Is the SCV Tilt Back?

Here we go again. We had a long and spirited discussion about THE CASELLA TILT on the percussion forum last year. I called it a gimmick. Bottom line: No DCI drumline has ever won high percussion with tilted snares. Correct me if I'm wrong.......

Geez, do you have to claim LSU when you post. :laugh: Think of who might be reading. This forum is full of hardcorps people who have lived and experienced it all when it come to the world of drum corps. They are plentiful in knowledge and love a good debate or lynching :guinesssmilie: .

I'm embarassed to link myself to you as an LSU alum. Haven't you seen a video of any DCI finals from 1972 to the mid eighties. Everybody's snares were tilted and each year somebody wins drums. That means that YES high percussion has been won by a DCI drumline with tilted snares.

Think man, think.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an ignorant statement for you. The fact that he doesn't know who won percussion at DCI finals very single year does not make him a noob. Your maturity (or lack thereof) level just showed.

Lol, the fact that he didnt know who won does not. The fact that he made a strong statement based on obviously faulty evidence that ignored half the history of the activity (not to mention th recent 04 history) makes him a 'n00b'

Either way, it was a joke. Theres about a thousand worse things to be called....

Geez, do you have to claim LSU when you post. :laugh: Think of who might be reading. This forum is full of hardcorps people who have lived and experienced it all when it come to the world of drum corps. They are plentiful in knowledge and love a good debate or lynching :guinesssmilie: .

I'm embarassed to link myself to you as an LSU alum. Haven't you seen a video of any DCI finals from 1972 to the mid eighties. Everybody's snares were tilted and each year somebody wins drums. That means that YES high percussion has been won by a DCI drumline with tilted snares.

Think man, think.

Actually, by 1975 or 76, nearly every snare line was flat. Its kind of ironic that flat occurred while slings were still the norm, & before the snare carrier became popular in 79 & 80. I can't remember a snare line that was tilt between 75 & , well, through the 80's. I guess the Bridgemen still had a slight tilt until they finally gave in & went to carriers a couple of years before there demise.

To me the tilt is a distraction that completely destroys the look & symmetry of a snare line.

But thats just me...

Dinosaurs

or maybe, Corpsosaurs... :rolleyes:

Brontocorpsus

Tyranacorpsus Rex

Well, having the drum hanging down to their shins didn't help.

You know, I hear people saying that all the time about the 2005 snareline, but if you look at the snares compared to the tenors, they were the same height. It really wasn't any different from marching (or playing) tenors, only the weight was less.

You know, I hear people saying that all the time about the 2005 snareline, but if you look at the snares compared to the tenors, they were the same height. It really wasn't any different from marching (or playing) tenors, only the weight was less.

That's a little different... The tenor drum set has a spok drum right above the knees so there is reallly nothing there to prohibit leg movement, the larger drums remain off to the sides of the drummer. Whereas a snare drum keeps the bulk of the drum right in front of the player so I imagine those guys had some bruises and what not on them by the end of the season.

Edited by Vanguard07

That's a little different... The tenor drum set has a spok drum right above the knees so there is reallly nothing there to prohibit leg movement, the larger drums remain off to the sides of the drummer. Whereas a snare drum keeps the bulk of the drum right in front of the player so I imagine those guys had some bruises and what not on them by the end of the season.

when tenors are in proper playing position, it's almost impossible to NOT have them in the way of your marching. every season i marched, i had bruises on my quads (the muscles, not the drums) from my j-bars hitting every time i took a step.

Lol, the fact that he didnt know who won does not. The fact that he made a strong statement based on obviously faulty evidence that ignored half the history of the activity (not to mention th recent 04 history) makes him a 'n00b'

Either way, it was a joke. Theres about a thousand worse things to be called....

Win.