Indianapolis

Well, here's one writers view:

I’m not about to judge a book by its cover but I’ve been in Indianapolis for about six and a half hours and so far I’d rather stick my peter in a sliding mini-van door and slam it shut a few times rather than spend anymore time here. As we were landing it seemed like the plane was parting a sea of grossness consisting of pollution, farts and awful burps...the kind you have after eating mid grade chinese food. Then after being at my hotel for awhile I decided to check out the local area for places to eat. I did a search online for restaurants in a 20 mile radius and literally 13 out of the 20 options were Arby’s. Honestly I couldn’t make this stuff up, Burger Kings are a delicacy out here.

Full Article

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full Article

<sarcasm> Oh....I remember coming across that review in The Economist </sarcasm>

I agree that Indy is a nice place for DCI.

That said, I don't believe DCI should be held for 10 years straight in any location.

I don't think that anyone but the most die hard fans are going to want to go to the same place every August.

3 years intervals at one location I believe makes the most sense.

Believe it or not it is quite possible that DCI is going to wear out its welcome with the local schools. A bunch of us drum corps fans discussed the "10 years at Indy" quite a bit while waiting for our plane after DCI in Madison 2006. Someone familar with that area (And drum corps overall) said the practice facilities will get harder and harder to lock down with each passing season. HS/college football teams will be upset about having there facilities used up by a drum corps. We all know the wear and tear a field takes after a drum corps has bee on it.......

Curious to see what happens.......

Every now and again when I am watching my 2004 (Denver) or Madison (2006) dvd's it hits me pretty hard that we are not going to see DCI finals at either one of those GREAT locations for many many seasons.....if at all.... :(

Full Article

last line of the article - "So in closing I’d like to say f*ck Greg Dickerson I hope he chokes on a gross Arby’s hot dog and we get some smokin’ hot chick."

looks like a wikipedia article someone hacked into, haha....though i did find the paragraph about the fat american criticizing the two brits to be pretty funny.

Believe it or not it is quite possible that DCI is going to wear out its welcome with the local schools. A bunch of us drum corps fans discussed the "10 years at Indy" quite a bit while waiting for our plane after DCI in Madison 2006. Someone familar with that area (And drum corps overall) said the practice facilities will get harder and harder to lock down with each passing season. HS/college football teams will be upset about having there facilities used up by a drum corps. We all know the wear and tear a field takes after a drum corps has bee on it.......

Curious to see what happens.......

Every now and again when I am watching my 2004 (Denver) or Madison (2006) dvd's it hits me pretty hard that we are not going to see DCI finals at either one of those GREAT locations for many many seasons.....if at all.... :(

AND, "believe it or not," it is quite possible that DCI is not going to wear out its welcome with the local schools.

I've spoken to a few band directors there and they want the corps at their schools for their kids to watch for inspiration.

There is no much negativity when we should be focusing on the potential.

I'm not saying you're part of this group, but sometimes I wonder if there are some who hope this thing fails, if for no other reason than to pull up old posts to say, "I told you so."

I would call anyone who travels to another city and spends 3 days + watching drum corps a drum corps nut (by no means a derogatory term).

A drum corps nut will go if DCI is in Orlando or Phoenix or Salt Lake City or ........

I consider myself a casual fan, I like going to shows but one night is plenty. If I'm going to travel across the country to another city I like to check out the

sites, the museums, what makes the city unique, etc. My only point is that I believe to attract casual drum corps fans (i.e. people like me or spouses of

old drum corps members/fans who have a say into where the summer's vacation is going to be) a big part of it is what the area has to offer. I think Denver, Boston, Madison, Pasadena & Indy are all fine examples of destination cities for a vacation that one would go to - but not 10 years in a row.

Truthfully Indy is nice and close for me and I'm sure I'll go once or twice in the next decade.

Yes I am a drum corps nut, but my point was if I'm going to an event (doesn't matter what event), then I don't care where it is because I'm there to see the event not the town. If I'm taking a golf vacation I don't care what else is in the location I'm going other than golf because that is the purpose of the trip, just like Drum corps. I'm there to see corps, not visit museums or whatever, I can do that at home. but i can't go to DCI finals at home (except in 2000 when finals was at my home).

They could hold finals on the moon, and if I felt like attending finals I would go to the moon because that is where the show is.

If they held the Super Bowl in indianapolis for 10 years and I wanted to go to the super bowl every year I wouldn't care that it was in the same place every year because it is the game I'm going to see not the town.

Wow! I am amazed at such hated some have for the city of Indianapolis. I am sorry you had a bad experience. Having been born and raised on the southside, I am very happy with city now. I watched it change while growing up and I'll have to say it's greatly improved from what it used to be.

I am looking forward to DCI Finals being here next year because I am a corps fan and financially, I wouldn't be able to afford to travel otherwise. Just as with every other new venue, I would recommend giving it a try and then jamming on it afterward with criticism and complaints just like the threads about Pasadena. No place is going to be perfect.

Indy has a lot to offer and typically caters well and welcomes large events. The local eaterys usually decorate according to the theme of major events and offer specials to visitors.

I can recommend a great pizza place on the northwest side

Michael, if you are on the near south side...try this pizza Bob's Pizza Get the large with everything...you won't be disappointed. :)

To those coming to Indy...WELCOME! I hope you enjoy your stay and show is great!

I disagree with you here. I go to allentown every year, not for what the city has to offer but for the show. And when I go to finals it's for the show not the city, although I did go to Denver just because it was denver and I wanted to go there. If you are going to see drum corps who cares where it is, you're gonna spend most of the day in the stadium anyway so it could be any city as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. And the thought of anyone going to Allentown for what the city has to offer is too funny. Unless they REALLY like hills, bad parking & well... that's about it!