Hops Blog

If that happened I would have to stop supporting The Cadets.

Props and narration don't bother me but anyone who thinks that purple is the best is clearly no longer in touch with reality. Every sane person knows that red is where it is at

it is true, that's why the koolaid man himself is red

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone posted it here for discussion/thoughts on the show concept. If you really think that's taking it as "gospel" you need to adjust your sense of reality.

I think he means "gospel" as in "something hotly debated" rather than "the irrefutable truth." Which isn't really a legitimate use of the term, unless he's looking to confuse people.

Oh for goodness sake, come on folks. This is a great piece of music. I've performed it and conducted it for concert band many times. The Cadets have every right to perform it. I'm sure most of the music out there was never intended for the drum corps medium. I'm sure Shostakovich never said to himself "Man, I hope Phantom Regiment plays this someday."

I'm sure the meaning behind the piece will not be drastically altered in any way. But, if they get permission to arrange it and perform it, they can do whatever they like with Ticheli's permission.

Sometimes I swear you people look for every opportunity to bash on Hopkins and the Cadets at every turn. End the witch hunt, folks. It's getting old. Grow up.

Let me add a bit to what you said, besides the music performance people on DCP and in the stands, how many of the casual drum corps fans would actually know that American Elegy is related to the Columbine incident? In fact, how many of the casual fans actually heard AE? Just because a select few have played it and know why it was commisioned doesn't give it a reason to not be performed.

Let me add a bit to what you said, besides the music performance people on DCP and in the stands, how many of the casual drum corps fans would actually know that American Elegy is related to the Columbine incident? In fact, how many of the casual fans actually heard AE? Just because a select few have played it and know why it was commisioned doesn't give it a reason to not be performed.

Did you just come to Hopkins defense? I'm impressed.

HH

I have no problem at all with the piece being performed, I was simply talking about IF, and only IF they were to change the intended meaning of the piece.

As far as it being played, I think the Cadets will do a fine job with it, and with a Tichelli show.

Hand up in the air. I had no idea. I was going to post what you just said. Really. If I have heard AE I do not remember. Did Mr. Hopkins say the Cadets are going to play this song? So, it is all right for U2 to not only play but write a song about a tragedy. (Bloody Sunday) But it is not all right for the Cadets to play a song about a tragedy. (American Elegy). Wow.

I mean, with the number of high school and middle school bands that have butchered American Elegy over the past couple of years (I know mine did) I don't think Ticheli is really worried about the sanctity of the dedication any more.

Spending the night on the Cadets ..

Been making notes on charts for meeting tomorow with Eric.

So much wonderful material ... so much .... and it is going to be a wonderful show.

For me, at this juncture, it.s about the angle, or the story, or the reason for being.

How to make people feel ... sorrow, joy, and evertthing in between .... this is the quest!!!

To be in amazement ... to be filled with thoughts ... to wonder .... and to be sure that you just needed to see this again.

Not because you were not sure ... but because of the beauty ... the quality and the feelings.

It's about feeling.

The members are going to simply have the show of their lives ...

Just listening to the music I am filled with excitement at times and tears at others.

I hope we get to "just listen" to the music too, if you know what I mean.

Edited by hughesmr