madison and cavies?

i'm not going to graduate from law school for a few weeks, so take this for what its worth:

only the government can violate a citizen's civil rights. that is, the constitution cannot be violated by non-state actors. the ONLY possible thing that can happen is that the IRS could revoke the 501 c 3 tax status of the organization, but the government (especially administrative entities) will almost NEVER interfere in a "traditional" activity on discrimination grounds.

if corps were organizations that did not qualify for special tax status, they could permissibly put up a sign on the door that said "no [insert name of group here] allowed" and there would be no private right of action.

plus, what woman would sue the scouts or cavaliers? they would be aged out before the case made it through all the appeals they would lose.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I for one joined Madison because I knew for sure there would be no girls in the corps. They have kooties, you know. And it certainly wasn't possible that there could be a girl who was as good a snare drummer as I was, so I wanted to prove my total dominance and power over women by keeping them all out from where I marched.

And we had secret "girls are weird" and "we discriminate" meetings when I was in... and you had to know the "Guys only" handshake to make it into the club. It really wound up being great in the long run... because we kept all those inferior and less talented girls out, and we liked it that way for that reason. It was indeed all a big conspiracy against women in general.

The secret is out.

And anyway... it was good to get away from that girl in the Guardsmen snare line I was in with, Cindy I., who could play snare drum and read music much better than I could back when I was still learning, and who took time out to come work with me on sticking and parts in the band practice rooms at Harper College. I knew I had to get someplace where she couldn't be better than I was.

ummmmmmm... wait... :ph34r:

Does it really matter? She was awesome and the center of the show. 2005 Madison was great!

So as long as whatever a corps does is "awesome" it is irrelevent as to how it applies to the "rules"? (For the record I agree that she and that show were awesome, but I think as far as this topic goes it blurs the lines)

1. Speaking only for my female self, I've never had a problem with gender-specific corps membership. As someone else said, there are plenty of corps opportunities for females, so there's no issue with that.

2. The "scout" organization factor for some corps may be insurance related. I'm not sure if it's still happening, but the Troopers organization was insured through a scouting organization when I marched. I assume Madison is still in this category.

3. Someone mentioned a lawsuit in the 80s, after which SCV started accepting females into their horn and drum lines. Never heard of that. Anyone have info other than hearsay?

2. The "scout" organization factor for some corps may be insurance related.

Yeah...the costs are a LOT lower!! That's how En Garde is getting both it's non-profit status and insurance coverage.

3. Someone mentioned a lawsuit in the 80s, after which SCV started accepting females into their horn and drum lines. Never heard of that. Anyone have info other than hearsay?

Not sure about SCV in teh 80s....but I seem to recall something about Mandarins in the 90s?? I didn;t see a white face in that corps for years back when the size used to flucutate wildly from year to year (but withOUT a drop in quality)

i'm not going to graduate from law school for a few weeks, so take this for what its worth:

only the government can violate a citizen's civil rights. that is, the constitution cannot be violated by non-state actors.

This is not correct. One example is that any private business with 15 or more employees can be sued for violating equal employment opportunity laws, which are part of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

maybe you are confusing civil rights with constitutional rights?

So as long as whatever a corps does is "awesome" it is irrelevent as to how it applies to the "rules"? (For the record I agree that she and that show were awesome, but I think as far as this topic goes it blurs the lines)

So in other words you agree but are arguing just for the sake of arguing? Makes sense - this is DCP after all!

This is not correct. One example is that any private business with 15 or more employees can be sued for violating equal employment opportunity laws, which are part of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

maybe you are confusing civil rights with constitutional rights?

Madison Scouts and Cavies are not "employees". They are not "hired". They are not-for-profit organizations. And if you want to talk about it from a staff stand point, we had female guard staff my age out year.