Sad News

Fastone

When I heard the news of this great loss, I was and still am in shock. My prayers go out to the Richardson family, and I know that Konga will be joining George, Hy, Lefty, Winky, Butch, in that greatest of all drumcorps. Heaven is getting a great person. RIP my brother.

Judge

I am just shocked and saddened by this news. Konga was one of my favorite Skyliners!!!

:(

Wow... a truly great one.... my condolences to his family and to the entire Skyliner family...

Bill and I are shocked and saddened by this news. Konga exemplified the spirit of family in DCA. He always had a smile and a kind (or funny) word for everyone, both as an individual, and as a competitor. He had room in his heart for all of us, no matter how big the activity grew. It's easy to be upbeat in good times, but most impressive about Konga was the dignity and grace with which he weathered the bad. He was truly a key factor in the many times Sky was voted "Most Entertaining." This just doesn't feel right.

Our thoughts go out to his family and the entire DCA extended family.

Wow... a truly great one.... my condolences to his family and to the entire Skyliner family...

The "brothers" and I wishto give our condolences to the Richardson familyat this time of thier loss.they will be in our prayers and thoughts.....Sandy McNeal,Dave Hurt,Steve Masters and in spirit,our brother,Irv Hurt.

Oh my.... I am so sorry to read this news.

Ray was a great guy....like others have said on this thread, he always had a smile and a kind word to say every time any of us had a chance to chat with him.

He was a Skyliner through and through, and a great, great personality as a drum major and horn player..... one of the personalities that have made the all-age drum corps activity so special over the years.

Rest in peace, Ray. We will all miss you dearly.

Fran

I remember when Konga joined Sky in 72 ... and how his "one liners" were honed under the guidance of Sol Anthony ...

This is truly mind numbing to reflect on the loss. My heart goes out to Ray’s family and all who knew him. Ray was an engaging, outgoing, thoughtful and talented man, and a classic Skyliner.

I rejoined the corps in 2003 and quickly recognized that Konga was a cornerstone of the organization. And as I read Andy’s post, I realized the linkage that Konga represented for me back to the Skyliners of my youth when I marched with Andy and Sol Anthony and the rest of the corps in 1969. The talent, and spirit and that how can I say it, call you out, shout you down and break your chops as needed attitude was there. As a kid, I may have heard Sol say that someone needs a “beating” (of course with that wicked hysterical laugh). It can be rough at times to be a Skyliner, but it makes you stronger. This goes for most of drum corps I am sure.

Memories of last 5 ½ years are flooding in. Parades, crowds and most of all Drum Corps – Raymond loved it all.

Don DeRisi

On behalf of the Sun Devils and myself, may the family and Skyliners accept our prayers and condolences. Konga will be missed by all of drum and bugle corps.

Konga say Hi to my brother Brian!