DCI "Places ESPN2 Broadcoast on Hiatus"

Yeah, drum corps fans can still buy the DVDs and watch the cinecast. However, DCI just lost ALL outside exposure to the drum corps activity. Maybe it wasn't a ton of exposure before, but now there is none at all, which I really think IS a bad thing for the activity. As this happens, I think DCI will tend to become more though of as an "enthusiast activity" rather than a professional marching organization, that band kids all around the country look up to. It's a sad time for DCI.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:worthy: wow!! thats all I can say! :bluedevil:

THE ONLY REASON WHY I'M INVOLVED WITH DRUM CORPS WAS BY HEARING ABOUT IT THROUGH ESPN2!! what ABOUT THOSE KIDS LIKE ME THE 100'S AND 1,000!!???? :rolleyes:

Edited by Supersop08

You know, every now and again I come up with a really great idea that I put out in the public domain that somebody else "borrows" and reaps really big benefits from. I just came up with one of those right here in this thread. I was going to spill the whole bean pot right here, when I thought, "Why should I do that and get nothing for my efforts?"

Stay tuned, boys and girls...and keep up the discussion!

BTW, ESPN broadcast wasn't geared for us, the faithful...it was geared for new fans. Probably not many of those either, so it is getting nixed.

Oh pleeze. Drum Corps actually did manage to exist and thrive long before Star arrived.

<snip>

Sure it did--but the activity was very much helped along when they were around.

My comment was in reference to the support that the activity (and especially the PBS broadcast) gained from Bill Cook's Cook Group Foundation. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly they were a major corporate sponsor of the PBS show for several years during their time in the activity. Despite their rep as the "Dark Side" of the activity, the actions of Bill and crew helped keep the show on the air during those years.

It was a mostly flip and sarcastic comment, but the grain of truth in it is that the extra corporate dollars were a good thing at the time, and it appears that such a helping hand would be a good thing for DCI right about now.

It is entirely possible that Stars management saw the direction that DCI was heading and wanted no part of it. Ever consider that possibility?

The decision of Star's management to leave the activity has been very well documented on this site and others, by those inside the group, and it nothing to do with that.

The broadcasts have been a failure since moving to ESPN2. Failure in the sense that they haven't been utilizing ESPN's resources the way they could have. Yeah it's the same thing as it was on PBS, but that's the problem...

So I heard about people marching because they saw it on ESPN2... but I think most of those people would know to watch it because they heard about it somewhere else in the first place. I first watched DCI on PBS because my band director told us about it... I don't think I would have ever flipped through and randomly found it on ESPN2.

So they tried it on ESPN2 for a few years and it obviously didn't have the effect of bringing in random people who otherwise would have not be introduced to the activity. Or maybe it did, but it wasn't cost effective. But who's to say they won't try PBS (a much cheaper option, I'm assuming) again?

I agree that having some sort of broadcast is very important. Band kiddos need some sort of way to watch it if there are no DVDs available.

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe the internet has changed this? I mean I couldn't really go online to see what drum corps was about when I was first introduced to it. I mean, I could see pictures, but now we have streaming media, blogs, instant news, etc. Is the internet filling the goals the TV broadcast was original meant to fulfill?

Edited by zackiedude

more accurate translation - it wasn't worth the money

DCI had to PAY to broadcast. Revenues recouped by ad sales of a program that airs only 1-2x per year by a producer who does no other programming do measure up.

Translation - we need money.

The broadcasts have been a failure since moving to ESPN2. Failure in the sense that they haven't been utilizing ESPN's resources the way they could have. Yeah it's the same thing as it was on PBS, but that's the problem...

What ESPN resources should DCI have used? DCI bought a 2-hour block of time on the network. That's the extent of the relationship. ESPN doesn't promote time buy programs.