Most impressive mello feature

oh duh, this too. They had some great parts in Blue Shades.

~>conner

Oh man, I love the ascending mello runs leading to the end. Dahh-diddlyahhh dah, dahh-diddlyahh dah dahhhh...

Done deal--91 Star.

Close the thread.

Wow, I don't know where to start. There are just so many.

Well I liked a lot of stuff 98 Cadets mellos had, especially a lot of the trills they had that year.

And, of course, 97 Cadets

..some things in 2003 Cavies...

I'll have to come back to this....

Star of Indiana wins this battle pretty much any year they played. The Cadets used to give Star a "run" for their money. In fact, the staff at Garfield that later went to the Cadets were the people responsible for much of the mellophone awesomeness at both corps. There have been some GREAT mello/french horn lines in DCI's history.

Star 86 (RUNS, RUNS), 88 ( The mello part in the "Bess You is My Woman Now fanfare is haunting ), 1989 ( So many runs in that British show), 1990 - 92

Garfield 1983-1986, 1992,1993, 1997

Crown 07

Madison Scouts 1986 ( Starlight Express Mello rips)

Cavies 2003 ( TONE), 2005

BD 1985, 1993

**edit for grammar and to add a little more opinion**

Edited by jjeffeory

Star's entire 1991 show. Awesome mellos.

Fran

a couple of people have included solos into a thread i took to be about solis, and i want to include one. i am not sure which year it's from, but i found a copy of the blue devils in the late 70's playing legend of the one eyed sailor in a gym on a not to be named internet source. theres a solo on an alto horn that not only rips, but cuts clear across the entire ensemble at the end of the song when the hornline does that traditional jump in on top of the last solo at full volume outtro thing. it's a very, very impressive piece of work, and the rest of the section is ballsout as well.

Star 91..Although I won't argue too much against their 90 line. Both were amazing. No one has come close since.

1998 Crossmen, ALL of First Circle

I can never get enough of it.

91 Phantom Regiment solo in Nessun Dorma

Ding ding ding! "Phantom Voices." :tongue:

I heard Phantom several times that year. Early in the season I heard that passage played as a solo mello, then a week later they played the same thing but this time with the entire mellophone section (with more volume). It sounded fantastic, but a week later they switched back to the solo mello guy, and the rest is drum corps history.

+++

Despite my fondness for that passage, for pure emotion the first time I heard it and everytime after, I really loved the 1983 Garfield Cadets mello solo near the end, played by the girl with one hand. You can't understand from the recordings how fantastic that section was when heard live, you had to be there. The beautiful sonorous sound simply resonated throughout EVERYONE in the stadium, no matter where you sat. I heard it ten times that season, from their first show in June to their last performance run-through in the Orange Bowl AFTER they won finals.

It was perfect every time.