Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

Just my 2 cents. If you cannot convey what your show is about through the intednded medium of music and effect, voice will do nothing to help you. I saw the Cadets show last year 4 times and quite honestly they just don't get "IT" IMHO. Their show was like the perfect ice cream sundae then some d###### went and covered it with chocolate choking out all the good that was actually there.

Actually, that would lead one to believe that the chocolate actually fit in the equation. A more accurate analoge would be that the corps had a perfect sundae of Ice cream, toppings, and sauces and someone went and loaded it down with anchovies.

It just doesnt fit.

~G~

I agree with you on this...I doubt many would quit in the middle of the season, but finding out the show design is not something you like during the winter months is another story. They do have the choice to not stay. You have to like the show you are performing too...along with the fellow members, staff etc...its part of the entire equation, imho. It would be hard to be in "corps of my dreams" but hate the show...not much of a dream. There are more things to consider then a potential ring on my finger at the end of the season.

But there you go again with the 'hate the show' concept. By all accounts, this years cadets show is going to include narration between the pieces to kind of set the stage, and at least in the clips ive heard, very little narration during the music. If you loved the horn book (easy to believe), loved the concept, like the visual possibilities, loved the drum beats, but werent a huge fan of narration, would that qualify as 'hating the show'?

Actually, that would lead one to believe that the chocolate actually fit in the equation. A more accurate analoge would be that the corps had a perfect sundae of Ice cream, toppings, and sauces and someone went and loaded it down with anchovies.

It just doesnt fit.

~G~

Lol...but most people dont even like anchovies anyway.... :lookaround:

Back on topic.......

So, narration is to be crucial to the 2008 production ? hmm.....So either it will make or break the show and that means spoken voice, through a microphone, is more important to this production than brass, and percussion, and colorguard....great. You live by narration, then you die by narration. Should it not go over, that means this will be a failure and the rest of the elements of todays marching ensemble are secondary. Great. Nothing was learned from last year.

~G~

It just doesnt fit.

~G~

Maybe they used sorbet and the only way you would know was if the told you.

Back on topic.......

So, narration is to be crucial to the 2008 production ? hmm.....So either it will make or break the show and that means spoken voice, through a microphone, is more important to this production than brass, and percussion, and colorguard....great. You live by narration, then you die by narration. Should it not go over, that means this will be a failure and the rest of the elements of todays marching ensemble are secondary. Great. Nothing was learned from last year.

~G~

Now i dont get this. How are the rest of the elements secondary again? If the show has a crappy drumline with poor writing or delivery that ruins the show, does that negate the rest of the performance? The answer is yes actually (IMO) which proves my point that narration is no different than any other show design element. Your logic is really starting to get too twisted for me

.....well, there you go !!!!

~G~

Yeah, i saw that coming and went for it anyway...

but i dont mind anchovies on pizza actually... :lookaround::omg:

In a sense, yes, all marching members are mindless automatons. Weren't you when you marched? You do what they tell you, when they tell you, how to do it, and how long it should take. God forbid you question your techs... That would be one hell of a day, eh? If a kid had said "George, I don't want to carry a pink picnic table. This is just dumb," I think he'd not have finished the season...

it's clear that you've never spent any time around the cadets.

it's clear that you've never spent any time around the cadets.

Ehh....hes got a point. I mean, george and others will engage in debates with the members about various aspects of the show, and occasionally even get ideas from the corps, but as far as doing what you're told, and not arguing with the staff - thats true about 99% of the time