New Crown Brass Staff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, don't forget that BD finished first in brass with a 19.8 to Crown's 19.2. That is actually only a diffference of 0.3 in the final score, as the brass score is divided by 2. We really had parity in the brass caption this year among the top 7 at the end.

Surprised Tubaman hasn't chimed in on this thread yet. This will definitely get his dander up.

The very simple answer is NO.

Crown has a very talented and dedicated brass staff. Crown had the best ensemble sound out there, regardless of where the scores stack up.

The Crown brass staff is very dedicated to the mantra that they have developed and that is that everyone contributes, all the time.

They are in it for the long haul, so everyone needs to get used to them having a fabulous brass sound for a long time.

Yet they sounded miles better than everyone you mentioned.

Or...they didnt. Perhaps you'd like to back that up instead of just saying it with no support.

Also, don't forget that BD finished first in brass with a 19.8 to Crown's 19.2. That is actually only a diffference of 0.3 in the final score, as the brass score is divided by 2. We really had parity in the brass caption this year among the top 7 at the end.

It's a 0.6 difference. Yes, only .3 counts in the final score, but they were still .6 away. The "value of the tenth" in the judging community is the same regardless of the caption.

Or...they didnt. Perhaps you'd like to back that up instead of just saying it with no support.

For 80% of their brass show ... yes they did sound miles better than everyone else. That is a "TASTE" issue. My taste leans toward Crowns approach to ensemble sound. Full contribution from all voices at all times, with great arranging. How can I support this? I don't have to agree with the judges who bumped their heads all season long. This is why I hate RANK AND RATE!!!! It blowz..........

Crown did have a few moments in their show where they had some intonation issues and some balance issues. No more so than any other corps out there. I will say that they worked those problems out of MOST of the show. They didn't get high numbers in technique for most of the year in comparison to the other top 7 lines. They never got respect in Ensemble (which I will never understand until the day I die).

They're on the right track .... definitely.

Don't change a thing!!!

The Crown brass staff is here to stay, thank heavens. The staff has no control over what scores the judges decide to give to them.

The judges continue to favor the "big boy" corps that have been around for so many years no matter what show they present.

It's a 0.6 difference. Yes, only .3 counts in the final score, but they were still .6 away. The "value of the tenth" in the judging community is the same regardless of the caption.

Wow - a MASSIVE canyon-like deficit of 0.6. 0.6? Are you kidding me?

Screw the #### judges, the fans won this year. Sign the brass staff to a lifetime contract - and do it now.

"The chord" = ballgame

This thread is STUPID and should be wiped from existence.

Were they that great?

Yes! They were incredible.

The best brass staff?

I did not say that they had the best brass staff. I said they may have the best brass staff. With the quality of the program the keep putting out year after year I would say that they should be in the relm of consideration. As for who actually has the best brass staff? Who knows. It could be PR, BD, cavies, Crown, or maybe even someone like Crossmen or an even lower scoring corps. There are many factors that go into it like the talent level given v/s the final product or how well the group marches, or how the book is scored, or how the show well the show is designed. So, there is no way to definitively know who has the best brass staff. I do know that brass titles are not nessecarily an indicator.

Head to Head

They never beat Blue Devils once this season.

They never beat the Cavaliers once this season.

They never beat Bluecoats once this season.

They beat Phantom only one time this season.

They beat Cadets only one time this season.

Fair enough. But I think Crown sounded way better than all of those groups except maybe Bluecoats. Placement is not always an indicator if who is better. Most times it is.....but not every time. Crown's sound was very mature and balanced. They also played really freakin clean. I am guessing that some of the groups that you mentioned may have been cleaner than them, but I dont think very many groups, if any, play with a better sonority. As far as I am concerned, they have the best brass sound in DCI and that is way harder to achieve than playing clean.

Ok...

I like crown. I hope they are the next new corps to win dci. But im not going to declare them the best hornline in dci. Im not sure where so many people get off saying crown sounded better than everyone. We have to remember (however justified this is), that the brass judge is down on the field. That field vs stands thing is a seperate debate, but I'm not going to cry foul. I got to watch a lot of crown rehearsal in Allentown, and i enjoyed it, but i wasnt blown away either...