Best Drum Corps Show Moment of all Time?

You do realize that Bacchanale is from the orgy scene in the Temple of Dagon (Ia Ia Phtagn) in Saint-Saens' opera Sampson and Delilah? They have been performing the actual opera for over 140 years and no one has been upset at the content. There's a reason why the final set in both 90 & 91 were the way they were set up.

To relate:

It's 1990. It's Regiment's turn to use the NIU Stadium before DCM and John Brazale is not happy. Bacchanale, which is supposed to the emotional peak of the show, is flat. He gets on the mic and starts to rant.

Brazale - Ok ok ok shut up! (drags a smoke) Thank you. Now...SHUT THE HELL UP! (drags a smoke). What the hell is wrong? You people are just going through the motions here! (drags a smoke) This ending is supposed to be getting the audience off their #### feet and you people are playing it flatter than my #### prom date! (drags a smoke) This part of the show is supposed to be the orgy scene from Sampson and Deliah and you people are playing it like a ####### tea party social! (drags a smoke) (drags a smoke) Now can someone tell me what the hell this piece and drill is supposed to be about? Well? (drags a smoke) Give me an answer.

Every person in the corps is transfixed in complete fear of Brazale (not a surprise that Brazale's main job was with the IRS) and exhaustion. There is absolute silence, except when I pipe up.

"Sex?"

Brazale (throws down smoke and laughs with a laugh that fills the stadium) - THANK YOU! (to Johnny Sanchez) At least one person in this sea of virgins gets it!

YES! YES!

Laughed by butt off at that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that Bacchanale is from the orgy scene in the Temple of Dagon (Ia Ia Phtagn) in Saint-Saens' opera Sampson and Delilah? They have been performing the actual opera for over 140 years and no one has been upset at the content. There's a reason why the final set in both 90 & 91 were the way they were set up.

To relate:

It's 1990. It's Regiment's turn to use the NIU Stadium before DCM and John Brazale is not happy. Bacchanale, which is supposed to the emotional peak of the show, is flat. He gets on the mic and starts to rant.

Brazale - Ok ok ok shut up! (drags a smoke) Thank you. Now...SHUT THE HELL UP! (drags a smoke). What the hell is wrong? You people are just going through the motions here! (drags a smoke) This ending is supposed to be getting the audience off their #### feet and you people are playing it flatter than my #### prom date! (drags a smoke) This part of the show is supposed to be the orgy scene from Sampson and Deliah and you people are playing it like a ####### tea party social! (drags a smoke) (drags a smoke) Now can someone tell me what the hell this piece and drill is supposed to be about? Well? (drags a smoke) Give me an answer.

Every person in the corps is transfixed in complete fear of Brazale (not a surprise that Brazale's main job was with the IRS) and exhaustion. There is absolute silence, except when I pipe up.

"Sex?"

Brazale (throws down smoke and laughs with a laugh that fills the stadium) - THANK YOU! (to Johnny Sanchez) At least one person in this sea of virgins gets it!

bloody brilliant!

I have two answers for best visual moment. I think the most influential would be the Z-pull (Cadets 1983). My favorite, however, is probably the cross-to-cross (Star 1991).

As for the best musical moment, I have no idea. There are way too many to even begin to make a choice.

lucky for me, my first division I show that I saw live was 99 and Madison was there. and at that moment I swore to myself that I would march there someday. Lets see if I keep my promise in a few years. I hope so.

I think the piece to which you're referring is Peterloo Overture, by Sir Malcolm Arnold.

Thanks! that was it.

:lol::doh::doh:

Oh! Who could forget Garfield's "AMEN!" chord in '77?

Or better yet, the lack of the "AMEN" and hearing the crown fill in for us!!

Or maybe the guard in their hot pants.....playing bugles.

Seriously, my fav was Santa Clara's bottle dance...hands down.

Edited by xtripleplayer77

Every time this thread appears, I've got to add...

'84 Freelancers

"With You I'm Born Again"

Just listening to that brings a shiver to the spine and a tear to the eye!

Play ball!!!

Not only that plus the dancing also !! So elegant.

And of course we have to go back to "We've got something you're really gonna love"..."and here it is" !!

Goosebumps everytme !! LOL

And of course, 1988's OTL, that imploding box was mesmerizing !!(Yes, I enjoyed 88 more than 89, but loved 89 also ! )

~G~

1235596298_9740c8b3fc_o.png

That doesn't cross the line just a little bit to you?

Dude, it electrified the crowd that night, it fit perfect, had the effect they desired and that they were supposed to get from that piece of music and they did it , communicated to the audience, without words....what more do you want. It was pure "Scandalous" magic !!

~G~