So what do we want the cadets to be?

With the end of the 2007 season over, I personally feel that the Cadets should have been #1, narration or not. After being away from drum corps for the 3 or 4 weeks since finals, it was fun to sit down and watch all of the shows last night. Am I the only one that feels that the cadet’s show was at a much higher difficulty level AND performance level than the corps before. I also don't mean by a little, I mean a substantial difference. Obviously they did place ahead of the corps before them and I get that. Then they showed the best 5 minutes of the Blue Devils show and I still think that the cadet’s show was even more exciting. Again, my opinion. SO, to the topic:

What do we want the cadets to be? Everybody on here has some sort of opinion on what the cadets are doing now. A majority of you dislike the narration and want the cadets to go back to what they used to be (1983-2000) or so. Though if you take out the narration and just listen and watch the show, I think it was probably the hardest cadet show to date and they looked and sounded like the cadets of the past and even better.

Also, during the years listed above, the cadets were the cadets because of how they pushed the envelope in this activity. Aren't they still accomplishing that? DO we want the cadets to stop pushing the activity and conform to what the other corps are doing? If they were to do that, would they be like the past cadet corps?

It also seems like the judges are not giving the cadets credit for the level of difficulty of their show. I believe the cadets tied overall G.E. on finals, but were scattered from 2-5, mainly placing in the middle of the all performance captions. Are the judges saying that perfection is better than trying to do something that other corps do not attempt and if the cadets want to win, they need to do what everybody else does and not move as fast. I believe that the cadets used to get credit for the level of difficulty of the show. So again, is that like the cadets of the past?

So, what do we (you) want from the cadets?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what do we (you) want from the cadets?

This Cadet alum wants the Cadets to create the most exciting, interesting and challenging show they can, and I want the members to have the greatest summer of their lives. I hope they never stop exploring the edges of the drum corps creative world and that they continue to try new things.

Mike, Cadets 70-72

I want the cadets to be the kick ### corps they were up until 2000, not the namby pamby artsy fartsy narration making corps they are now.

The Cadets can still push the envelope without narration, electronics, and all the things that Hopkins "thinks" are necessary. Look at what they did before amplification and voice came into DCI. They can still be an outstanding, winning corps. I don't see why Hopkins doesn't realize that...

The Cadets can still push the envelope without narration, electronics, and all the things that Hopkins "thinks" are necessary. Look at what they did before amplification and voice came into DCI. They can still be an outstanding, winning corps. I don't see why Hopkins doesn't realize that...

He does realize that they can be what you say...those things you dislike ARE part of DCI, and The Cadets have been utilizing them very well the past three years.

Those things you dislike ARE part of DCI, and The Cadets have been utilizing them very well the past three years.

The majority of DCI fans would disagree with that statement. The Cadets have NOT used narration well. If they had, would there be such an uproar? I think not.

What do we want the cadets to be? Everybody on here has some sort of opinion on what the cadets are doing now. A majority of you dislike the narration and want the cadets to go back to what they used to be (1983-2000) or so. Though if you take out the narration and just listen and watch the show, I think it was probably the hardest cadet show to date and they looked and sounded like the cadets of the past and even better.

Also, during the years listed above, the cadets were the cadets because of how they pushed the envelope in this activity.

Well, that's exactly what I want from them - to push the envelope in this activity - not some other similar activity that their director would like to morph drum corps into.

He does realize that they can be what you say...those things you dislike ARE part of DCI, and The Cadets have been utilizing them very well the past three years.

In your opinion they may have been. Not in mine.

I want the cadets to be the kick ### corps they were up until 2000, not the namby pamby artsy fartsy narration making corps they are now.

Right. You can push the evelope of the activity without pushing yourself into bad taste, which Cadets have done.