Madison making their comeback again...

Madison did have several young ladies who acted as the American section at the VFW finals that year. Their photo appeared in Drum Corps World.

Cinderella wasn't it? Or Alice in Wonderland? Theme shows in the early 70's? It was all Madison's fault.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Bill Howard's daughter, Kathy (?) was the Alice.

And, dear Scouts? Just get rid of the uniforms. After that, the music would mattr less.

But yeah, Slaughter and Malaguena would kick azz. They always have.

And, dear Scouts? Just get rid of the uniforms.

I hear ya. Those '07 uniforms..... yikes.

Fran

Actually it was a guard member, playing the part of Carmen. :)

She was lovely. And very much appreciated. :)

Just so everyone is clear, I'm a big supporter of oldtime corps like Madison. Just having fun. Always appreciated my conversations with Bill Howard for Building the Green Machine. I wish him/them/you the best of luck in 2008 -- and happy anniversary!

I don't disagree, and I don't want to hijack a well intended - well meant thread into a "too serious" direction.

It would indeed be so nice to see that old school style Madison hornline just come to the front of the field and wail away and have everyone just be out of their minds. At a field in Michigan someplace, where the stands were literally right over the field and there was no running track so the fans were only 10 or so yards away from the arch of horns, they blasted the opening chords of "Slaughter on Tenth Ave" in 1982:

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... BAHH BAHH BAHH BAH BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... badda badda baaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think I saw skin peel off foreheads there as the fans raised their fists in total appreciation. ^OO^ It was awesome...

BUT... I also gotta say that we gotta appreciate that Madison has been challenged (last year especially...) to do BOTH reinvent themselves AND stay the same "as they used to be" at the same time. Totally impossible. AND, as they search for a new musical direction that has the potential to take them to that "play to the crowd" loud AND marry it with todays complexities of musical requirements... they are hamstrung.

They'd be danged if they did...and will be danged if they don't... bring back the old school classics that worked so well for them in years past. But I get a feeling that they will continue to explore a sound idiom that could become their new "style" AND stay true to the "give the fans what they want" in sound. Last years "Kashmir" was a great concept and took heat from the fans early, but gained respect as they finished the season with many predicting that had they just had two more weeks to do it the way they had envisioned it...

Anyway... not so sure we'll hear Malaguena again anytime soon, unless it's just a hint of it. But I bet you WILL hear more studies into the music styles that can both appease the fan base and return the sleek and cool style to them, as well as put Madison into a new ground breaking direction. They've only scratched the surface of possible rock genre songs that could work for them...

Rock Genre?

Please bring back Bohemian Rhapsody, al la 79!

It won't happen, but if I'm writing a letter to Santa, I may as well ask for what I want. :P

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... BAHH BAHH BAHH BAH BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... badda badda baaaaaaaaaaaaa

:angry: That NEVER gets old!

SCV - Young Person's Guide. How much would the crowd dig that?

Edited by Roark1

So this is a minor rant...

Dear Madison scouts,

For the 2008 season, I'd like to hear Slaughter on 10th Ave, followed by Maleguena, with a closing of the American anthem themes present in 1987.

You want to make a comeback? That's how to do it! :P

For me....no.

I'd rather see them have both popular and competitive success. That would be, IMO, neither.

You can't move ahead by hanging on to the past, so put me in the "no" camp too.

There are a number of things Madison can do to become more competitive, but simply bringing back old tunes isn't one of them. They need to up the numbers of the guard - in members, in writing, and in execution (though I would agree that a more aggressive, muscular style of guard work would be in order, since that was one hallmark of their best years and would help differentiate between themselves and some of the other guards with male contingents). The show designs have to become conceptually tighter (the Carmen show was the closest they've come). And most importantly, their Board has to be looking 3 and 5 years down the road at all times, allowing the staff, the management, and themselves the time to let ideas and teams develop and mature.

They've made some interesting hires this year; let's hope they're smart enough to give them the support they need and the time to redevelop Madison's program into one that can grow its own leaders from within.

Edited by mobrien