Cadets

my .02 cents on booing:

i think the people complaining about boos in the stands, castigating those who do it and wanting a no booing allowed environment are off their rockers. i think this for a couple of reasons. one, booing is alegitimately acceptable form of feedback, just like clapping and cheering are. of course we would all prefer a world where all we hear are the cheers, but people don't like everything, and sometimes dislike something so strongly their only honest feedback is going to be a negative. if you don't want to hear boos you need to find a way to please your audience, not legislate against the use of booing as a feedback device.

also, when you seel tickets to these shows you are selling the audience the psace and time they occupy during the show, and you should expect them to do whatever the hell they want to do during that space and time. if they want to stand up and clap, thats their right. if they want to wander off and buy a hotdog instead of booing, thats also their right. and if they want to boo to things that displease them thats their right too. we have pretty well established social conventions in this country. things like throwing debris on the field, using pyrotechnic devices, physical confrontations are all unacceptable. any auditory exclamation intended to express an opinion of the show is considered wholly acceptable in an outdoor arena as long as it isn't profanity in front of children. so booing, well, you might not like it, but its a relevant part of our culture, and one that a majority of people accepts.

and its not a bad thing, lets face it, theres nothing like drum corps to show you some raw, real time customer feedback. drum corps is a ticket and souvy selling business, and as such, customer feedback should be paramount. believe me, i make my living generating customer interaction systems for corporations, and its a pretty good living. this stuff is important, in all forms, and all shapes and sizes. if i were consulting for a drum corps one part of my advisory package would be having a dedicated staff member review every comment about the corps on dcp every week, for instance. and i'd develop a metric for measuring audience feedback from live shows, to see whats working and whats holding them back.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"bubble gum is a tool available to bridge builders, but aside from Minnesota, it's not widely used, or in fact encouraged by those using said bridges."

Wow. That comment was unfortunate.

No - it was idiotic :laughing:

It's interesting how crowds react to the Cadets vis a vis other narration-heavy shows. I don't recall booing in response to the BD '05, Cascades '05 and Bluestars '06 shows (though BD was criticized and mocked on-line for the Yowzas).

Edited by Legalhack

my .02 cents on booing:

i think the people complaining about boos in the stands, castigating those who do it and wanting a no booing allowed environment are off their rockers. i think this for a couple of reasons. one, booing is alegitimately acceptable form of feedback, just like clapping and cheering are. of course we would all prefer a world where all we hear are the cheers, but people don't like everything, and sometimes dislike something so strongly their only honest feedback is going to be a negative. if you don't want to hear boos you need to find a way to please your audience, not legislate against the use of booing as a feedback device.

also, when you seel tickets to these shows you are selling the audience the psace and time they occupy during the show, and you should expect them to do whatever the hell they want to do during that space and time. if they want to stand up and clap, thats their right. if they want to wander off and buy a hotdog instead of booing, thats also their right. and if they want to boo to things that displease them thats their right too. we have pretty well established social conventions in this country. things like throwing debris on the field, using pyrotechnic devices, physical confrontations are all unacceptable. any auditory exclamation intended to express an opinion of the show is considered wholly acceptable in an outdoor arena as long as it isn't profanity in front of children. so booing, well, you might not like it, but its a relevant part of our culture, and one that a majority of people accepts.

and its not a bad thing, lets face it, theres nothing like drum corps to show you some raw, real time customer feedback. drum corps is a ticket and souvy selling business, and as such, customer feedback should be paramount. believe me, i make my living generating customer interaction systems for corporations, and its a pretty good living. this stuff is important, in all forms, and all shapes and sizes. if i were consulting for a drum corps one part of my advisory package would be having a dedicated staff member review every comment about the corps on dcp every week, for instance. and i'd develop a metric for measuring audience feedback from live shows, to see whats working and whats holding them back.

Here's my take on booing - it's disrespectful, but hey, we covered all this last year and we all went on about our right to act in a certain way...

If someone booed during ANY national anthem to show their displeasure at a governments actions it would be deemed disrespectful and you could fully expect to get lynched. If I turn up at your kids nativity play and boo because I don't like the script/use of props/choice of carols I would get thrown out.

When you sit next to me and boo my son and his friends after all the hard work they put into their program this summer then fully expect me to ask you which corps you like and just as they begin their show I will stand up and obstruct your view. Heck, I may even fart in your face for good measure.

It's interesting how crowds react to the Cadets vis a vis other narration-heavy shows. I don't recall booing in response to the BD '05, Cascades '05 and Bluestars '06 shows (though BD was criticized and mocked on-line for the Yowzas).

I can't remember off the top of my head, but wasn't Pacific Crest '07 and Crossmen '06 more towards the heavy-side of narration? And what about Carolina Crown '04? That made it on the Classic Countdown!

:laughing:

I can't remember off the top of my head, but wasn't Pacific Crest '07 and Crossmen '06 more towards the heavy-side of narration? And what about Carolina Crown '04? That made it on the Classic Countdown!

Yes, they were, and that was unfortunate. :laughing:

Edited by BigSnareline

No - it was idiotic :laughing:

yes it was....simile's are that way, sometimes...

bridge-bubblegum

drum corps-narration

there's no place in bridges for bubblegum, as there is no place in drum corps for narration...maybe in someone's bastardized wanna-be bandesque fantasy, but not in drum corps.

both are in poor taste...(ok..mine was REALLY in bad taste, but it got the point across)

march faster...march more difficult designs...play music that 10 years ago, people could only dream of, but leave narration to Sean Hannity.