Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

I do have a gripe with narration, but if we didn't have themes we wouldn't be needing an amplfied explanation for them.

Exactly. Sometimes less is more.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I can't think of many shows from the past decade that don't have themes.

Themes have been around since at least the 70's from my memory (Cadets - No More War - can somebody please play that Hovhannes symphony again?)

Sudden random thought - is this what the creativity thing is all about? We've run out of themes that we can easily portray so we have to get more esoteric and that requires that we tell you, the poor dumb Philistine audience, what we're talking about?

In a choice between "getting" the esoteric theme, and dumping the narration or the singing to inform me, guess which way I'll be going?

Themes have been around since at least the 70's from my memory (Cadets - No More War - can somebody please play that Hovhannes symphony again?)

Sudden random thought - is this what the creativity thing is all about? We've run out of themes that we can easily portray so we have to get more esoteric and that requires that we tell you, the poor dumb Philistine audience, what we're talking about?

In a choice between "getting" the esoteric theme, and dumping the narration or the singing to inform me, guess which way I'll be going?

Personally, i wish there wasnt such an emphasis on theme myself, but i do recognize that is a separate debate than the narration issue

Personally, i wish there wasnt such an emphasis on theme myself, but i do recognize that is a separate debate than the narration issue

I see a connection between them with a need for portraying a theme driving a desire to make it easy by just telling us what they're doing. Seperate perhaps, but related.

I see a connection between them with a need for portraying a theme driving a desire to make it easy by just telling us what they're doing. Seperate perhaps, but related.

Im not sure I buy the whole 'making it easy' bit. Im pretty sure the cadets have proved they can do it the old way plenty of times. I never really bought the narration as a crutch bit. If anything, it was more of a crutch when we added it midseason in 05 to make sense of our opening. Now I just think of it as another show design tool

I would hope the music scores go up if you are not moving...;-)

Check with BD and see if it worked for them.

Im not sure I buy the whole 'making it easy' bit. Im pretty sure the cadets have proved they can do it the old way plenty of times. I never really bought the narration as a crutch bit. If anything, it was more of a crutch when we added it midseason in 05 to make sense of our opening. Now I just think of it as another show design tool

Well - we will disagree on that one I guess.

Are you serious? Are you actually being serious? You can't really be serious. Did you throw up in your mouth when Crown or Bluecoats had those little lines in their shows? If you really are serious though then you have a really sensitive body. Maybe you should see a doctor about that.

I was just referring to Cadets...Crown and Bluecoats were gimmicky and ,while I could have done without it, not too distracting. Cadets use of amplified voice indeed made me sick to my stomach...and I have a cast iron stomach.

I was just referring to Cadets...Crown and Bluecoats were gimmicky and ,while I could have done without it, not too distracting. Cadets use of amplified voice indeed made me sick to my stomach...and I have a cast iron stomach.

Dude. Oscar nominations have already been announced for this year. And while you've consistently been giving a solid dramatic performance, I fear that the Academy will forget you by the time next year rolls around. Save your vomit for August where someone might actually take notice of it.