Eulogy for Horns in G

I will add to this thread only because of it's historical significance. When I first picked up a French Horn bugle, it had a piston and a slide. When Olds introduced their version with a rotary I was tickled pink. Our instructor, the very meticulous Hy Dreitzer was very insistent on both intonation and power. And all 34 of us at the time delivered. I have never played a bugle that had more than one piston. All I can say about 'g' versus 'Bb' is that when you heard a good horn line like St. Rocco's, Anaheim, the Cavaliers from the sixties when they first played Softly As I Leave You or our beautiful rendition of Make Your Garden Grow and heard the blow back from the back stands (as heard in the 1965 recording of the Cavaliers at the VFW Nationals in Chicago or St. Rita's at the World Open in 1970 you will understand that there was all the power we needed from those bugles but you could also play with dynamics if your instructors and arranger knew what he was doing. Dynamics to me was always the key. I think the Bb instruments give the players more ways to be subtle - sad that we have lost most of the great arrangers who gave us so many ways to play. Of course, you don't have to actually play as long a show anymore, either.

I believe 'Bb' makes it easier for the 'pit' to tune to, also.

Puppet

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, i think G bugles were probably very good for players when they switched back to multi-key. Not only would they naturally improve your breathing to help you fill the horn, but I imagine it would be easier to fix your pitch and play in tune with those around you.

Just my 2 cents.

Yep, drum corps make you a better player :)

If you can do drum corps, you can do anything.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have a list of the DCI corps that will be using G bugles for the 2008 season? I'd love to know.

BOTTLE DANCE in Bb...........

No thanks!!

JP

2007 marked the final time G Bugles were used in DCI World Class competition.

As we gather to celebrate the life of the G horn, let us share our memories of our times in the key of G.

On this momentous occasion, what are your memories in the key of G?

Does anyone have a list of the DCI corps that will be using G bugles for the 2008 season? I'd love to know.

Just walk through the parking lots and listen to the louder but out of tune horn lines. You'll find 'em.

Just walk through the parking lots and listen to the louder but out of tune horn lines. You'll find 'em.

Please... :tongue:

I come here not to bury the G bugle, but to praise it. All is not lost, the Freelancers Alumni hornline will all be playing G bugles. :tongue:

Okay, they may not be new....but then, neither are we. :tongue:

As for my opinion on the whole G vs Bb thing: Its a buGle, not a buBble! If you're going to play trumpets and tubas, just add the woodwinds and become a marching band.

2007 marked the final time G Bugles were used in DCI World Class competition.

As we gather to celebrate the life of the G horn, let us share our memories of our times in the key of G.

On this momentous occasion, what are your memories in the key of G?

being told liking the sound meant that every line was automatically out of tune and i was stuck in the past.

Cool. This thread needs to be closed. DCP is turning into something I really don't want to associate myself with at all.

not all of DCP. Mostly this forum. It's beginning to make the old Current Events Forum look tame

Am I supposed to feel bad for him? He's posted some of the most absurd, inane crap that I've ever read on this site, and I don't feel like I should have to lay back and let him post crap and present it as legitimate, genuine opinion.

and to some, not me, but others, feel the same when you opine.