Here it is - Madison's 2008 Program!

As I was researching the music, I found there is no ballad...

No ballad?

Madison's ballads have been quite boring the last several years. IMO. No ballad may be a good thing.

Man, the mellos sound mighty strong for early season.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The theme is not the focus of the show, that would be the music and the drill; it's a necessary addendum mandated by the current structure of the DCI judging system, nothing more.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA!!!

Got ya! Thank you! I'll be reviewing the sheets to see exactly how their show announcements "mean" anything to the judges. I'm not bagging on anyone (certainly not you Hrothgar), BUT, to me to see Madison's written "judo" about their show seems awfully over the top, to the point at least to me, that it's getting to be sort of silly.

I'm still rubbing my eyes and making sure I didn't read that show description incorrectly. Am I to understand that a major drum and bugle corps is using....wait a second....let me look at that again...ok...yeah...I didn't misread that...ok, so...let me get this straight.

AN IGUANA?!?!?

Am I just showing my age here and being grumpy by saying, "For the love of Pete, just come out and PLAY SOME MUSIC!!!!!!! MARCH SOME DRILL!!! MAKE MY EARS BLEED AND CAUSE ME TO SCREAM LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!!!"

AN IGUANA?!?!? As a METAPHOR?!?! In a DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUM CORPS SHOW!?!?!?!?

Yeah...I think I need to go drink more diet Coke. Yet again, the activity befuddles me. For me, less on the literary expositions into deep thinking, and more "BLOW MY FACE OFF!!!" I think that's what still sells tickets, yes?

And a quick edit afterthought: Do the judges CARE that the iguana is a metaphor as the observer of the Latin culture??? Is that a G.E. point? I'm confused...

I like this post. A lot.

Mid-80s Michael Jackson, much?

Eh, now that you mention it, it does have that Elvis/M. Jackson look to it. All those belts and bucket do it. Stylewise says Elvis. So what does an iguana have to do with Elvis and Jackson? :tongue:

And Ryan, I do agree. I've never been a fan of the concept show since they only thing it does is tie together disassociative music (like pre-90s shows) and makes it sound like high art.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA!!!

Got ya! Thank you! I'll be reviewing the sheets to see exactly how their show announcements "mean" anything to the judges. I'm not bagging on anyone (certainly not you Hrothgar), BUT, to me to see Madison's written "judo" about their show seems awfully over the top, to the point at least to me, that it's getting to be sort of silly.

This is nothing new, either. I'm reminded of the Crossmen's 1992 show announcement. And even, say, Madison's 1995 show had a "theme" with probably as much emphasis as with this show. I'm not sure if there are any records of the show announcement for that year but I'd be willing to bet you'd find some similarities.

Mid-80s Michael Jackson, much?

Hey guys ....

Maybe they chose an iguana because it changes colors just like Michael Jackson?

I can't believe that everyone's panties got all ruffled up over something as insignificant as this.

(That might be a good spot for a "that's what she said," actually.)

I can't believe that everyone's panties got all ruffled up over something as insignificant as this.

No...it was just my panties, Cousin Paul.

I'm still rubbing my eyes and making sure I didn't read that show description incorrectly. Am I to understand that a major drum and bugle corps is using....wait a second....let me look at that again...ok...yeah...I didn't misread that...ok, so...let me get this straight.

AN IGUANA?!?!?

Am I just showing my age here and being grumpy by saying, "For the love of Pete, just come out and PLAY SOME MUSIC!!!!!!! MARCH SOME DRILL!!! MAKE MY EARS BLEED AND CAUSE ME TO SCREAM LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!!!"

AN IGUANA?!?!? As a METAPHOR?!?! In a DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUM CORPS SHOW!?!?!?!?

Yeah...I think I need to go drink more diet Coke. Yet again, the activity befuddles me. For me, less on the literary expositions into deep thinking, and more "BLOW MY FACE OFF!!!" I think that's what still sells tickets, yes?

And a quick edit afterthought: Do the judges CARE that the iguana is a metaphor as the observer of the Latin culture??? Is that a G.E. point? I'm confused...

DC shows have always had a concept. They may be more thought out now a days and not just "jazz show" or "latin show".

Let's put a corps out on the field and have them play music and march drill without any kind of thought proccess. Let's have them play loud 80% of the time. Now that kind of corps would never get old or boring....ever. :tongue:

Just not getting into the music clip at all - doesn't sound like a top 12 show. There were just too many places where my mind wanders and it sounds like filler and excercises. I continue to be amazed how people hear what they want to hear when it comes to certain corps. There were a number of you who ripped a poorly recorded 30 second Crown clip apart and tore into their hornline yet people have actually been praising the performance quality of this Madison clip. It's favoritism like this that makes me glad they DON'T allow the fans to judge shows.

It's really hard to pass judgment on a clip like this, but I agree with you. The musical composition seems to lack an overall sense of unity, structure, and resolution of events. It seems to me like percussion breaks and forced sections of music that don't relate. I'd bet that there will be ghost writing and it will be very different book by the time we get to the middle of the summer.