A rich kid's sport

Jeez... When I marched, I wasnt local to Sacramento so I moved there... and got a job. I actually lived in the corps hall for a few months til I found my own place. That said, tour fees for us at the time were roughly about $400. Relatively easy ask really! In Freelancers, our corps makeup was roughly half and half... Half from Sacramento and half from SoCal. So we just ran a bus every camp weekend and the SoCal kids paid a few bucks to get them to camp.

Looking back, I guess it was a much simpler time. A bit more rugh around the edges but pure and simple. I guess I am looking at DCI and thinking that it may just sooner than we all know it price itself right out of existence.

Got a job - what a radical concept!

Good for you

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, especially when you factor in all the airfare that is now a part of the drum corps experience.

I don't know how some kids do it.

My kid's auditioning just an hour and a half away, and we're doing everything we can to figure out how we're going to pay for this tour. We're a single income household, and coming up with $2300 bucks is proving quite the challenge. And that's without the airfare.

Hopefully more scholarships and sponsorships can come in to help fill some of the void. It's a shame that some fat cat oil exec has never been hooked in by the activity like Bill Cook was. There is enough money flowing through those people and companies to make tour almost free for everybody in every active DCI corps.

I really want to march a drumcorps in the USA. I now march in Europe but it's so different from what's going on in DCI, and that is something I really want to experience.

But, marching one season would cost me about $12000!

I'm from an environment where that is something unaffordable. My parents are not in a situation to help me out financially and I can't earn all that money with a job I have next to my school and rehearsals at my current corps. It makes marching something that is out of reach for me, which I will regret for the rest of my life.

So yes, form my point of view it's definately a rich kid's sport.

Edited by danieltenor

I really want to march a drumcorps in the USA. I now march in Europe but it's so different from what's going on in DCI, and that is something I really want to experience.

But, marching one season would cost me about $12000!

I'm from an environment where that is something unaffordable. My parents are not in a situation to help me out financially and I can't earn all that money with a job I have next to my school and rehearsals at my current corps. It makes marching something that is out of reach for me, which I will regret for the rest of my life.

So yes, form my point of view it's definately a rich kid's sport.

And if there were no tour fees it would still be about $10000 for you, so it is irrelevant.

And if there were no tour fees it would still be about $10000 for you, so it is irrelevant.

I don't see the words "tour fee" in his post. IMO, overall costs are very relevant.

Yeah, I know fee costs was in the OP but like we've never strayed off the OP before... :bluedevil:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

But the majority of his fees would be plane flights. That has nothing to do with DCI or the individual corps.

True but I don't see Daniels post blaming the corps or DCI for the high costs. IMO, he's just stating the costs of joining a DCI corps (or any American corps for that matter) and in his opinion he'd have to be rich to afford it. From your response it looked like you slammed him for blaming high DCI tour costs which I don't see on his post. Maybe I misread both of your intents......

Ooops time to get ready for my corps banquet. With the exception of 80 miles in gas (round trip) it's about as low cost as you can get and still play a horn. Not a slam on DCI or DCA, just #### glad there is a corps nearby that I can very easily afford.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

True but I don't see Daniels post blaming the corps or DCI for the high costs. IMO, he's just stating the costs of joining a DCI corps (or any American corps for that matter) and in his opinion he'd have to be rich to afford it. From your response it looked like you slammed him for blaming high DCI tour costs which I don't see on his post. Maybe I misread both of your intents......

Ooops time to get ready for my corps banquet. With the exception of 80 miles in gas (round trip) it's about as low cost as you can get and still play a horn. Not a slam on DCI or DCA, just #### glad there is a corps nearby that I can very easily afford.

No, I was just saying his exceptional circumstances are irrelevant to the purpose of the conversation

No, I was just saying his exceptional circumstances are irrelevant to the purpose of the conversation

OK, my bad...

Geez I thought needing stronger bi-focals meant problems reading posts, not understanding them. :bluedevil: