Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

Just my 2 cents. If you cannot convey what your show is about through the intednded medium of music and effect, voice will do nothing to help you. I saw the Cadets show last year 4 times and quite honestly they just don't get "IT" IMHO. Their show was like the perfect ice cream sundae then some d###### went and covered it with chocolate choking out all the good that was actually there.

no, not covered in chocolate....more like covered in broken glass and thumbtacks

Main Entry: crucial Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: important

Synonyms: acute, central, clamorous, climacteric, climatic, compelling, crucial, deciding, decisive, desperate, dire, essential, face off, high-priority, imperative, insistent, momentous, necessary, pivotal, pressing, searching, showdown*, touchy, urgent, vital

Antonyms: incidental, inessential, insignificant, trivial, unimportant

Notes: the words crucial, essential, and vital cannot be qualified (cannot be more or less...)

Since when does the word crucial mean make or break??

Uh, I read your post and I see: central, deciding, decisive, necessary, pivotal, and vital.

Those don't mean "make or break?"

Not that that argues for narration being MORE important than brass, perc, guard, drill, etc., but we all accept that if each one of them fails, so does the show. Ditto for narrative (whether that actually means "narration", as Lance pointed out, is kind of ambiguous) according to the title of the thread (and your apropos posting of the meaning of "crucial").

Your definition consists of one word: important.

According to dictionary.com:

crucial:

Involving an extremely important decision or result; decisive; critical: a crucial experiment.

Extremely significant or important: a crucial problem.

Vital to the resolution of a crisis; decisive: a crucial election. See Synonyms at decisive.

Of extreme importance; vital to the resolution of a crisis; "a crucial moment in his career"; "a crucial election"; "a crucial issue for women" [ant: noncrucial]

Having crucial relevance; "crucial to the case"; "relevant testimony"

Of the greatest importance; "the all-important subject of disarmament"; "crucial information"; "in chess cool nerves are of the essence"

I leave it to the readers for determining if crucial doesn't mean "make or break".

Edited by Dale Bari

As one would expect, there is narrative attached to the Cadets' 2008 production.

I don't think he's very ambigous here at all. Here, he's talking about an overall story...that's what narrative is. BD 97 had a narrative. Colts 07 had a narrative. Most shows have narrative. Narrative=story. Plain and simple.

We really do not need all that much assistance. At this juncture the voice contribution is restricted. But, what is there, is critical to the story and we want to produce this with the highest quality and the most efficient use of the word.

Here, he's saying that there won't be much narration used to convey the narrative. In short, this blog entry isn't saying that the show will be littered with narration. In fact, it seems that there will be less than last year. How much less remains to be seen, especially since it's still the preseason. All this blog entry says is that they want the narration--however much there is--to be the best quality possible as far as writing goes. Good luck to them.

I don't think he's very ambigous here at all. Here, he's talking about an overall story...that's what narrative is. BD 97 had a narrative. Colts 07 had a narrative. Most shows have narrative. Narrative=story. Plain and simple.

Here, he's saying that there won't be much narration used to convey the narrative. In short, this blog entry isn't saying that the show will be littered with narration. In fact, it seems that there will be less than last year. How much less remains to be seen, especially since it's still the preseason. All this blog entry says is that they want the narration--however much there is--to be the best quality possible as far as writing goes. Good luck to them.

I don't think everyone will really get the jist of what he's trying to explain until the season actually starts and we get to see exactly what he's talking about.

there were actually a bunch of us....the lines were quite long during their show. Corps have always done things from time to time that I didn't necessarily enjoy but did not feel compelled to leave...narration actually makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Are you serious? Are you actually being serious? You can't really be serious. Did you throw up in your mouth when Crown or Bluecoats had those little lines in their shows? If you really are serious though then you have a really sensitive body. Maybe you should see a doctor about that.

I don't think everyone will really get the jist of what he's trying to explain until the season actually starts and we get to see exactly what he's talking about.

Do we have to explain anything? This is drum corps, it's not the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Play some great music and forget about a "theme" for pete's sake.

Do we have to explain anything? This is drum corps, it's not the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Play some great music and forget about a "theme" for pete's sake.

It's only February but this may be the best post of the year. :blink:

Lol....your gripe is not with the cadets then. The issue of overly complex shows and themes spans many corps, and has little to do with the narration debate. Frankly, i think its pretty stupid to try and debate the specifics of the narration before they've even hired a writer, but hey, if it works as a cover for some other gripe, why not???

Lol....your gripe is not with the cadets then. The issue of overly complex shows and themes spans many corps, and has little to do with the narration debate. Frankly, i think its pretty stupid to try and debate the specifics of the narration before they've even hired a writer, but hey, if it works as a cover for some other gripe, why not???

My gripe has never been with the Cadets or any other corps that uses amped voice. I taught a corps that amped voice. I do have a gripe with narration, but if we didn't have themes we wouldn't be needing an amplfied explanation for them.