I didn't "count" CLUB DCP because it's on the "OT" boards and requires the OK from the Mods to access.

(or it did back when I started reading and posting over there. :lle: )

still does. come over and join the fun!!!

ummmm....

here's a couple examples:

Old Article referring to the Fabulous Crusaders

Here's another

If I were up North with my Drum Corps Library... I'd show you others!

(Don't say you dropped the Fabulous part... that doesn't sound good on the Corps' behave at all.) LOL

see how my memory fails. i didn't remember them called fabulous till after the merger. i remember them as irndequiot crusaders. thanks.

see how my memory fails. i didn't remember them called fabulous till after the merger. i remember them as irndequiot crusaders. thanks.

I do remember the Grey Night Crusaders in the '60s and I'm thinking of a show in Titusville, pa. (like maybe 64, 65, 66,) and Truman Crawford was Brass judge. Memory is kinda fuzzy........

your pretty close. the merger ceated the GREY KNIGHTS CRUSADERS. in 1967 the name was changed to THE FABULOUS CRUSADERS. in 1972 we were the ROCHESTER CRUSADERS.

Hi Don ... found this on the Crusaders website in their History section:

In 1952, the Hilton Fire Department Drum and Bugle Corps officially adopted the name "Crusaders." The guard was third at the American Legion National Contest in New York City and Paul Rood was named "Citizen of the Year" in Hilton. During this time, the corps' uniform was the "Busboy"-look, black pants and dark-green waist-jacket closed by brass buttons, with gold lapels, topped by a round policeman-style hat sporting a cross. Sponsorship of the corps by the Hilton Fire Department continued until 1960, at which time the corps moved their home to Irondequoit, NY, another suburb of Rochester, and became the "FABULOUS CRUSADERS"

1964 was a most memorable year as the corps took first place 11 times in 13 competitions. As the successful season drew to a close, one contest remained, Music in Motion in Syracuse, NY. When the dust settled, Crusaders had defeated the Hawthorne Caballeros, 77.8 to 76.0. Six days after this victory, the mother of all mergers took place. The Rochester Grey Knights and the Irondequoit Crusaders together became the Grey Knights Post Crusaders, the "Super Corps" of 1965.

So ... looks like the Crusaders went from FABULOUS to SUPER in five short years ...

:-)

I think the FAB tag on them lasted for several years in DCN promos after 65 but, the SUPER was dropped ...

Edited by ajlisko

Hi Don ... found this on the Crusaders website in their History section:

In 1952, the Hilton Fire Department Drum and Bugle Corps officially adopted the name "Crusaders." The guard was third at the American Legion National Contest in New York City and Paul Rood was named "Citizen of the Year" in Hilton. During this time, the corps' uniform was the "Busboy"-look, black pants and dark-green waist-jacket closed by brass buttons, with gold lapels, topped by a round policeman-style hat sporting a cross. Sponsorship of the corps by the Hilton Fire Department continued until 1960, at which time the corps moved their home to Irondequoit, NY, another suburb of Rochester, and became the "FABULOUS CRUSADERS"

1964 was a most memorable year as the corps took first place 11 times in 13 competitions. As the successful season drew to a close, one contest remained, Music in Motion in Syracuse, NY. When the dust settled, Crusaders had defeated the Hawthorne Caballeros, 77.8 to 76.0. Six days after this victory, the mother of all mergers took place. The Rochester Grey Knights and the Irondequoit Crusaders together became the Grey Knights Post Crusaders, the "Super Corps" of 1965.

So ... looks like the Crusaders went from FABULOUS to SUPER in five short years ...

I think the FAB tag on them lasted for several years in DCN promos after 65 but, the SUPER was dropped ...

OMG!!! Thanx Andy!! That is FABULOUS coverage!!

yup... that's all good historical stuff... "Fabulous" was officially during the 5 years in Irondequoit... The merged corps was of course, The Grey Knight Post Crusaders... After that, we were careful not to use the word Fabulous in '66 as we didn't want to offend any of the former Grey Knights even though we had unceremoniously dropped the "Grey Knight Post" from the name...

The history document cited was accurate... Although it was Jack Jennejahn who brought Vince Bruni from the Brockport Batavia Cavaliers in 1949 (Not Paul Rood)... and as they say, the rest is history...

yup... that's all good historical stuff... "Fabulous" was officially during the 5 years in Irondequoit... The merged corps was of course, The Grey Knight Post Crusaders... After that, we were careful not to use the word Fabulous in '66 as we didn't want to offend any of the former Grey Knights even though we had unceremoniously dropped the "Grey Knight Post" from the name...

The history document cited was accurate... Although it was Jack Jennejahn who brought Vince Bruni from the Brockport Batavia Cavaliers in 1949 (Not Paul Rood)... and as they say, the rest is history...

ok this is real easy. for anyone that has the 1969 dca recording we were announced as the fabulous crusaders. that's on the recording. now i know that by 1972 we were no longer the fabulous crusaders.

tom if you go to the cru website you will see a lot of errors in the history of the corps. i have addressed it to them for 2 years but nothing has cahnged. i even sent them the 25 year silver anniversary history book. that was a waste of time . they changed nothing.

by the way vic genberg and ed wakerly pused to drop fab from the name. you were with brigs at the time.

You and Don need to know... I wasn't trying to Dename either of you...

You are no doubt right about their avoiding the use of the name in the later 60's but i was "official" from 1960 until the merge in the fall of '64 - so this now becomes a case for both of us being right... I can surely appreciate that two class guys like Dr. Vic Genberg and Ed Wackerle (a scientist and a high school principal) would be opposed to such flamboyant an adjective.

I must defend the boss (VB) though as it was a brilliant PR move when they needed it. They had a lot of trouble getting "respect" from '59 on and they were clearly getting better and better... When they beat Brigadiers in the '61 Legion States - the respect began to be achieved...

Now, how about some names on that great picture...

and let's throw in a bonus for whoever can name the Junior corps standing next to us... (no, I don't remember)... but I do remember that Maynard Bjerk of Bemidji Minnesota won a new car that night and held up the awards for what seemed like an hour while they tried to find him... will NEVER forget that name...