Who do you prefer to watch in the lot?

Which section?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one already!

• Hornline
    • Drumline
    • Guard

The Poll should have included PIT and NONE OF THE ABOVE. I go in to watch all of the shows on the field. To me that's the point of all the hard work.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hornline. Chords progressions, tuning exercises, and if we are lucky, excerpts of their show. I absolutely love it. Of course, if I had to choose between watching Phantoms hornline, and watching Vanguards show... I would go in and watch Vanguard's show.

...nothing quite like space chords and F tuning in the lot

Especially if you're one of teh ones cranking it!

I don't remember a lot of people doing the lot thing when I marched...but my memory may be failing.

We DID have some lot viewers at the 03 Glendora show with SoCal Dream....it was a pretty cool feeling to finish conducting the opener, then turn around and see people applauding for us!

That being said....when i go to a show, I don't do the lot....I'm paying a full price ticket, I'm seeing the entire show....the first few corps on get little enough love as it is...

Edited by 84BDsop

Especially if you're one of teh ones cranking it!

I don't remember a lot of people doing the lot thing when I marched...but my memory may be failing.

We DID have some lot viewers at the 03 Glendora show with SoCal Dream....it was a pretty cool feeling to finish conducting the opener, then turn around and see people applauding for us!

That being said....when i go to a show, I don't do the lot....I'm paying a full price ticket, I'm seeing the entire show....the first few corps on get little enough love as it is...

TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH!!!!!

Being right in front of the Cadets horn line in the lot is something that should be experienced by all that love this activity. After they finish their tuning process and let loose as an ensemble, WOW! The sound is mind-bending and almost takes your breath away!!!! :blink:

ok confession Back in 1979 and 1980 I would go to see Spirit of Atlanta horn line warm up in the lot. I had 3 friends who were in the high school band I was in at the time marching with them. One snare player and 2 Contra Bugles. Anyway, If you think the field show was loud the rehearsal arc would rival jumbo jet engines. ABSOLUTLEY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!! People can say this Corps or that Corps but those who were there know. Spirit 1979 and 1980. No Corps produced as much sound before or since.

ok confession Back in 1979 and 1980 I would go to see Spirit of Atlanta horn line warm up in the lot. I had 3 friends who were in the high school band I was in at the time marching with them. One snare player and 2 Contra Bugles. Anyway, If you think the field show was loud the rehearsal arc would rival jumbo jet engines. ABSOLUTLEY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!! People can say this Corps or that Corps but those who were there know. Spirit 1979 and 1980. No Corps produced as much sound before or since.

What he said :blink:

You must not have watched BD's battery warm up do yourself a favor and check em out ! Also not enough people give the Glassmen praise and their percussion section is really great ! I just love that bass drum section those young men were just amazing their execution & musicality were absolutly stellar in " 07 " ! :smile::blink::blink::blink:

No Smitty, I walked by them a few times during the summer on my way to catch a show. I just didn't care what they had to do in the lot. Now when they brought it on the field, then I'm all about it.

Forgive me if I take this a little off course. Basketball warmups: I make it a point every year to attend the high school state championship basketball games not just attend, but arrive early. Especially this year, for unknown reasons, it was emotional for me. A state championship girls pre game -- emotional. "such and such college/university" #1 team in America announcement -- very memorable/emotional for me. Anyway, parents sometimes more than students get all riled up. For the state final games, the season culminates in a great atmosphere. For most players, the state championship game is their last chance to be a star.

Like drum corps, though, players on the teams may not go onto division 1 or professional careers, basketball teams still do drills of which the coordination impresses me. The same is true for drum corps warmup exercises, in general. My favorites in the lot in my years were Star of Indiana's hornline (breathing exercises); BD's tuning exercises, particularly after their slurring, were awesome. I guess there's something to developing a focus necessary for a field show. Oh, I hear past stories of BD's onfield warmup getting standing ovations.

Corps songs/past hits in the lot are great. Not a warmup, I thank the Bluecoats who played/sang? Autumn Leaves in the lot back in the year I aged out. That brought back the memories of the very beginnings of my time following drum corps. My age out year was the 25th anniversary of DCI, so lots of corps performed music that I remembered from various spots in my marching career/time following high school band or drum corps, to name a few, "Night in Tunisia," "God Bless The Child", "Birdland," (very first corps tune I/we performed) "Sunshine," "Crown Imperial"...

btw, I voted hornline warmups. Judging by my mp3 listening habits and how emotional I was at Big Loud and Live, I, too, definitely enjoy the finished product, a whole lot more.

Thank you!

I get what you're saying from the parent POV. But, I still hold true that most people in other activities aren't impressed by the warm ups if it isn't sentimental for one reason or another. Someone mentioned people going to baseball batting practice. Most people I see at games early are either trying to catch a ball, get an autograph, or start drinking sooner. I really don't think too many people are impressed when a clean up hitter making millions hits a 78 mph fastball from a batting practice pitcher over the fence. Do it off an ace pitcher with ball movement, heck yeah! Same with basketball. I've watched a few hundred college basketball warm ups. I don't get excited when the shooting guard hits 10 threes in a row, because he can't do it with a hand in his face in the actual game.

Warm ups to me are just that...warm ups. They don't mean anything and I don't understand why people miss actual corps performances to see someone else warm up.

When it comes to utube clips,,it seems drummers are more loyal about posting lot warm ups.Probably for every 1 hornline video there are 10 drumline lot videos.

That tells me that hornline people are inside the show watching the entire performances and that drummers are in the lot following drumline after drumline.

To each his own I guess.

Screw the lot. Bad drum corps can sound good in the lot. I want to hear it when is counts. I don't need to go hear BD's hornline play space chords and Phantom's hornline play Canon in D. Way to go. You can play whole notes. Standing still. I don't need to go hear SCV's drumline play doublebeat.

The lot is for wannabes, probably-never-will-bes, pretenders and bandos running around with their cell phones and video cameras going "ZOMFG! CAVIES ARE PLAYING 8 ON A HAND!"