LIVE from the Pressbox at DCA Prelims

JohnD

We're seeing some painted scrims with pics of James Dean, the "Laugh-In" logo, and other images of '68 while hornline parks in a heart with the guard spinning flags inside.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big heart formation from the hornline as they play The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, which Colts performed in '92 and '93.

And a tribute to Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King to finish the ballad as they were both assassinated in '68.

Great hornline statement to open Spinning Wheel.

Another abrupt musical transition into "Spinning Wheel"- some more good arrangements being played.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Patec Stadium ...

The field is FANTASTIC ... it's modern "grass-tro-turf", and the hash marks are very clearly marked.

It is a soccer stadium, and there are seats on the front and back of the field, and on the #1 side end zone. The stands do not go very high, so this is definitely an "in your face" drum corps stadium!

There is a fantastic big screen scorpsboard at the #2 end zone side of the field, and the camera work by the video crew is very high quality.

In the distance behind the video screen you can see downtown Rochester, which should make for a very nice view at night. And VERY clearly seen is the (what I believe) is the old Kodak headquarters building, a very prominent site.

There are lights at the 4 corners of the field, and if I remember correctly from last year (in between huge raindrops) the field was very well lit.

Fun tradeoff segment between the mellos and the rest of the hornline.

As the corps proper plays Spinning Wheel to the backfield, a small horn ensemble begins playing Bridge Over Troubled Water. Very nice effect.

The pit's giving this piece a good field for not having a battery on the field. Guard is marching with peace symbols made out of hula hoops for this part.

I am assured every drum corps fan following this coverage from California is now out of bed and awake! Sure wish you were here. This is 3 days of drum corps like non other. It's difficult for me to keep tears from my eyes.

Thousands of great folks are here from all over, many wearing corps jackets and other attire from decades ago. Some of the stuff actually still fits! This is truly a family reunion that can only have been built in emotion over many, many years. And boy, French speakers are everywhere - but communication is NEVER a problem.

Absolutely perfect weather predicted for the next several days.

Gotta watch a little Frontier. With my typing skills, an entire corps can go by as I prepare a brief message.

More later.

Fred

Horns and guard finish the portion in the same circle/peace sign that they started off the program with.

Onto the closer- crowd is getting into "Born to be Wild", and we get a guard girl in a skimpy pink bikini as the last visual image of the program.