bohemian for a while.

If Scouts keep the work ethic they had this year, when everyone with the corps refused to give up when so many said it was over, they will go far.

I wish someone would go back in earlier season threads when the corps was getting beat up and repost the earlier comments. Really, after that, who thought they would have kept moving up through the ranks to place barely 3.5 points out of finals. When did we last see such dedication, such belief in oneself?

This year was such a total turn-over, there was much to learn and so little time to learn it. Now that the new book has been written, I trust the corps will move forward.

Madison Scouts 2007 truly was the corps that could. Success is not just measured in ultimate placement.

Hmm.....after the marvelous 2004 Crown show I'd stay away from Bohemian for a while.

But Mike...happy place! :(

I agree. That Crown show as pretty awesome...maybe in a few years they could do it.

-=GM=-

What does everyone think needs to happen to put Scouts back in to the top 12?

Go back to being the Madison Scouts, instead of being the Scouts, because what is better for that corps, a 17 year old bass drummer from sun prairie, or a rook-out snare drummer from Texas :blink:

Go with what works, even if your the only one doing it ^OO^

Go back to being the Madison Scouts, instead of being the Scouts, because what is better for that corps, a 17 year old bass drummer from sun prairie, or a rook-out snare drummer from Texas :blink:

Go with what works, even if your the only one doing it ^OO^

HOLY ####, IT'S JOHN MAYER!