Best Drum Corps Show Moment of all Time?

1989 Regiment. Goin' Home. Already written in my will to be played at the funeral service for me when I get to meet the good Lord. At 34, I hope it's not for a long, long time!

Wife sort of understands, but she is a saint so it will be done. Plus she hates narration in shows like I do so it sure won't be one of those crappy shows sending me off to the afterlife thank God

Wow dude, that's really harsh.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't possibly pick a single greatest, but these are some of my favorites.

- 93 Phantom: WEDGE

- 96 Phantom: Closing company front

- 91 Star: Rotating mello circles while playing crazy runs

- 95 Madison: pretty much the whole closer

- 98 SCV: Grohg, opening through the big hit

- 02 Cavies: left to right rotating block with moving lines thingy

These will probably all change in a month or so

I will never forget that night. Man, the crowd went ballistic. Couldn't hear myself playing it was so loud. You see, the guard did not do the Bottle Dance all year. We had this ending from Tchaikovsky's 4th we did all year long. And then GR had an idea to pull off the Bottle Dance at finals. We practiced secretly. Horns in our rooms playing into pillows. The guard in the hotel meeting room practicing. We did a single rehearsal of it and then pulled it out at finals. Deafening screams from the Birmingham crowd which was HUGE. That moment made my 3rd place finish a bit easier to take. B)

Being part of the crowd it looked fantastic from where I was, but I did'nt hear it until I got the Vinyl some weeks later. :P

For me - -

* The year that Madison fielded 16 Contras who stole the show from the rest of the corps

* The year that 27 changed their ending of the show and added back Danny Boy for finals - - there wasn't a dry eye in the stadium, when they went back field and you could hear the faint music of Danny Boy, oh my god... It was an amazing moment in the stadium

* Madison playing Maleguena any year

* SCV any year they did the bottle dance

* Any year 27 did a guard feature; the guard was awesome

* The year that Phantom came out with all black uniforms - totally hot

* Cadets the year the horn line played an outrageous lick on each others horns

* Bridgemen - the year that they went all season with the North winning the war and then went to Alabama and changed the ending for the South to win. The crowd would have lept out of the stands if they could have and the noise, standing ovation - - was the absolute craziest I have ever seen.

* Bridgemen Montreal - - the year that the shot that killed Tony at finals, went off at the same exact time as the timing judge's gun to signal the end of the show..... You can hear and see that one on DVD recordings, the crowd was awestruck.

There are many more.... but these are the ones that come to mind.

I've been a fan since 72. Hands down - Madison 95 - after literally dazing the crowd for the whole show - the rotating company front - the corps could not be heard - the crowd went insane.

I've been a fan since 72. Hands down - Madison 95 - after literally dazing the crowd for the whole show - the rotating company front - the corps could not be heard - the crowd went insane.

I'd agree. The show that seemed to electrify a crowd more than any other was '95 Madison. The fact that this '95 Madison performance did not finish in the top 3 just shows you the disconnect between what an audience of 20-30,000 people think, and what a judging panel of 12 thinks.

The fact that this '95 Madison performance did not finish in the top 3 just shows you the disconnect between what an audience of 20-30,000 people think, and what a judging panel of 12 thinks.

Since I had the pleasure of teaching a high school marching band with some Madison brass and visual staff right after that summer, I know they don't give a crap about what the judges think. In fact, I know that (at least at that time) they would yank the tape out of the cassettes without even listening to judges critique :)

Who cares about scores when people are throwing babies on the field.

Edited by atlvalet