Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

The title of the thread...."Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program"

Responding to your post, remember. With a little imagination, you can actually, believe it or not, come up with a show that does not have any narration at all (gasp!)

A snare line, trumpets and guard, on the other hand, come in kinda handy....

Just my 2 cents. If you cannot convey what your show is about through the intednded medium of music and effect, voice will do nothing to help you. I saw the Cadets show last year 4 times and quite honestly they just don't get "IT" IMHO. Their show was like the perfect ice cream sundae then some d###### went and covered it with chocolate choking out all the good that was actually there.

The intended medium of their show included narration. It was part and parcel of the show, not an add-on.

Thankfully, he said narration was going to be pretty sparse. Again, people should read his post in his blog. A narrative can be conveyed without narration...narrative is simply storytelling, and you'd be hard pressed to find a show from the past decade without narrative. Narration is just a new tool corps have a their disposal for conveying narrative, and Mr. Hopkins said that right now, narration is a very small part of the show.

Responding to your post, remember. With a little imagination, you can actually, believe it or not, come up with a show that does not have any narration at all (gasp!)

Actually, the Cadets used more than a little imagination to come up with many great shows that didn't utilize narration. Now, the Cadets are, god forbid, putting a new twist on things and using imagination utilizing narration to try and create great shows (gasp!)

Actually, the Cadets used more than a little imagination to come up with many great shows that didn't utilize narration. Now, the Cadets are, god forbid, putting a new twist on things and using imagination utilizing narration to try and create great shows (gasp!)

I know - I've seen a few non-narration Cadet shows and generally really enjoyed them all, especially 2000. I think you need to go back to MikeD's post that I was responding to in order to get the context of what I was saying to him.

Back on topic.......

So, narration is to be crucial to the 2008 production ? hmm.....So either it will make or break the show and that means spoken voice, through a microphone, is more important to this production than brass, and percussion, and colorguard....great. You live by narration, then you die by narration. Should it not go over, that means this will be a failure and the rest of the elements of todays marching ensemble are secondary. Great. Nothing was learned from last year.

~G~

Main Entry: crucial Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: important

Synonyms: acute, central, clamorous, climacteric, climatic, compelling, crucial, deciding, decisive, desperate, dire, essential, face off, high-priority, imperative, insistent, momentous, necessary, pivotal, pressing, searching, showdown*, touchy, urgent, vital

Antonyms: incidental, inessential, insignificant, trivial, unimportant

Notes: the words crucial, essential, and vital cannot be qualified (cannot be more or less...)

Since when does the word crucial mean make or break?? Where did he say more important than brass, perc & guard? Stop hearing what you think you hear. Oh, then again............

oh yeah, what where they to learn from last year?? Another poor top 3 placement?

Edited by Stream of Consciousness

I seriously doubt The Cadets and their narration is the first time someone has had something ni their show you did not enjoy.

Go ahead. . .get that hot dog. More room in the stands for other people. You are the one missing out.

there were actually a bunch of us....the lines were quite long during their show. Corps have always done things from time to time that I didn't necessarily enjoy but did not feel compelled to leave...narration actually makes me throw up in my mouth a little.