OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

I would just like to point out that there's nothing wrong with bylines legs.

They do seem to reach the ground!

LOL! :tounge2:

Speaking of legs and white boots:

BD212.jpg

This was drill team, pre-Blue Devils. Short skirts and HUGE rifles! I still have this one from the picture and can barely spin it anymore!

You could be right. Andre is a person of color. Also I do know that some Glassmen went to Oakland when the Glassmen went inactive in 76. Bob Brady was one that I know for sure that went to Oakland. As for others I can not say for sure.

Odbc you are correct on all accounts. I would like to see some pictures from The Dutch Boy Cadets from back in the day. For that matter I would really like to see pictures from all Canadan Corps. The Glassmen made many trips to Canada back in the day. I do have a picture or two from Canada but I do not know where they were taken. But you can see the Canadan Flag in the back ground. There were some very powerfull all Girls Corps from Canada.

Yep I remember Andre, Chris Mason, Bob Brady, Larry Lurch, Ken Mazur.... I think Jim Easton Went to Oakland too didn't he???? Got anymore pics from 75 Dean????

You could be right. Andre is a person of color. Also I do know that some Glassmen went to Oakland when the Glassmen went inactive in 76. Bob Brady was one that I know for sure that went to Oakland. As for others I can not say for sure.

Yup, that sounds like Andre. Cool! I remembered the fellow, but couldn't remember his name till now.

This was drill team, pre-Blue Devils. Short skirts and HUGE rifles! I still have this one from the picture and can barely spin it anymore!

Thanks for this wonderful photo, Lee. I wore those boots too, with extra socks or they fly off on the first kick. You 'triggered' my memory about trying rifles. I checked my old scrapbook and was on solo rifle at Individuals Feb. 7, 1970 and in my book is my trigger guard, that little metal piece that would slap on the rifle strap. I went back to flag in the summer, rifle was too hard for me. I have respect for rifle lines. :tongue:

Speaking of legs and white boots:

BD212.jpg

Hello Lee.......my wifey - 27th Lancer rifle - would tend to disagree. You see, they ALWAYS use the HUGE rifles, while BD did go to the shorter style. When BD was making its move up the ladder in 74 and 75- there certainly was a bit of jealously - perhaps envy. The rest of the Lancer corps was always reminded how BD used those "short" rifles.

My wife still has 3 of her rifles. One from winter guard (late 1970's), one from 81, and one from 1994. My sons were always warned - DO NOT TOUCH THEM.

As for the strap - near the end of 1973 SCV show, during the melo solo, you can hear their rifles spinning because they left the straps on their rifles. It does sound kewl.

Hello Lee.......my wifey - 27th Lancer rifle - would tend to disagree. You see, they ALWAYS use the HUGE rifles, while BD did go to the shorter style. When BD was making its move up the ladder in 74 and 75- there certainly was a bit of jealously - perhaps envy. The rest of the Lancer corps was always reminded how BD used those "short" rifles.

My wife still has 3 of her rifles. One from winter guard (late 1970's), one from 81, and one from 1994. My sons were always warned - DO NOT TOUCH THEM.

As for the strap - near the end of 1973 SCV show, during the melo solo, you can hear their rifles spinning because they left the straps on their rifles. It does sound kewl.

Your comments made me curious so I dug my old rifles out of the back of the coat closet and weighed and measured them. (Hold your letch-y comments please ;-) ! )

The rifle in the picture, my drill team rifle, is 41.5" long, including the barrel, and weighs a whopping 4 lbs. 3 oz. It's got a strap, trigger guard (though no trigger) and a bolt assembly.

My Blue Devil rifle from 1976, which includes the bolt assembly and a strap, weighs 3 lbs. 10 oz. and measures 37.5" long. 5.5" of that is barrel.

My Blue Devil rifle from 1981, no strap, weighs 3 lbs. even and is 37" long.

(All these rifles were handmade and could vary in weight; made exchanges a b*tch!)

By comparison, I have a completely wooden rifle I used in a play I did in 1982 ("The Lorin Solo") that I think is closer to the rifles they use today. It's only 34" long and weighs a mere 2 lbs. 4 oz!

Edited by elayes

You can also hear that near the end of the '79 Troopers' show too.