madison and cavies?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a survey of women reported that 95% of females want these corps to remain all male.

And... "60% of the time, it works every time." :guinesssmilie:

He is referring to the fact that the Boy Scouts do not allow homosexuals or atheists to join. However, I believe this is also only for the actual boy scout troops and not venturing troops such as the Scouts.

Hmmmmmmmm?

Robert Baden-Powell,

Founder of the World Scout Movement,

Chief Scout of the World

A number of biographers have suggested Baden-Powell’s homosexuality.

Tim Jeal, author of The Life of Lord Baden-Powell, argues, “The available evidence points inexorably to the conclusion that Baden-Powell was a repressed homosexual.” Information gleaned from Baden-Powell’s diary and correspondence indicates that he often expressed enjoyment at watching young men swim naked; enjoyed pictures of nude men; expressed disdain for female nudity. Also cited is Baden-Powell’s extremely close, decades-long friendship with Kenneth McLaren, with whom he served in the British Military and always made sure he bunked.

(ref: The Life of Lord Baden-Powell by Tim Jeal (1990); Eminent Edwardians by Piers Brendon (1979); The Character Factory: Baden-Powell and The Origins of the Boy Scout Movement by Michael Rosenthal (1986); Advocate Magazine, 31 Dec 1992 issue).

I can tell you that in the UK Venture Scouts have to pledge to be a member...

BBS Pledge 1993.

1. On my honour I will Love God; Honour the Queen; Respect all.

2. On my honour I will without fear or reward, protect the weak, defend the helpless and assist my neighbour.

3. On my honour I will keep the Scout Law.

Hmmmmmmmm?

Robert Baden-Powell,

Founder of the World Scout Movement,

Chief Scout of the World

Tim Jeal, author of The Life of Lord Baden-Powell, argues, “The available evidence points inexorably to the conclusion that Baden-Powell was a repressed homosexual.” Information gleaned from Baden-Powell’s diary and correspondence indicates that he often expressed enjoyment at watching young men swim naked; enjoyed pictures of nude men; expressed disdain for female nudity. Also cited is Baden-Powell’s extremely close, decades-long friendship with Kenneth McLaren, with whom he served in the British Military and always made sure he bunked.

(ref: The Life of Lord Baden-Powell by Tim Jeal (1990); Eminent Edwardians by Piers Brendon (1979); The Character Factory: Baden-Powell and The Origins of the Boy Scout Movement by Michael Rosenthal (1986); Advocate Magazine, 31 Dec 1992 issue).

http://www.bsalegal.org/faqs-195.asp

Your point?

At no point did I say that the guy couldn't just be a hypocrite.

Also, I kinda doubt that a guy who has been dead for 67 years has a whole lot of bearing on the policies of BSA today

As an FMM of an all-male corps, it's very difficult to imagine what drum corps would have been like with females as marching members. I mean, it's not as if I've never marched with girls in band before....and I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say here. I guess I'm just reflecting on my own corps experience, and thinking about how integral the all-male aspect was. In my younger days, I couldn't have ever imagined marching an entire summer, let alone 3, sans women...

I'm an alumnus of Kappa Kappa Psi as well, though I was never very active in the organization past my pledge semester. Until the 70s, KKPsi was an all-male fraternity, but I believe they were forced to integrate in the 70s after the passing of Title IX. From what little I have read, it appears the social fraternities are exempt for whatever reason (my ignorant, cynical, and uninformed opinion is that social fraternity alumni in government might have had something to do with this). I wonder what sort of backlash that caused back then...all I know is that until very recently, very few women were involved in my home chapter. I'm pretty sure one of the officers of the frat when I first joined was only the second woman in the chapter's history, but it seems, especially in the past couple of years, that the lines have been blurred quite a bit...in both directions...many women in KKPsi, and a few men in Tau Beta Sigma as well...mister sisters, they call them.

If one day legal action somehow forced the Cavaliers or Scouts to integrate, I'm not sure either corps would survive.

"It's not that The Cavaliers think men can do it better, or that women couldn't hack it, it's that they want to rejoice in the brotherhood that can only be felt by working, sweating, and bleeding with other men. It's a special type of bond. There are a lot of excellent corps out there that accept women; The Cavaliers do not.

Is The Cavaliers being all-male what makes them great? No, it's part of what makes them The Cavaliers."

Apologies for the disjunct post...just wanted to get some thoughts out there..

There may come a day when the First Amendment free association rights of groups like the BSA (and the Cavies and Scouts) are interpreted such that laws (that would now apply but for current First Am. jursiprudence) will permit the government to sanction them for excluding certain groups. After all, the BSA case was 5-4.

Should the Cavies and Scouts some day be forced to integrate girls, there would be challenges. However, if their finances are sound, their alumni and other donors are placated concerning the transition, and there are staffs and products attract kids, the corps could survive and even thrive (especially in a era when judges reward literal portrayals of stories and themes -- such as the "Carmen Project" and Phantom's 2005 and 2006 shows).

As an FMM of an all-male corps, it's very difficult to imagine what drum corps would have been like with females as marching members. I mean, it's not as if I've never marched with girls in band before....and I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say here. I guess I'm just reflecting on my own corps experience, and thinking about how integral the all-male aspect was. In my younger days, I couldn't have ever imagined marching an entire summer, let alone 3, sans women...

OTOH...Garfield added girls for 1969, guard only, when the Little Falls Cadets guard moved en masse to Garfield when the Little Falls corps folded. Hasn't seemed to hurt them.

Blessed Sac added a girl guard in the early 70's when they were trying to hang on....Kilties ditto later in the 70's.