Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

Not sure if you saw their show last year, but they had quite a bit of both. Arguably more than any corps out there.

This comes up in every argument. No one's arguing that they didn't have those things, they're arguing that they had things IN ADDITION to those things, namely vocals, which taints the product sometimes irrevocably (as was the case for me).

there can be no other director at this point. the reason the corps still exists is because hopkins found a way to keep it going through the dire straights of the 80s.

george hopkins is indelibly intertwined the the modern era of the corps. he put them back on the map, and has kept them there for nearly 30 years.

he's just continuing to forge new ground -- right or wrong, that's what they've always done. and, fwiw, i've seen hopkins in action at a rules congress, and he came across as reasonable to me.

but what do i know?

Nah - the number one complaint about cadets is George. A new corps director and a little less silliness at rules congress and design meetings and Cadets would have fans (including me) eating out of their hands because let's face it - they are incredibly talented.

As a spectator of both the Bluecoats and the Cadets shows, it seemed very clear to me that there was a huge difference in the spoken word used by each unit.

The Bluecoats used a "Dialog" in their show to emphasize a dramatic idea. "Stop drop your weapons!" There was no storyline spoken, just a character reference.

The Cadets used "Narration" or a narrative essay to relate and recount a storyline and specifically spoon fed the audience life experiences of specific people.

I totally see a difference, just as the other POSTER (who got slammed) had. And I too see a clear ability to have an opinion to choose one style over the other. (Or even the option to dislike both ~God forbid~)

(do not attack my grammar Texas and Whitedawn, get past it for once!)

Edited by Cop

Wow, I was reading every page of this thread and began saying to myself, "Wow, everyone sure is positive about this development", but then YOU happened...I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch...

Anyway, good move for GH trying to find a professional to help out with this. Hopefully it makes a difference. I am looking forward to seeing what happens.

Wow, "everybody" ?? Talk about distorting or altering reality.....the fact is most of us are just reading and shaking our heads, sick and tired of moaning and whining about the same old nonsense as each predictable poster, from BOTH sides adds nothing new to the discussion. Narration still stinks, is still a cop-out, a crutch, and still takes the place of true creativity.

Just who gives a darn anymore......

~G~

Wow, "everybody" ?? Talk about distorting or altering reality.....the fact is most of us are just reading and shaking our heads, sick and tired of moaning and whining about the same old nonsense as each predictable poster, from BOTH sides adds nothing new to the discussion. Narration still stinks, is still a cop-out, a crutch, and still takes the place of true creativity.

Just who gives a darn anymore......

~G~

Clearly... a lot of people... :grouphug:

Actually, the 'fact' is that most people are happy about this development. To this point in the thread, more people think this is a good move than not, and that isnt really debatable, since it is based on raw numbers. Are we rehashing some old debates?...maybe, but at least you admit it comes from both sides. As far as narration taking the place of true creativity, you can certainly feel that way, but I haven't quite given up on it yet. There were, without a doubt, some moments last year that were actually made better by narration in several of the top 7's shows. There were even more moments that were diminished by narration. I am waiting for the year when that trend reverses itself - maybe this will be the year.....

I hope they put some effort into finding professional voice actors as well. There's a certain amount of cliched cheesiness that comes about when non-professional actors attempt to recite lines in a dramatic fashion.

To me, that's what makes Cadets '07 difficult to listen to at times.

Granted, some of the speakers in last year's show were not that good. However, that one baritone player in the beginning ("we believe in progress...") was outstanding. Great voice.

Granted, some of the speakers in last year's show were not that good. However, that one baritone player in the beginning ("we believe in progress...") was outstanding. Great voice.

Agreed.

Now now TX... for the amount of time you spend on other threads taking people to task for either twisting words or inferring that which is not there, I think that you are in the wrong here. The Cadets used a LOT of narration... they told a complete story. Bluecoats, in effect, used sound effects. There is a HUGE difference in how each corps used their vocals last year, and if you really can't see that....

Just sayin'... ease off on the Defense Stick, m'kay?

It was a clear contradiction that needed to be pointed out, IMO. It was made obvious that one of the main things that bugged her was the narration telling what was going on on the field. . .then she said she was ok with Coats narration. Sorry. . .gotta call that one. But I will let it go now since you think I am being too harsh.

As a spectator of both the Bluecoats and the Cadets shows, it seemed very clear to me that there was a huge difference in the spoken word used by each unit.

The Bluecoats used a "Dialog" in their show to emphasize a dramatic idea. "Stop drop your weapons!" There was no storyline spoken, just a character reference.

The Cadets used "Narration" or a narrative essay to relate and recount a storyline and specifically spoon fed the audience life experiences of specific people.

I totally see a difference, just as the other POSTER (who got slammed) had. And I too see a clear ability to have an opinion to choose one style over the other. (Or even the option to dislike both ~God forbid~)

(do not attack my grammar Texas and Whitedawn, get past it for once!)

Sure there was a big difference in the two, but the issue is the use of narration to tell us what is going on on the field, which if you think about it Bluecoats were more guilty of than The Cadets.

Well....he's still in the corps, and he's also on dcp, so maybe we'll get to hear him again :grouphug: