A rich kid's sport

Got a job - what a radical concept!

Good for you

Yeah....not like all those slackers today that cant march corps because they sit on their ##### for the other 9 months of the year.

/ sarcasm

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think DCA's typical lower corps fees is attracting that younger demographic that can't afford DCI.

Honestly, I think I spent (and will spend when I finish paying of my dues) just as much money marching senior corps this year, as I did when I was flying to junior corps three years ago.

The dues might be less, but there's the gas, and the plane flights, and the hotels, and the lunches and dinner that the corps doesn't provide.

No, I was just saying his exceptional circumstances are irrelevant to the purpose of the conversation

I didn't want to bash any corps on high fees. I know it's hard for thIe corps with all the gasprices, but I thought it wouldn't do anyone bad to give some attention to kids that come from other parts in the world to march DCI and have to sacrifice a lot for that! Of course, what they get in in return is so much more.

I didn't want to bash any corps on high fees. I know it's hard for thIe corps with all the gasprices, but I thought it wouldn't do anyone bad to give some attention to kids that come from other parts in the world to march DCI and have to sacrifice a lot for that! Of course, what they get in in return is so much more.

And we all know how fun it is to pay for international flights... I'm in the process of working my bum off full time trying to pay off my credit card from buying AU$4000 worth of flights, tax and travil insurance for next years season.. and I'm only working as a volunteer!! I can onlt imagine how hard it would be for kids who have to then find money to cover all the other expenses involved on top of flights.. I know most are students so full time work isnt always exactley an option... Kudos for them for doing it tho!! Its got to teach them some pretty awesome money management skills!!!!

Its got to teach them some pretty awesome money management skills!!!!

Or just get them up to their eyeballs in debt... Perhaps the solution is for more regional touring and a shorter second season. If corps toured regionally perhaps there would also be more of a local identity for each group as well.

Yeah....not like all those slackers today that cant march corps because they sit on their ##### for the other 9 months of the year.

/ sarcasm

Do you really think I am having a go at the kids marching today? Do you really think that I dont realise that kids marching today have to work their ##### off to be able to tour? Come on now, really!! All I am saying is that corps are too expensive these days and my moving to Sacramento and getting a job at Pizza Hut certainly wouldnt cover the costs involved with touring today. So yes, drum corps HAS become a rich kids sport.

If I was a college student in the same boat that I was in when I was a student years ago, I would not be able to afford to marcin the corps that I did. Even back then, I squeeked through one year, and the only reason that I marched a second was because I replaced a kid who couldn't finish the season (and had paid), and they let me march for free, and I also was able to work a bit between tours.

Unfortunately, it is becoming an activity that has fewer kids from low income and low middle income families. However, I do feel that many corps do try to create opportunities for members to raise the money, and if a kid makes the corps, they can find a way to get the $$ done. But, it's not easy, and the amount, mainly due to fuel costs, continues and will continue to escalate.

The last time I went to Orlando, I was floored seeing corps members pull out credit cards and spending money like water inside Disney with no worry. I know that when I marched, at that point in the season I was down to my last dollars, which were spent very frugally on perhaps some food/snacks if I had enough, and I was digging for change in my bags.

I am a bit concerned that as prices continue to rise, talented low and low/middle income students may be priced out of the activity, and that corps will choose members based on their ability to pay.....thus coming from mostly mid-high income families. In the "old days", nearly any kid who wanted to could come up with or raise the money to march....that is becoming much harder to do, especially for kids from low to low/middle income families, and that saddens me. What saddens me more is I don't see any easy answer....drum corps is an expensive organization to run, and when your fuel costs more than double in 3 years time, that is tough..........

GB

I didn't read through all the posts so this may have been brought up.

The Colts! One thing I was amazed by was the fact that Greg, Vicki, and Jeff would not turn anyone down for financial reasons who wanted to be a part of the Colts or any of their other programs.

I didn't read through all the posts so this may have been brought up.

The Colts! One thing I was amazed by was the fact that Greg, Vicki, and Jeff would not turn anyone down for financial reasons who wanted to be a part of the Colts or any of their other programs.

I think you'll find that most, if not all corps are this way. There's always a way to march.