Lying about corps experience

You know, on the surface it may not make much sense, but I can see why that policy is in place. The mods have no way of determining who is telling the truth. And it could be that someone who really did march with a particular corps is being unfairly attacked by someone else. How are they supposed to know? It's better just to keep that sort of reply off-limits, as there are other ways to resolve it (PMs, etc.). I suppose if someone can offer irrefutable proof that someone did not march, then that might be allowed. But as we all know, it's a whole lot harder to prove a negative than it is a positive. I can prove that I marched Oakland the years I did (though some might claim that's nothing to brag about), but could anyone prove that I didn't march, say, in '76 or '77? It would be pretty hard to do.

Sure makes sense. . .but when someone who is one of the most outspoken people on DCP PM's different people saying he marched different corps (none of which they did) just to gain favor with CMM's of those corps, I have a huge problem with that. But hey, in the end, nothing is more sad than someone like that. I guess the big punishment is them having to live with themselves. Not much more sad around here than an old washed-up wanna-be.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to know a guy from NY that said he marched in Blue Devils, but actually marched in Blue Stars.

Also, know a HS guard instructor who said he marched in Emerald Marquis, but never did.

SAD!!

Sure makes sense. . .but when someone who is one of the most outspoken people on DCP PM's different people saying he marched different corps (none of which they did) just to gain favor with CMM's of those corps, I have a huge problem with that. But hey, in the end, nothing is more sad than someone like that. I guess the big punishment is them having to live with themselves. Not much more sad around here than an old washed-up wanna-be.

It is too bad that that happens, but even then, what you have is a series of PMs and not something posted publicly on the boards. So who's a moderator supposed to believe? It's one of those "###### if you do/###### if you don't" scenarios.

This is a very interesting thread and I'm actually surprised that no one has brought this up sooner. I can't tell you how many times I have dealt with people who claimed to have marched with or even taught various groups only to find out that they may have attended a camp or two or made it to the last cut . Why do it, in this day and age, it's too easy to expose the fraud.

It happens - there are many people out there that also say "ya, I could've marched with (???), but I didn't." That infuriates me. If you could've, then you should've. <snip>

With all due respect, I hope you reconsider that as a blanket statement for everyone. In my case, I "could have" marched Troopers in the late 70's, if I were able to turn back the clock. Mom detested my involvement in drum corps, and eventually made me quit when I was 16. Ten years later, she was fully supportive of my sister as she marched Troopers. I finally confronted her and asked her why she had such a double standard; not supporting me, but supporting my sister. Her answer was that she would have let me march in the Troopers, she just hated BK. Hearing that news at age 26 was just a few years too late.

To think I could have been a part of the legendary 79 corps (which would have been my age out year), and could have been a member of the famed "Black B****es (cause there is no doubt in my mind I would have worked my butt off to make that rifle line)....well.....I guess you get the picture. The only consolation I can give myself over the "could have's" that didn't happen is, if I rewrote history to place myself there, that means I would have displaced someone else from that line, thus denying them the experience. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

This is a very interesting thread and I'm actually surprised that no one has brought this up sooner. I can't tell you how many times I have dealt with people who claimed to have marched with or even taught various groups only to find out that they may have attended a camp or two or made it to the last cut . Why do it, in this day and age, it's too easy to expose the fraud.

Oh no... this topic is here on DCP. It was discussed last year much to the same extent this thread has discussed it. If you do a search for "lying about corps experience" the previous threads on this subject will be there.

I'm one of the few who don't mind at all when a topic is rehashed or brought up again. Some are very irritated by it... but who cares? Some of the people who know how to DO go back and revitalize old threads, some (like here) just start the topic over again. That's fine with me... it's only kind of funny when it's things like the "Top Secret Drumline" or "Celebrities who marched drum corps" threads... :sadlike::nervous:

But anyway... on topic: We all know people at our work who say they've done a heck of a lot more than they have, too. I work at O'Hare Airport, and we get guys who claim to have experience on equipment, but when you put them in front of it they have no clue what to do. I don't get it either why people do this. I've noticed here on DCP that some of the most insightful and knowledgeable folks are the ones who never marched in a corps or only marched in a small corps. And for what it's worth, I LOVE the Blue Devils... always have... but I would be just as proud to say I was in the Blue STARS as I was proud to say I was in the Blue Devils. That one up there kind of shocks me...

my favorite is when people lie about marching a corps the year i marched that corps. that's a good one.

To take that a step further, I have run into people who claimed to have marched with me not knowing until they got themselves totally embarrassed that they were talking to me. That was hilarious

Yesterday I received a photo from the photographer of a timing and penalty judge for a class B or C contest in southern Ontario in 1976. I didn’t recognize the photo until I confirmed it with old drum corps friends and some colleagues. It was me. Didn’t lie, just forgot. Now where did I put my glasses. :nervous:

The best one I have ever heard was when I was in high school, a girl I knew tried to convince me she earned a spot at the Cavaliers but had some conflict that prevented her from marching. I just smiled and made fun of her in my head....

OK, so she was a little confused. Scouts wear green too, ya know!

:nervous:

Garry in Vegas