Rule Proposal 2008-08

Rules 2008  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Sound Board by Member (2009)

• No; maintain that the soundboard can be manipulated by any member or staff
    • Yes; require that any used soundboard must be used by member(s) and NOT staff

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd vote yes. Put the performance back in the hands of the members COMPLETELY.

To those who argue "who would wanna pay $2,000 to mix a soundboard all summer?", good point. Directors could maybe charge significantly less for dues for the member who is brought on as the "sound person". If they want someone good, they'll probably have to. Membership limit is 150 now so the corps won't be missing out on as much money as they might have before.

I have HUGE problems with how they're manipulated during a show. I have no problem with setting them during warmup by staff. But playing with levels during a show is cheating in my mind.

agreed...ESPECIALLY with that rule of amped brass?!!!!

"oh wait the trumpets are sticking way out of the ensemble *flips back volume on trumpets* = Score not reflecting the true performance.

Since the mixing board directly affects the projection of the sound (especially up to the ensemble judges), whoever's behind he controls IS a part of teh performance unit and shoul dbe an actual member of teh corps...not a staffer...if they cabn;t control things properly, sucks to be them....just like if you're a sop player who can't get the idea of releasing properly or not overblowing...

A yes to this one, the mixers really blew it last year by often looking like homeless guys on the boards

Always felt it was a cop to not have members on the mixers anyway – doubt they’d do a worse job than the current mixers

Isn't usually a pit instructor who "mans the board"? I would think it'd be more beneficial for the members for the instructor to focus on the members' performance without having their attention split by the sound board responsibility.

I still say no to the rule though, just thinkin...

Edited by DKracing

I don't think any of you really know what the staff member does to "operate" the sounds board. I can speak for at least 6 of the top 12 front ensembles, because I've talked to their members about it.

They all either hire a sound professional, or have a staff member go through the entire show, and set "scenes" For example, if letter A to B is a bunch of cymbal hits, turn the keyboard mix down, so you don't hear the cymbals through the mics. Letter B to C is a keyboard feature, they'll set the levels to balance properly. After they do this for as many different parts of the show that they want, the staff member simply hits the "next scene" button at the applicable time, and all the levels change accordingly.

While the possibility for the tech to "Turn johnny's mic because he's dirting out a run" is there, it rarely, if ever happens. Even if it does, what's the difference between a member out front turning down that mic, and a staff member?

To have a member on tour to just hit one button about 20 times a show is a freaking joke.