my remarks about winning,Fran, was made because in my opinion and many others that were in the stands in 1975 Phoenix flat out won prelims

I understand what you're saying.... I was just tweakin' y'all a bit. :devil:

I wish I could have seen that Phoenix prelims performance in person...... all I know is that the corps sounds pretty #### good on the Finals recording!

Fran

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for Cabs or Sky but with the Sunrisers we could party with the best of them and even teach a few lessons but WE NEVER, NEVER did anything before a show.

After....well that's a different story...lol...best left in the vault.

True words George.... :devil:

What's amazing here is that this corps died 30 years ago and there is still interest and debate over Phoenix. Whatever the reason, they were a great corps for the short time and you can't take that away from them. So instead of being negative, think of what the corps did, its accomplishment, and be happy with that.

Thanks Keith. For many of us, it was a great experience that died too soon.

Donny

I understand what you're saying.... I was just tweakin' y'all a bit. :cool:

I wish I could have seen that Phoenix prelims performance in person...... all I know is that the corps sounds pretty #### good on the Finals recording!

Fran

Which reminded me of a scarey fact from the day.

Pretty sure Phoenix was the LAST corps on for Prelims. Which meant they only had a few hours to catch their breath before coming out for Finals again. If 1975 was anything like 1976, Finals started only an hour or so after Prelims finished. Imagine their finish with the rest break the other top 10 corps got.

Johnny T is right...we let one go in prelims. I know at least one judge had us first and the rest of the judges were just a little apprehensive to throw it down.

Finals was not as good for sure. But as has benn stated, time in between did not give us any more than a return to our post...some celebrating ..(uh oh)...a return to the stadium and warm up and show. It poured that night as well, so we spent some dead time under the stands. The finals show was not as inspired as prelims.

Donny

Johnny T is right...we let one go in prelims. I know at least one judge had us first and the rest of the judges were just a little apprehensive to throw it down.

Finals was not as good for sure. But as has benn stated, time in between did not give us any more than a return to our post...some celebrating ..(uh oh)...a return to the stadium and warm up and show. It poured that night as well, so we spent some dead time under the stands. The finals show was not as inspired as prelims.

Donny

i think you should have been 3rd. but..............

• 4 weeks later...
I can't speak for Cabs or Sky but with the Sunrisers we could party with the best of them and even teach a few lessons but WE NEVER, NEVER did anything before a show.

After....well that's a different story...lol...best left in the vault.

George,

Then your now older memory must have forgotten about the "Wail Juice" we would share before some shows! That was the best tasting concoction I ever had, but the best part was the watermelon! I think somewhere along the way someone realized a few folks were taking more than a ceremonial sip and decided it should be had after the show.

Fun times and great Wail Juice!!!

• 4 weeks later...

One of the coolest memories in my long drum corps experience was in 1975......I marched in the Cadets of Greece, NY.......1975 Class A DCI champs and many other contests that year including US Open Class A!

On returning from Ohio on our School Buses (seemed to take days!) we arrived about 12:30 am at our dropoff point,Northgate Plaza. We were all exhausted and in some state of half-slumber and imagine our suprise to have the Rochester Phoenix Drum Corps lined up to do a "park-n-blow" runthru of their show!!!!! :ph34r::devil:

It was in honor of winning the US Open title and they all gave up their respective time to do a concert for us!! CLASS ACT! :rolleyes:

WE all woke up real fast after the hit in their opener of "Firebird/Light my Fire" and loved the special concert for us and the familys meeting our corps......Cool Beans! :ph34r: